What for grub?

fleblebleb

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to second the vote for Tasty Bites Indian Food. A little heavy, so you eat it on the first day out. Add chicken and you really have a feast. sometimes I think I'll nver get lightweight and tasty in the same sentence. All the good stuff weighs.

I'd like to add here that Dru seems to have a liking for canned peaches, but that may be more of a camping sort of thing.

I tried to do some stuff with a food dehydrator last year but it was all sort of nasty. Anyone have good luck with this?

Couscous is the ticket: light, easy to cook, high carbs & glycemic index... like to spice it up with something from the bulk spices section, summa the greens littering Muir snowfield from people not roasting in the hut, add some tuna or maybe salami... Ummmmmmmm. Ate different couscous for 4 dinners straight on a trip a few weeks ago and didn't die, so it's got a lot going for it.

Or cheese fondue.

And I like a Nalgene of riesling to wash it down with...

--cd

chocolate covered espresso beans are a must (or tylenol for the ensuing headache due to no caffiene), something tasty for the summit (muffin, nutty bar), snyders pretzles, some gu for emergencies, something simple to cook for dinner (rice, no cous cous, pasta, etc).

Hi Allison,

The dehydrators working fine if you cut the veggies or meats to a small pieces also in order to achieve good results you need a good dehydrator (i.e. even and constant heating temperature in the dehydrator) the one I have very good experience with is Excalibur it will pay in the long run for it self with the money you save on food BTW there is nothing out there like home cooking dehydrated food

[geek][big Grin][smile]

i always have a can or two of buswiser in my pack....well worth the weight!!!

also dehydrated food is extremly inefficent....you need too much water to process....but either way eat away or i'll have seconds!!!!

but no sharing my beer!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

What about good old BACON. Ed Abbey, in his books, is always cookin bacon for breakfast. You take a pound or so and fry it up good and you arent gonna get cold AT ALL during the day. Bacon taped over a blister will also heal it, and you can cut a slit in the bacon and put it over your eyes if you forgot your sunglasses....
[Wink]

Read Wm. O'Douglas's "Of Men and Mountains"

They went on two-week hikes with a cast-iron skillet, five pound sacks of beans, flour, sugar, slabs of bacon, etc, all rolled up in a blanket.

You could use the skillet for glissades, which cleans the bottom.

quote:

Originally posted by Alpine Tom:

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

What about good old BACON. Ed Abbey, in his books, is always cookin bacon for breakfast. You take a pound or so and fry it up good and you arent gonna get cold AT ALL during the day. Bacon taped over a blister will also heal it, and you can cut a slit in the bacon and put it over your eyes if you forgot your sunglasses....
[Wink]

Read Wm. O'Douglas's "Of Men and Mountains"

They went on two-week hikes with a cast-iron skillet, five pound sacks of beans, flour, sugar, slabs of bacon, etc, all rolled up in a blanket.

You could use the skillet for glissades, which cleans the bottom.

Eating beans and bacon 3x/day for a week will clean the [Moon] too from gas expulsion.

Snafflehoundjaeger and peregrine wingz... justlike in the "olden days" when climbers used to bag goats and marmots for dinner... now all them critters are gone so we must eat the plentiful 'hound.

Whiskey jacks can be trained to land in your hand too. They are feathery but 24 or so would make a good pie.

[big Grin] Who am I kidding. I take along extra nuts just to feed to the alpine moochers.