SUSHI

E-rock

Why does everyone like sushi so much? Rice has no flavor, Seaweed should stay in the sea, and raw fish? GROSS! I mean, i've eaten it before, but it's not something i'd pay that much money for. It's expensive, doesn't have much flavor, and not even that good. I know at least one person on this site who thinks the same as i do... but just wondering if anyone else thought that it was marginal and confused why everyone else raves about it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still prepare sushi here in the middle of Rwanda. I haven't had any sashimi for a long time, that requires a flight to Nairobi and haggling with sushi resturant owner to sell some whole fish. I still have perserved salmon and crab and get lockes and smoked talapia for making rolls or rice bowls. Also have a bit of wakame for salads and miso for soup, oh damn I am doing it again. I am hungry. Ok sushi tonight.

mythosgrrl, I wish there was more of you sushi haters out there, just mean more for me. Mm mm good. I think the thing I like about it best is that it is really light and refreshing meal. After eating sushi I feel like I can do whatever, go for a run, hang out, whatever, instead of feeling like I gotta lay down and digest for a while before doing anything.

Edited by ken4ord

It requires an appreciation of the sublimities of subtle flavors and textures ...kind of like great sex.

this is true. there are so many flavors and textures in good sushi the pickled ginger soy sauce wasabi the nori the rice and if made well you can taste a bit of the rice wine vinegar used to make it sticky, and then the explosion of the fish eel and the slight taste of the vegie wrapped around or in the roll. OMG it's almost 6 am and i am starving. I would eat sushi for breakfast if i had some. I also agree with ken in that it is such a light meal. when i am done eating i feel nourished and happy. not stuffed and uncomfortable. maybe badvoodoo and i will go for sushi after climbing tonight. :grin:

Why does everyone like sushi so much? Rice has no flavor, Seaweed should stay in the sea, and raw fish? GROSS! I mean, i've eaten it before, but it's not something i'd pay that much money for. It's expensive, doesn't have much flavor, and not even that good. I know at least one person on this site who thinks the same as i do... but just wondering if anyone else thought that it was marginal and confused why everyone else raves about it.

Everyone loves it because it's healthy, makes you feel good, and has a wide variety of taste and texture combinations. The rice IS seasoned (and actually the sashimi is preferable anyway), and raw fish, once the appreciation is acquired is far superior to cooked fish, in flavors, textures, and oil content. Furthermore, unlike cooked fish, it MUST be fresh to be enjoyed. One could make the same arguments of cooked fish lacking flavor, even more so in fact, because fish flesh readily takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked in, the natural fats and oils are cooked off, and unless you love VanDeKamps, catfish, or carp, there usually isn't that much flavor to begin with in farmed salmon, white-fishes like flounder, or even more popular prepared wild fish like Mahi-Mahi.

People who prefer cooked fish often endulge in guilty pleasures such as shark (which they purchase as "swordfish") and bay (or is it sea scallops (which are often pieces of cut shark) which are chock full of PCBs and mercury and contain very little of the beneficial fatty acids of "real" fish.

But in the end, there's no accounting for taste, and if you don't like sushi because of it's lack of flavor might I suggest you try Uni? :laf:

Edited by E-rock

Well Put, E-Rock. I would just add that it also the process of the meal that is just as satisfying. Rather than sitting down with a plate of food and gouging out, sushi is presented to be enjoyed in a slow, appreciative manner, something largely lacking in our fast-food culture. This leaves you feeling energized not just because the food is good and good for you, but because you further energize the food with intent and appreciation. Also, eating small quantities at a time helps your digestive process work more efficiently.

The popularity? Maybe as a compensatory measure.

my $.02, Erik

Preparation is a lot of fun too, I love coming up with new combos of flavor. I also like experimenting with doing hand rolls, reverse rolls, tempura rolls and other forms. Next time I am in Seattle I want to purchase some boxes for doing pressed box sushi.

Well Put, E-Rock. I would just add that it also the process of the meal that is just as satisfying. Rather than sitting down with a plate of food and gouging out, sushi is presented to be enjoyed in a slow, appreciative manner, something largely lacking in our fast-food culture. This leaves you feeling energized not just because the food is good and good for you, but because you further energize the food with intent and appreciation. Also, eating small quantities at a time helps your digestive process work more efficiently.

