Climzalot

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Park Service IDs dead climber

Anchorage Daily News

(Published: April 27, 2007)

Park Service officials this morning identified the climber who died Monday while rappelling in Denali National Park as Lara-Karena Kellogg of Seattle.

Kellogg, 38, fell about 1,000 feet while rappelling the northeast ridge of Mount Wake, according to the Park Service. Her climbing partner didn’t see the fall, and park officials say they don’t know what caused it.

The climbers were descending after a day climb up the icy 8,000-foot peak.

The death is the first of this year’s Denali Park climbing season, which began this month and goes until midsummer. Last year, three climbers died.

Thirteen years ago, nearly to the day, two climbers died while rappelling in almost the same spot, Talkeetna Air Taxi pilot Paul Roderick said this week.

I can't end it like that. Shit. The best way is to remember something wonderful.

One of my best memories is helping Lara haul pavingstones and set them at the Kellogg household. After 6 hours of brutal hauling/setting, I was completely worked. Lara was still picking and setting stones like they were balsa wood.

Damn. I was supposed to be the tough carpenter-type...

RIP, my friend

lara__kellogg.jpg