Climbing, how much, how difficult and for how long

minddoc

how much, how difficult and for how long  

237 members have voted

1. 1. how much, how difficult and for how long

I wrote my dissertation on mountaineering and coping with stress. I believe that climbers have something in their psychology which can be helpful for those struggling with psychological problems. One of my findings was that there are few people who climb for more then 4 years. It seems that the novelty runs out for them.

I am wondering how many of you on the board have climbed for more than 4 years and if so are you doing a lot of personally challenging routes? ("personally challenging routes" and "a lot" as defined by you)

If you have been climbing for less then 4 years are you doing a lot of personally challenging routes? ("personally challenging routes" and "a lot" as defined by you)

Thanks your answers may be helpful to those outside of the climbing world someday.

(I can't find a way to change the wording of the poll so what I mean by" pushing my level" is "continue to challenge myself" For example I have climbed for more then 4 years, but I no longer push my level or challenge myself as I once did. This is not a poll I would use for research; however, it will help me to gather some information for further research.) Feel free to add any comments. Grammar comments are also welcome.

Edited by minddoc

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are many of climbers who climb a lot more often than once a week. I'd go nuts if I only could climb one day a week. Granted the gym is a poor substitute sometimes, but it must suffice.

Agreed - the gym is like smoking rag weed, nasty but you have to do it.

:yoda:

Yes I know but I can only use so many categories this is the problem with research, plus this is just a rough idea for now. But I like this format because people can say what they want like you said "I climb more then once a week." Its like doing a quantitative/qualitative research at the same time.

I know there are many of climbers who climb a lot more often than once a week. I'd go nuts if I only could climb one day a week. Granted the gym is a poor substitute sometimes, but it must suffice.

It does seem like there is a subset of people who get into climbing, get really enthusiastic and buy lots of gear and do lots of stuff, then get bored with the whole thing after a few years.

I wonder if that's different for a pursuit like, say, golf, or bicycling.

Edited by Alpine_Tom

Smart enough to know not to worry about spelling.. If you worried less about "then" and "than" you might be a Dr.

Joking here... ;):blush:

ps Maybe you are a Dr. :blush:

Yeah, {doing a dissertation} but {can't distinguish between then and than} = {mail order diploma}?
Edited by minddoc

Yes, you are right I suck at spelling. I use dictation for all my notes and assessments. My patients don’t usually care. I will try harder next time :rolleyes: . I will try to edit. Got to run, thanks for the feedback.

Dude,

push my level lease then 4

is not bad spelling.

It is unintelligible gibberish. I mean, muffy can't spell but I can still understand her.

Dude,

is not bad spelling.

It is unintelligible gibberish. I mean, muffy can't spell but I can still understand her.

Awwww i love you too g-spotter

xxoxoxoxoxoox

i have been climbing for like 9 years. when i can't climb i dream about it and am tense and on edge (like right now) when i can climb i climb at least once i week. everything else i do is in relation to climbing. i work out becuase i am training to climb, i eat well so i can climb harder and i go to work so i can aford geard. (i am exagerating but only a little)

i do sitll push my limits and try things that challenge me. if i am not scared and falling i am not learning.

Thanks for your input Muffy. One area I have not looked at, at this point is female climbers and differences in dealing with stress compared to men, mostly due to lack of funds. But it will happen. I am guessing women may have better coping skills then men.

ps I hate spelling and grammar

Dude,

is not bad spelling.

Awwww i love you too g-spotter

xxoxoxoxoxoox

i have been climbing for like 9 years. when i can't climb i dream about it and am tense and on edge (like right now) when i can climb i climb at least once i week. everything else i do is in relation to climbing. i work out becuase i am training to climb, i eat well so i can climb harder and i go to work so i can aford geard. (i am exagerating but only a little)

i do sitll push my limits and try things that challenge me. if i am not scared and falling i am not learning.

Hey Doc - how about approaching it from the other direction -- how many of us have been climbing for 30+ years and are regularly pushing our limits? (or 40+, like many of my regular partners...)

As in trade apprenticeships, degree programs, and marriages, four years barely gets you started...

Yes that is a question I will use for the more formal research, but for here it seemed to be a good cut off (4 years). I am finished with the first part of the work but did not find significant correlations. The results suggest that climbers cope with stress the same way as non-climbers, don't believe this. I now need to revamp one of the questionnaires. I also need to find a different population, as finding 100 or more climbers who have climbed for 20+ years and are willing to fill out the paper work is a difficult and time consuming process. The first work was done with all male climbers but the population was a bit scattered with years climbing and ability. Now I have more time I can start looking for that population of climbers. ps I am doing this as a side project in addition to my regular work.

Thanks for the feedback

:)

Hey Doc - how about approaching it from the other direction -- how many of us have been climbing for 30+ years and are regularly pushing our limits? (or 40+, like many of my regular partners...)

As in trade apprenticeships, degree programs, and marriages, four years barely gets you started...

I have not disregarded the results I have this far. I only want to expand on them. Finding the results "I want" makes no difference to me. It's not like I am in a money making system here, if I wanted to do that, I would stop doing research in this area, and get paid by someone. I am continuing with this because it could be helpful in my own practice and for others in the mental health field, plus the area is interesting to me. The last study does suggest that climbers and non-climbers cope with stress in the same way. Which I think is very interesting, in that even under periods of high levels of long-term stress people may use the same coping mechanisms. However, I would like to see what the results would be if I looked at a different population of climbers (10+ years of climbing as a lifestyle) compared to non-climbers. I now live in an area that I can continue to do research with climbers and I am not under pressure with time lines. I think we can all agree that climbers are a different breed. I believe they are amazing people with unique skills, physically and mentally. Understanding their/our mental skills maybe helpful for those who need help with serious issues-- drug problems, over coming traumas such as sexual assault, etc.

If you or anyone have any questions feel free to pm me

Oh yeah, get results you don't agree with, must need to redesign the questionnaire until you get the results you wanted to find in the first place. :rolleyes:

Understanding their/our mental skills maybe helpful for those who need help with serious issues-- drug problems, over coming traumas such as sexual assault, etc.

Jimmy, who was raped by a priest when he was 10, and now smokes crack 10x a day, is sure going to be happy to find out that all he needs to do to help himself is send a couple 5.12s