Summer climbing roadtrip

tthirloway

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know...its pretty damn hard to beat squamish...

For shizzle. Got to be the best summer cragging area in the country. Just bring your own beer.

Why is beer so expensive there? I think we paid $30 for a 15 pack of cheap beer.

I'm planning on taking 2 or 3 months off from work/school/rent this summer. :) My plan is something like one or two weeks in Leavenworth, Index/Darrington, Squamish, Pickets, Bugaboos, and various places in the North Cascades. Gas prices are way too high to go on an all out west coast roadtrip, but there is more than enough around here to keep me busy.

If you've got a partner: the Sawtooths in Idaho. They're in shape early summer, the weather is perfect, the fishing is incredible, the granite is wonderful, the scenery is superb, and there are (comparatively) not very many people. Take the boat ferry across Redfish Lake to save hiking time.

The Elephant's Perch (any route), Warbonnet (central peak), and the Finger of Fate are all classics in that area.

1. Cirque of Towers - Wind River Range

2. Bugaboos

3. Sawtooths

4. Palisades - High Sierra

5. Grand Teton NP

6. Banff & Lake Louise

7. Little Switzerland

If you're going to take off for a week, go someplace new and special, don't waste it climbing local... Of course, this is coming from someone who once climbed Mt. Shasta in 24 hours, door-to-door from Seattle.

If you're going to take off for a week, go someplace new and special, don't waste it climbing local... Of course, this is coming from someone who once climbed Mt. Shasta in 24 hours, door-to-door from Seattle.

oh, I didn't know there was climbing there.

I've bummed around 2 summers in the Rockies / NW. On one trip we went Rainier > Squamish > Canadian Rockies > Little Switzerland; on another we went Alaska Range > Canadian Rockies > Bugs > Tetons. Both were amazing trips! Definitely hit the Bugs and Canadian Rockies! If you want to climb in Alaska start your trip up here in June; don't bother coming all the way up if it's after June - it's too rainy!

Of course, this is coming from someone who once climbed Mt. Shasta in 24 hours, door-to-door from Seattle.
That's tight. ~9 hours x 2 = 18 hours travel time to and from Seattle. Which leaves ~6 hours car-to-car from Bunny Flat. I'm close to calling bullshit. If it's true, then well done. Hope you didn't get any tickets. :wave:

I second the go someplace else idea. Or even a climbing area a day...

sawtooths, tetons, wind rivers.

wild iris, snake river basalt, tensleep, high unitas.

high sierra.

i wouldn't go to city of rocks...it's hot there in th summer, and why bother chasing the shade when you can climb someplace nice and cool?

I'd go to tensleep...