Pitbulls

Seahawks

I was riding my road-bike on the Burke Gilman near the beach up north (don't remember the name of the park) when I hear this woman screaming. She's got two pits on a forked leash that apparently grew up together. Something sparked between them as she was walking them, and the got into a death match while leashed together. For 10 minutes, no one could separate them as they each beared their teeth down further into the others neck.

I had the bright idea to drag them both via leash out into Lake Washington from the beach, and once they started to drown, they let go....one slipped his collar and swam to shore while the other stayed with the owner. The cops got there a couple minutes later. Scary shit....these dogs went from being best friends to trying to kill each other in a split second.

Edited by ericb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know where I can get a Pitboodle puppy?

My wife's an amateur expert on dog breeds of the world. She's told me that, 100 years ago, pitbulls were the family dog of choice for American families. It's interesting how many of them appear in old photos and paintings.

The 20th century brought the age of the macho hood ornament, where pits were selectively bred and trained (misused) for ferociousness. An unfortunate branch of the breed went from loving family dog to psycho. It's pitbullshit. The breeders and owners responsible should have had their testicles chewed off by wolverines.

Anyone know where I can get a Pitboodle puppy?

My wife's an amateur expert on dog breeds of the world. She's told me that, 100 years ago, pitbulls were the family dog of choice for American families. It's interesting how many of them appear in old photos and paintings.

The 20th century brought the age of the macho hood ornament, where pits were selectively bred and trained (misused) for ferociousness. An unfortunate branch of the breed went from loving family dog to psycho. It's pitbullshit. The breeders and owners responsible should have had their testicles chewed off by wolverines.

Selective breeding by people who were fighting them would do that.

Anyone else here been attacked by a dog?

I've only been attacked once, while I was on my bike riding home from work just as it was getting dark. Nothing too dramatic, I just happened to ride within about 40 feet of an unleashed dog and it's owners, and then I heard the barking getting closer. At first I wasn't sure if it just wanted to play chase, but after it made the first lunge for my leg I knew it was kujo-time. Since there was no chance of out-riding the thing at this point, I didn't have much of a choice but to unlock the cleats and start kicking, and it must have taken 5 or 10 solid shots to the grill before the thing backed-off. "Blam! - bark - pedal-pedal-pedal, Blam! - bark - pedal, pedal, pedal..." over and over again. Quite an experience - nothing makes the limbic system kick in and take you back a few evolutionary epochs like being on the wrong side of the predator-prey relationship.

There have always been dogs in my family, and I consider myself a dog lover, but if your are attacked by an uncontrolled dog IMO you should feel free to inflict whatever level of violence is necessary to end the attack, using whatever means you have at your disposal.

I have been bitten, but not fully attacked by a dog. However, I have been getting tracked by a big cat on my way to and from my place. I have instituted a new rule: it is the "one hiss" rule. Come face to face with a cat that looks at you wrong and your respect for the animal turns to sheer survival instinct. I never walk unarmed around there at any time.

I've only been attacked once, while I was on my bike riding home from work just as it was getting dark. Nothing too dramatic, I just happened to ride within about 40 feet of an unleashed dog and it's owners, and then I heard the barking getting closer. At first I wasn't sure if it just wanted to play chase, but after it made the first lunge for my leg I knew it was kujo-time. Since there was no chance of out-riding the thing at this point, I didn't have much of a choice but to unlock the cleats and start kicking, and it must have taken 5 or 10 solid shots to the grill before the thing backed-off. "Blam! - bark - pedal-pedal-pedal, Blam! - bark - pedal, pedal, pedal..." over and over again. Quite an experience - nothing makes the limbic system kick in and take you back a few evolutionary epochs like being on the wrong side of the predator-prey relationship.

There have always been dogs in my family, and I consider myself a dog lover, but if your are attacked by an uncontrolled dog IMO you should feel free to inflict whatever level of violence is necessary to end the attack, using whatever means you have at your disposal.

I have been bitten, but not fully attacked by a dog. However, I have been getting tracked by a big cat on my way to and from my place. I have instituted a new rule: it is the "one hiss" rule. Come face to face with a cat that looks at you wrong and your respect for the animal turns to sheer survival instinct. I never walk unarmed around there at any time.

Are you talking Cougar??? Now that would scare the shit out of me. Dog I think I could take out with a few stitches but those beast are bad.

damn...problem with the cat is it won't necessarily hiss (and you won't see/hear it) IF it decides dinner is served...you should count yourself lucky that its letting you know its there...

Pitbulls are a lot of responsibility. But they are also the most loyal and affectionate dogs. My dog is aggressive toward other animals; it's just a fact. But he's never left the backyard and I keep him on a leash at all times when I walk him.

Recently, coming home with my dog after a walk, the neighbor's Chocolate Lab (which had pretty much always been off the leash) runs into our driveway and starts viciously attacking Panama. I held Panama away and kicked the shit outta that Lab. The net result was a laceration to my leg through my jeans from my dog. But I don't blame him. He was just trying to defend himself.

