lightweight aluminum crampons

dbconlin

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of bd neve pro's and they are light, easy to put on etc but..if you look at the points at the back of the front section they are sideways across the foot as opposed to being parallel to the foot and as a result bite poorly into side hills while traversing They are narrow and the point sits under the boot so that your boot sole is the first contact with the snow. I think the grivels have points that are angles in that position. I have taken two slides as a result of this. Maybe I am just clumbsy.

Edited by TREETOAD

have Stubai....just bought air tech lights after floundering down sloan peak GL last summer with snow balls on my feet while my buddy in grivels skipped down with his anti-bot plates. He swears by them over the stubais. I've yet to try them but looking forward to trying them out. I also think they are lighter than the stubais.

it seems like for most of the times when you'd use these crampons, you are going to put them on a tennis shoes or trail runner or light hiking boot, not something with a front welt and back crampon attachment point. If that is the case, then you want something with a universal attachment, meaning those grivels and CAMP ones would not work.

What's the point in savings 3 ounces of crampon weight if you have to wear or carry big clunky boots that weigh a pound more than some nice trail running shoes?

it seems like for most of the times when you'd use these crampons, you are going to put them on a tennis shoes or trail runner or light hiking boot, not something with a front welt and back crampon attachment point. If that is the case, then you want something with a universal attachment, meaning those grivels and CAMP ones would not work.

What's the point in savings 3 ounces of crampon weight if you have to wear or carry big clunky boots that weigh a pound more than some nice trail running shoes?

The Grivels I have are made with the New Classic bindings and fit my tennies just fine:

25.jpg

If I recall correctly, the stubai pons have a stiffer spine than the camp model, which can be nice when wearing tennis/approach shoes. I think the spine on the stubais are steel rather than aluminum, but maybe PMS or someone can verify?

I still reccommend the steel ones with tennis(G10's). I like trashing on them and not feel like I'd bend a tooth on rock or take them off for a short bit of scrambling. Most likely, the time of year when you can wear tennis, there is a lot of rock of talus around too. I also like to use them on steep, wet heather slopes. I'm a light freak though and cut my weight elsewhere. Sometimes I'll just bring the front half of them and strap them on with ninja tricks.

3050step_4.JPG

• 1 year later...

Thought that I would bring this thread back and ask about useing aluminum crampons on Rockies summer routes?

Were looking at some routes like the East Ridge on Temple, The 5.7 on Alberta, Edith Cavel, ect. Routes where either you may or may not need crampons -- or your going to be carrying them for most of the climb.

I was wondering about useing a pair of Grivel Air-Tech Lights vs. my Saberteeth. With some of the easier and less snowy climbs the disadvanatge is that I'll have to use my Trangos rather then climb in aproch shoes.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts of aluminum crampons are for Rockies summer alpinism, am I better of with steel?

Thanks all.