SUSHI

E-rock

My absolute favorite is HON-TORO which you can not find out side of Japan. That is the very fatty belly of the tuna.

I get Toro all the time.

The news media has failed to report that in Alaska fish are NOT endangered, nor are they threatened

What would you like to see: "in breaking news today everything is okdoke in Alaska, in other news.."

besides Salmon sushi pales in comaprison to other fish available

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone like sushi so much? Rice has no flavor, Seaweed should stay in the sea, and raw fish? GROSS! I mean, i've eaten it before, but it's not something i'd pay that much money for. It's expensive, doesn't have much flavor, and not even that good. I know at least one person on this site who thinks the same as i do... but just wondering if anyone else thought that it was marginal and confused why everyone else raves about it.

Eewwww! Grrrrooooos! Gag me with a chop stick!

Why does everyone like sushi so much? Rice has no flavor, Seaweed should stay in the sea, and raw fish? GROSS! I mean, i've eaten it before, but it's not something i'd pay that much money for. It's expensive, doesn't have much flavor, and not even that good. I know at least one person on this site who thinks the same as i do... but just wondering if anyone else thought that it was marginal and confused why everyone else raves about it.

dood...she's hot...she can think whatever she wants...

dood...she's hot...she can think whatever she wants...

as can we all

Eating sushi can be done witha reasonably clear conscience as long as you are getting the right stuff. I eat a lot more salmon sushi, whish as someone earlier said, is sustainable.

I don't know a ton about fishing practices but, other than farming, I would say there is probably a pretty significant margin of error when calculating a sustainable supply of wild fish.

I took an Resource Econometrics class in grad school focused on measuring things like fish stocks, oil supplies, etc. All I can say is HOLY SHIT, that's pretty tough to accurately measure.

Of course, one would assume that those trawlers can scoop up more fish in a few minutes than are hatched in that same period of time.

But hey, gas prices don't keep some from driving. I probably won't stop eating sushi!

I hear you. When I first tasted sushi I thought, this would taste great barbequed, but raw, ucccccccckkkkk

Best food I've ever had ever:

Omakase at Tojo's

7-19-sushi.jpg

4-13-caviar.jpg

OMG i just had a small foodgasum. *help*

foodgasum!!! now that's a muffyism if i've ever heard one...

you should not be on this thread trying to lose weight and all...

double poster

i'm all about multiple orgasms/foodgasms you know...

i had sushi for dinner any a beer :moondance: i climbed an easy route 3 times. i am so totally 100% happy and blissed out right now. the only thing that could make it better would be to have sex before i go to sleep, but my man isn't home from Houston til tomorrow. i will take what i can get :cool:

When I was in Tokyo in October we went to a small sushi place where you could pick the fish from an aquarium and they'd fillet it and serve it still twitching. I have video of a buddy eating some fresh sushi with the donor fish still moving its mouth while displayed on the plate.

Some fish I think you can do this with, but most sushi grade fish has been frozen before hand to kill bacteria.

Freezing is not going to kill bacteria, it will some but not all.

When I was in Tokyo in October we went to a small sushi place where you could pick the fish from an aquarium and they'd fillet it and serve it still twitching. I have video of a buddy eating some fresh sushi with the donor fish still moving its mouth while displayed on the plate.

Some fish I think you can do this with, but most sushi grade fish has been frozen before hand to kill bacteria.

The freezing is to kill parasites, not bacteria.

The freezing is to kill parasites, not bacteria.

Again freezing not going to kill all parasites. Bacteria and parasites are pretty hardy criters. I think most of the time sushi quality fish is flash frozen to preserve the freshness of the fish not to make it healthier to eat.

The only concern any inspectors have is the parasite destruction guarantee, which is accomplished by 'freezing and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours' which is sufficient to kill parasites. The FDA's Food Code recommends these freezing conditions to retailers who provide fish intended for raw consumption (for further information, please visit the FDA website). I know that is a mouthful, but it's the facts.