The popularity? Maybe as a compensatory measure.

my $.02, Erik

Whatever dude. Don't kid yourself. Sushi IS fast food. But yummy.

...leaves you feeling energized not just because the food is good and good for you, but because you further energize the food with intent and appreciation. Also, eating small quantities at a time helps your digestive process work more efficiently.

STFU, HIPPYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

BTDT

Not gross, but rather YUMMY!

I have been in a little shop in the Tsukiji market where they only served tuna. AKA NIKU, CHU TORO, HON TORO, and a wide variety of other tuna sushi and sashimi.

Now that was the best ever. Oh, btw, it was for breakfast.

Wrong. Californian rice has not flavor. Try Thai rice. Good quality raw fish is loaded with flavor. if you call it NORI instead of seaweed then you can break that mental barrier as well. NORI is loaded with flavor, vietmins, minerals and numerous trace elements that your body needs.

The Man, here in Seattle.. He has a big heart, and the best fish I've ever had!

shiro_laughing_1_.jpg

I had a good friend from out of town come here a few weeks ago for the Washington Wine tasting event. He's been in the restaraunt business all his life, and was the "hired palate" for a couple of east coast restaraunt owners/investors in search of unique, higher-end wines to add to their lists. These guys eat well all around the world, as part of their job. When they asked where they should eat in Seattle, I gave them one answer, Shiro's. We got seats in front of the man and he went all-out (usually he's a bit more reserved, especially when they are busy). Those guys have been raving to me about that experience ever since, "one of the best meals I have ever had", "mind-blowing food". When we got the sea cucumber florets (true purple color) in a "bath" of a fine seaweed with three different minced "condiments" floating in there, my buddy said "I feel like this is a meal we would be eating in outer space". Truly world class quality, and highlighting the Northwest's amazing seafood. Long live Shiro!!

Yes, sushi is good.

Edited by crazy_t

The Man, here in Seattle.. He has a big heart, and the best fish I've ever had!

shiro_laughing_1_.jpg

I had a good friend from out of town come here a few weeks ago for the Washington Wine tasting event. He's been in the restaraunt business all his life, and was the "hired palate" for a couple of east coast restaraunt owners/investors in search of unique, higher-end wines to add to their lists. These guys eat well all around the world, as part of their job. When they asked where they should eat in Seattle, I gave them one answer, Shiro's. We got seats in front of the man and he went all-out (usually he's a bit more reserved, especially when they are busy). Those guys have been raving to me about that experience ever since, "one of the best meals I have ever had", "mind-blowing food". When we got the sea cucumber florets (true purple color) in a "bath" of a fine seaweed with three different minced "condiments" floating in there, my buddy said "I feel like this is a meal we would be eating in outer space". Truly world class quality, and highlighting the Northwest's amazing seafood. Long live Shiro!!

Yes, sushi is good.

can i get some one to take me there please?? Thank you :grin:

When I was in Tokyo in October we went to a small sushi place where you could pick the fish from an aquarium and they'd fillet it and serve it still twitching. I have video of a buddy eating some fresh sushi with the donor fish still moving its mouth while displayed on the plate.

Some fish I think you can do this with, but most sushi grade fish has been frozen before hand to kill bacteria.

Eating sushi can be done witha reasonably clear conscience as long as you are getting the right stuff. There are lots of groups which give lists of sustainable food choices. It has been really hard for me to give up maguro/bluefin, but I have. In place, I eat a lot more salmon sushi, whish as someone earlier said, is sustainable. It can be eaten in a responsible way.

http://eng.msc.org/assets/docs/MSC_annual_report_05_06.pdf

Best food I've ever had ever:

Omakase at Tojo's

7-19-sushi.jpg

4-13-caviar.jpg

OMG i just had a small foodgasum. *help*

foodgasum!!! now that's a muffyism if i've ever heard one...

you should not be on this thread trying to lose weight and all...

:lmao: yes it is a muffyism.

I can have sushi. it's good for me!!! *nods*