Christian Griffith

mountainmatt

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a climber you should have heard of him. ;)

Well I dont climb much anymore right now.....maybe someone could refresh my memory?

:noway: :noway:

He is to Boulder as Todd Skinner is to Index. Come on man, how old are you??

Kevbone is obviously some 13-year-old kid who stole the password to his dad's computer. I don't believe you even had to ask. :rolleyes:

He's one of the guys we can thank for unrestrained grid bolting, chipping, and a handful of other practices which are less harmful but still very poor form compared the clean-climbing ethic that used to encourage a more restrained and aesthetic application of bolts within the original concept of a first ascent (i.e. "ascent" implied climbing the route the old-fashioned way, starting at the bottom and getting gear on the way up if you could find it). You could probably still find Griffith's "Manifesto" or similarly hilarious drivel from the 1980's, such as when Rock & Ice reported that Christian Griffith and some other forgetable climber felt trapped by their own images and were intending to stage some kind of media event in which they would have their hair cut and then auctioned off (to whom?), the proceeds from which would be donated to the Access Fund (which, if you didn't know, promotes and encourages sport climbing and rap bolting in a way similar to a recently formed "coalition" of Washington climbers).

I could go on. Here's a nice photo of the modest and approachable Christian Griffith:

christian_griffith_hagans_wall_flagstaff_mt_co.jpg

Damn, I lose. I bet Raindawg would have chimed in first. Guess he's still on the other side of the pond.

He just got back yesterday and extends an alpine High Five to his buddy pope for speaking for many of us.

high_five.jpg

You could probably still find Griffith's "Manifesto" or similarly hilarious drivel from the 1980's, such as when Rock & Ice reported that Christian Griffith and some other forgetable climber felt trapped by their own images and were intending to stage some kind of media event in which they would have their hair cut and then auctioned off (to whom?), the proceeds from which would be donated to the Access Fund.

A follow up to the hair-auction report: me 'n pope wrote a parody letter to the editor of Climbing or Rock & Ice or whoever published that choice little news item. We mentioned that an uncircumsized climber-dude we know ("Tommy") was going to get clipped and auction off his foreskin to raise money for the Access Fund. The magazine published our letter although I'm not sure if "the mohel was met" or how many shekels it might have generated.

And as for that pompous "Manifesto" dwaddle:

pumpkin-puke.jpg

I saw the guy years ago at a meeting of the American Alpine Club.

For his "lecture", he came out on stage and announced that he was going to do something really controversial here at the traditional ol AAC! He sat down on floor and gave a stretching demonstration...

Please! I hope he paid his own airfare.

Kevbone, do you own any Verve clothing? Cause CG owns Verve. Dude. I know you don't know shit and you keep proving it every damn day!

What! You gotta own some of that Verve crap to be a climber?

Read their little info page and see why some of us run away at the mere thought:

V3RV3: We so hip und o-ganic!

Christian Griffith? BIG LOU HE'S NOT!

lou.jpg

I saw the guy years ago at a meeting of the American Alpine Club.

For his "lecture", he came out on stage and announced that he was going to do something really controversial here at the traditional ol AAC! He sat down on floor and gave a stretching demonstration...

That was at the AAC meeting in Bellevue back a few years ago. I remember that. That was an idiotic talk.