Panama.jpg

Anway, don't blame the cars (guns, dogs, et c.); blame the idiots.

Pitbulls are a lot of responsibility. But they are also the most loyal and affectionate dogs. My dog is aggressive toward other animals; it's just a fact. But he's never left the backyard and I keep him on a leash at all times when I walk him.

Recently, coming home with my dog after a walk, the neighbor's Chocolate Lab (which had pretty much always been off the leash) runs into our driveway and starts viciously attacking Panama. I held Panama away and kicked the shit outta that Lab. The net result was a laceration to my leg through my jeans from my dog. But I don't blame him. He was just trying to defend himself.

Panama.jpg

Anway, don't blame the cars (guns, dogs, et c.); blame the idiots.

Be careful with him, read alot of stories of kids being attacked by pits that were always were good.

We had a Belgian Malinois that was raised good and as he got older and more sexually mature just got more aggressive. He was donated to the Police acedamy and now is a police dog. That dog had some serious hops.

Updated: Feb 1, 2007 10:42pm

A bill in honor of a woman mauled by six Pitbulls more than a year ago should be officially filed in the Texas legislature next week.

State Representative Dan Gattis from Milam County began drafting "Lillian’s Law" after 76-year-old Lillian Stiles was attacked and killed by her neighbor's dogs while mowing her lawn in Thorndale.

If passed, the law would make dog owners criminally responsible if their pet, any breed, leaves their property and severely injures or kills another person.

Stiles' widower remembers his wife's death as if it was yesterday.

"When that part of you is gone, it’s just, just terrible," said Jack Stiles.

The owner of the dogs that killed stiles is facing charges of criminally negligent homicide and is scheduled for trial in March

Four Pitbulls Attack Child

Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:03:18 AM

Four pitbulls attacked a 9-year-old boy as he walked home Tuesday night in Hillsborough County.

The dogs somehow escaped their yard and went after Dontae Vincent.

Vincent fought off the dogs as they bit him and he started running. He managed to run a full block before a woman riding in a car spotted what was happening and jumped into help.

"The car was still moving, but I jumped out of the car. I could hear him screaming. He was terrorized by the dogs. I has to punch the dogs to get them to stop," said Angel Perez.

The woman also needed 20 stiches after the dogs turned on her.

The pit bulls will likely be put to sleep.

idiots responsible for the breed.

MOBILE COUNTY - Authorities say a Mobile county man trained his pitbulls to fight and kill. They say you won't believe the tactics he used.

Eight pitbulls now live in cages at the Mobile County Animal Shelter. The cages may not look like much, but it's a vast improvement to the conditions they've been suffering most of their lives. Authorities say the dogs were being trained to fight by 29 year-old Jerry Jordan....and they say the measures he was using to give his dogs the edge were horrific.

"Most of them are malnourished, emaciated to the point where they haven't been receiving food, there was no water, they were separated by chains, kept about three feet apart from each other," said Carmelo Miranda with the Mobile County Animal Shelter.

Miranda says Jordan was starving his dogs to make them aggressive, using bite sticks and neck weights to strengthen their jaws. The goal? To turn the dogs into killing machines.

"It's bad that you have to torment them so badly, that's the only way they know how to survive is to fight," said Miranda

Miranda says Jordan was using this homemade treadmill to train his dogs to fight. He would tie the dog with a leash, then put food on the other end of the treadmill to make the dog chase it.

"These are used to train the dog for stamina, give them the strength to go ahead and fight," said Miranda.

The result? Swollen gums, bloody mouths and torn skin. Authorities say pictures were taken at the property Jordan was renting. Two of the dogs were so injured, they had to be put to sleep. Another was dead when authorities arrived. Miranda believes the dog died while fighting. He says those that did survive are very sick.

Now, Miranda is waiting for a judge's permission to euthanize the dogs.....a sad ending to a gruesome story.

Miranda says Jordan is also being questioned for another dog-fighting incident, one that was caught on tape.

Jordan is currently out on bond.

Here is two peoples pets pitbulls.

Updated 10:51 a.m., January 11, 2007

While a mother and daughter underwent treatment at Deaconess Hospital for wounds inflicted during a vicious attack by their own dog, neighbors couldn't shake images of Wednesday morning's bloody mauling.

Some wished they could have done more to help 20-year-old Tia Franz, who reportedly screamed for help as she cowered in her back yard while Felony, a white 2-year-old pit bull, relentlessly ripped at the flesh on her arms and chest.

STORY TOOLS

E-mail story

Comments

iPod friendly

Printer friendly

More Local News

Snow possible this afternoon

City has draft master plan for Center City Industrial Park

What's happening today?

Others let their eyes and concerns wander to other pit bulls on the block. At least three stood nearby: Only one was leashed.

The victims, Susan C. James, 39, and her daughter, Franz, were taken from their home at 1216 Harriet St. to Deaconess Hospital with injuries police described as "extreme."

Police said James has severe injuries to her hands and arms, and Franz has severe injuries to her hands, arms, chest, abdomen and right side.

