dehydrated states of america

G-spotter

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst of all for some, the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg, Tenn., has warned it may have to reduce or suspend production, because the iron-free spring waters on which it relies are flowing as much as two-thirds below normal.

OMG! :o

We have lots of water. We just waste most of it. When water gets very scarce, we'll decide to waste less of it. By this I mean recycled waste water. Currently most of it goes into rivers and oceans instead of being reused. Waste water can be used to irrigate ornamental plantings.

"Tuscon and Phoenix — with populations of a million and four million, respectively — are sprawling toward each other, and are expected to merge in the next decade. Planners project a Phoenix-Tucson population of 10 million within 30 years. Even without worsening drought, that will exceed the capacity of existing water supplies — and Phoenix has supplemented its groundwater supplies by diverting rivers, such as the Colorado. Further increasing Phoenix's water capacity could mean impoverishing water supplies elsewhere."

Ooooh I have an idea! How about we don't build a megalopolis in the middle of the f'ing desert. :rolleyes:

We have lots of water. We just waste most of it. When water gets very scarce, we'll decide to waste less of it. By this I mean recycled waste water. Currently most of it goes into rivers and oceans instead of being reused. Waste water can be used to irrigate ornamental plantings.

America is draining/polluting its aquifers at a phenominal rate to support its meat-centric diet. A huge threat to Canada-US relations in the next few decades will be the shared water resources (lakes and underground aquifers).

Once it gets scarce enough it'll make economic sense to install graywater and rain-catchment systems in homes, etc, etc, etc and people will start to use way less clean water, and recycle the water that they do use 2-3X before it hits the sewer. There'll also be plenty of incentive for agricultural and industrial users to conserve water when prices get high enough. Yawn.

On idea that's very expensive right now but might make a lot of sense in the future is the whole green roof system. Instead of standard roofing you have a bunch of plants of the right varieties growing on your roof.

Right now you can store up water from the roof of your house, but you have to flush away the first bit of rain water due to all the nasty current roofing debris that comes off the top of your house every time it rains.

Just imagine what'll happen when we can no longer light our homes with whale-oil lanterns, or heat our homes with timber, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The end is nigh....

It'll be 'the end' of this rockin' party when this is no longer possible, or in other words, when we've grown to our limits.

It is also important to recognize that growth is not strictly defined by population size--the quantity and growth rate of consumption per capita is a far more appropriate measure.

Edited by ashw_justin

Funny, I went deep-water soloing both days this weekend an hour from Flagstaff. 25 to 85 feet deep! Plenty of water!

And now the people of Flagstaff can sleep easy knowing that the water they drink have cleansed the sweat off your nuts.

That's the least of the worry. There are hundreds of people throwing their trash in the reservoir every weekend. We picked up a fair bit coming back Sunday.

We also witnessed a drunk indian guy flop from 50 feet, knocked unconscious, floating face-down and he lost wind. His drunk friends saved him (barely) as we motored back after hearing the "flop".

Where's my flake cam to test? :wave:

Once it gets scarce enough it'll make economic sense to install graywater and rain-catchment systems in homes, etc, etc, etc and people will start to use way less clean water, and recycle the water that they do use 2-3X before it hits the sewer. There'll also be plenty of incentive for agricultural and industrial users to conserve water when prices get high enough. Yawn.

In Colorado, it's illegal to collect water from your roof.

In Colorado, it's illegal to collect water from your roof.

I'd imagine that in Colorado this is a water rights issue more than anything else. I'm pretty sure that it would be easy to do a back-of-the-envelope calculation of the total surface area of all of the roofs in a given drainage and show that the effect of residential rainwater harvesting on total runoff would be negligible, but even in the event that it wasn't, some greywater recycling seems like it would be unaffected by those regs.

Looks like commercial systems that allow drainwater from showers and washing machines for toilet-flushing run about $1200-$1500, plus probably $300 for shipping, and whatever installation costs - which is probably somewhere around $400-$600 I'd imagine. I don't have any idea what our water bill is, but as things stand now I can't imagine that installing one of these deals pencils out for most families, but I expect that would change in the event that water rates increased substantially.

http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/Public/Energy-WaterConservation/GreywaterSystems/index.cfm