Climbing Getting Popular

Chaps

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that a lot of folks have tried gym climbing once or twice. The trend in the mountains Ive noticed though is toward less people in general.

is it bad that i think it's funny that people who climb exclusively in the gym call them selves climbers?

As usual, a lot of fluff here, but little about climbing. Anyway, it seems like climbing is getting pretty popular. Everytime I bring up that I'm a climber at a party or at work everyone one wants to be my friend. In general, would you say that climbing is getting pretty popular?

Feel free to reply with my thread with climbing talk. Keep your silly antics out. Thanks.

i have found this as well. i have taken plenty of people out offering to climb with them and show them the ropes (pun intended) what i find is that 80% of them just think they want to climb. they don't want to read any books or work out and train to climb and they certainly don't want to give up their season tickets to college foot ball or their manicured lawns to take the sport seriously. most of them, just THINK they want to climb.

I've been involved with a climbing club in the past. We typically had 80 students in the basic climbing class. After one year, only about half of them were still climbing. Only about 15% of students are still climbing after 4 years

People definitely like the idea of climbing more than the actual climbing. It's hard work. You will sweat, bleed, and have to shit outside. There are cold nights, bad meals, and stinky partners. Even toproping is scary for a new climber.

Seems to me that a lot of folks have tried gym climbing once or twice. The trend in the mountains Ive noticed though is toward less people in general.

is it bad that i think it's funny that people who climb exclusively in the gym call them selves climbers?

...or people that exclusively crag call themselves climbers?

Climbing means playing your own game, whatever that is, not someone else's. You define it.

Car ca car pooling....

What I object to is that the people in the mountains are getting better and better relative to me. That makes me look bad. Plus, I have to climb harder and harder shit to try to keep up. Why don't you assholes all just stick to the gym and leave me to my 1980's agenda?

Try having a climbing gym at your school - everyone who gets on a couple holds says the sport is easy. Or when you mention to someone at a party that you climb and they talk about how they've climbed in a gym.

I used to care - but to each their own. Plus, I run too much to be considered a true climber, so who am I to judge anyone?

Edited by kevino

Try having a climbing gym at your school - everyone who gets on a couple holds says the sport is easy. Or when you mention to someone at a party that you climb and they talk about how they've climbed in a gym.

I used to care - but to each their own. Plus, I run too much to be considered a true climber, so who am I to judge anyone?

i don't know that i judge so much as i find it amusing. and i certinly don't argue with them.

in my never to be humble oppinion if you are not outside then it's not really climbing, you are working out. not a bad thing to do to pass the time and it certinly takes skill and streangth, but you don't take your life in your own hands on any level and that is my definintion of "climber"

As a [font:Impact]CLIMBER[/font], I've put my life on the line at wilderness death zones like Smith, Vantage, and Mt. Erie countless times. I do it all: trad (WHERE'S MY GODDAMN RED CAMALOT?!), R rated bolt routes (WATCH ME HERE!), even...even multi-pitch (JESUS, I LEFT MY MOCA GU IN THE CAR!!!!!) Risk is my middle name...just ask me! In fact, every time I get within 10 feet of a rope I'm a hazard not only to myself, but to everyone around me.

Edited by tvashtarkatena