• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
kevino

quick - solo ideas?

So, my usual climbing partner has a gnarly concussion and won't be able to climb this weekend. However, I possibly have a ride to leavenworth area. Instead of bouldering with him I was thinking of doing a solo up in the colchuck lake area. Just looking for some fun yet safe solo climbs in that area. I was thinking the NBC of colchuck or something along those lines...Thanks for the input. :cool:

umm, no solo climb is safe man - but some are waaay dumber than others

not too dumb:

ice cliff glacier on stuart

stuart glacier coulior on stuart

west ridge of stuart

west ridge of prusik

I think NBC on Colchuck is an excellent solo outing -- steep enough to be exciting, exposed in places, but mostly very secure and enjoyable...plus a relatively straightforward descent down the glacier.

From the Colchuck/D-tail Col, you could scramble (there's that word again!) up Dragontail too as a solo bonus...

[Not sure if I would recommend SGC to anyone as a solo *unless* they have done the route before... way easy to get off route on the ridge

true dat

a fun linkup too

Add these to the list, both easy.

Normal Route on Dragontail

NE Couloir to East Ridge on Sherpa

Well, looks as if my partner is going to man up, so stuart is on! Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions, definitely going to be hitting up one of those next weekend.

The traverse sounds really appealing.

Edited by kevino

Ingas peak south face 5.4. Bring a rope for the rappell. Super easy and secure. 4 pitches.

So, my usual climbing partner has a gnarly concussion and won't be able to climb this weekend. However, I possibly have a ride to leavenworth area. Instead of bouldering with him I was thinking of doing a solo up in the colchuck lake area. Just looking for some fun yet safe solo climbs in that area. I was thinking the NBC of colchuck or something along those lines...Thanks for the input. :cool:

Just rope solo the Girth Pillar, there's probaby a ton of fixed Neutrinos on that route so you won't need to bring too much gear

what y'all think of the north ridge without gendarme? never been on route but was wondering what people think about the route as a solo?

what y'all think of the north ridge without gendarme? never been on route but was wondering what people think about the route as a solo?

if you also skip the lower ridge than it's a very sane solo, albeit extraordinarily ghey for having skipped the two insanely best parts of the whole climb :)

If you skip the gendarme, there is a 75 foot rapell. And if you go to early you will cross snow or wet rock to get over to the route after the rapell.

""Not sure if I would recommend SGC to anyone as a solo *unless* they have done the route before... way easy to get off route on the ridge""

Yes, I can attest to getting off route on the ridge. We did and ended up with 9 pitches (instead of 6 per Nelson's book) and lost valuable time.

ya i was wondering about the snow. might make the 4th class stuff kinda sketchy. any other thoughts on the north ridge as s solo say in the coming weekend?

I really enjoy the North Ridge of Stuart the standard way without the lower part or the Gendarme.

I would never solo it though. :shocked: Solo rock climbing is very unsafe.