Medical personnel told police both victims would require surgery, but Deaconess personnel said they could not release information about the women's conditions.

For Miranda Kirby, it all began shortly after 8 a.m., when she heard screams. Kirby stepped outside and saw James bleeding, then called police.

Back outside, Kirby found Franz pleading for help while the dog was "swinging (Franz) around like a rag doll." Kirby tried to throw whatever she could find at the dog, but the canine was not deterred.

Robert Stotlar said he felt helpless. "No matter what, the dog just kept digging in and tearing," said Stotlar. "That dog was determined to do damage."

Police officers had to fire several times before the dog released its grip. It died from the gunshots.

The women told officers the attack started after they got into an argument. The dog lunged at James first. Franz tried to get the dog away from her mother, but it turned on Franz and chased her through three rooms and into the back yard.

Hours after the attack, the porch was spattered with drops of blood as neighbors gathered nearby to talk.

Jennifer Walker said it looked "like a murder scene."

"It looked so bad I had to turn away at one point. I thought I was going to get sick," Walker said.

Stotlar said Felony roamed free at times, but his owners told concerned neighbors Felony was a family pet, a good dog with no previous aggression.

"Something like that I'm not going to forget," Stotlar said, staring into the back yard where he watched Franz trying to fight the dog off. "I wish I could have done something for her. After awhile, I just started getting sick. I had to walk away."

Animal Control Superintendent Tom Hayden said he has received no previous complaints about the dog.

"We had people tell us while we were there that the dog was never vicious or dangerous, but the thing people don't understand is that the dog has a hierarchy of its surroundings and domain," he explained. "It's like if you saw your children fighting. What would you do as a parent? You'd get in the middle and separate them."

Hayden said the attack marked the first this year; but he also gave it a more dubious distinction.

"It's up in the top percentage of (violent dog attacks), based on the severity of the two individuals' injuries," he said.

Evansville's new animal control ordinance, which was recently adopted, does not ban the ownership of pit bulls.

A study cited by the Centers for Disease Control analyzed fatal dog attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. Pit bull-types had the most, 76, followed by Rottweilers, 44, and German shepherds, 27. Some cities, such as Denver, have banned pit bulls.

The number of pit bull attacks is high compared with other breeds simply because there are more of them, breed advocates say.

Nowhere is that more evident than in the city's shelter. Of the 1,500 animals adopted last year, at least 75 percent were pit bulls or a pit bull-mix. But animal advocates say the problem is often irresponsible owners, rather than the dogs.

Whether those dogs became aggressive or a playmate is up to the owner, Kendall Paul, Vanderburgh Humane Society director said last year.

"A gun, in the wrong hands, is lethal," she said

Mom's 'lucky to be alive,' says daughter of dog victim

By Amy M. E. Fischer

Jan 10, 2007 - 06:46:57 am PST

Longview resident Mildred Koch, 74, didn't need stitches after a roaming pitbull attacked her while she took out the trash Monday.

There wasn't enough flesh left on her arm to stitch up.

"It's horrible. ... She won't even look at it," said her daughter, Longview resident Kym Rietz, 51, after taking Koch to the doctor Tuesday. Koch was taking painkillers and was not available for an interview, Rietz said.

"She's lucky to be alive. They just tore her arm up big-time," Rietz said.

According to a police report, Koch was in the alley behind her home in the 300 block of 23rd Avenue at around 4:20 p.m. Monday when she saw two loose dogs running at her up the alley from Beech Street. Koch, who is in poor health and uses a cane, according to her daughter, tried to return to her house but didn't move quickly enough.

One dog jumped onto her back and bit the collar of her windbreaker behind her neck, the police report said. The other dog, a pitbull, latched onto her left arm as she struggled and screamed. The dogs dragged her to the ground.

That's when a teenager who lives across the street yanked the pitbull off Koch. Alberta Byrd, 16, said she heard screaming and saw a dog attacking her neighbor. Byrd grabbed the pitbull by the collar, marched it to her back yard and chained it up. (Byrd's dog was inside.)

"It was pretty compliant with me. I just hurried up," said Byrd, who has seen the dog running loose before but doesn't know who owns it. She only saw one dog, she said.

Byrd's mother and cousin came home just then, and the three of them called 911 from Koch's house and stayed until police arrived. Koch, who takes blood-thinning medication and was bleeding profusely, was taken to St. John Medical Center by ambulance, Rietz said.

"Her, like, elbow was cut open and she was freaking out," Byrd said.

Koch's left forearm and elbow were bitten several times and missing "significant" tissue, the police report said. She also had puncture wounds on her right arm and scrapes on her knee. She was released from the hospital Monday night.

Although Koch can still move her fingers, "she's in horrible pain," said Rietz, who is taking her mother to a plastic surgeon next week. In the meantime, Koch is taking antibiotics to prevent infection and must go to the doctor every day to have her wounds dressed.

The attack has left Koch afraid to leave the house, and she starts to cry if the word "dog" is mentioned, said Rietz, who thinks it should be illegal to own pitbulls.

"They're all over the place here," Rietz said. "She's scared to death."