Gustav's -Leavenworth

Jens

Gustavs sucks bad. Shitty service with not enough waitrons when busy. Nothing notable about the food except it reminded me of what they used to serve in my highschool cafeteria back in the 70's. Over priced for crappy food and service.

That Mexican place gave me explosive diarrhea for like 4 days after having dined there. Lovely..

I try to leave the town way behind now before dining.

You must have a wussy stomache....I've eaten there a dozen times with no issues. Perhaps the trots was from something else

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gustavs sucks bad. Shitty service with not enough waitrons when busy. Nothing notable about the food except it reminded me of what they used to serve in my highschool cafeteria back in the 70's. Over priced for crappy food and service.

That Mexican place gave me explosive diarrhea for like 4 days after having dined there. Lovely..

I try to leave the town way behind now before dining.

In going to Gustav's for years I have to 100% disagree.

If you are a climber, that is and will always be your calling when you are in 11-worth.

It's all about the the italian sausage at Visconti's........ So damn good and they never even look at you crosseyed when you come in grimy. one day we went in and ended picking ticks off and even broke a lamp on accident, and they smiled and gave us great service :) They got a good tip for not kicking our asses out!

KB - haven't experienced it personally, but people have mentioned being particularly harassed on Snow Creek Wall during the spring and early summer. I'd assume that extends to other cragging in the area as well, but don't know for sure. Once it gets hot and dry there (happens early) the ticks die off.

Edited by ericb

It's all about the the italian sausage at Visconti's........ So damn good and they never even look at you crosseyed when you come in grimy. one day we went in and ended picking ticks off and even broke a lamp on accident, and they smiled and gave us great service :) They got a good tip for not kicking our asses out!

They musta changed their 'tude from when they first opened up there a few years back, then. During their first summer of operation in L-worth, we stopped in after doing OS and cragging on Goat Dome. Seeing's as how we liked their Wenatchee digs, we thought we'd give the new store a go. They regarded us as nothing but grimy dirtbag types from the moment we walked up to the maitre de.

They stuffed us in some shitty corner table, away from everyone else, and virtually ignored us the whole evening. We weren't loud, we had plenty o' money, and we cleaned up pretty good in the bathroom after we got seated, so I don't know WTF their problem was. Never been back to either store since. :tdown:

Gustav's, by way of contrast, has always been welcoming to me (except when that big fat older wench is at the sign-in podium - she creeps me out). Overall, they treat me pretty much like any other patron in a tourist town that see a lot of visitors. :tup:

Uli's... haven't ever tried it. Ducks and Drakes... ditto. Need to get back there some time to see what all the fuss is about.

As far as Mexican goes, I get all of that shit I want over here on the eastside.

Gustav's...back in the day, way before it burned down...it was kind of a hippy joint, with a bunch of vegetarian stuff on the menu...pizzas, burritos and their like...but it was all quite good. The food items were named after Leavenworth climbing routes..., "Yellow Bird" pizza, etc., the walls were covered with climbing pictures contributed by Northwest regulars and it was a major post-climb dining spot for some time. The owner (or manager) was a climber and I recall trading some booty we had retrieved off of Snow Creek Wall for a nice dinner. Those days are LONG over! It was half the size it is now, but still I find the food there decent...if you can find a seat!

Other old-time Leavenworth climber hangouts were the Tumwater Cafe ("Scumwater") and the Edelweiss ("Edelscheiss"), both of which served edible breakfasts. And then there was the Ski Tavern with its jukebox full of Pasty Cline and friends, and the legendary Icicle Tavern (with its infamous backroom known as "the Ghetto"). Wild things happened there...and the "Dumpster of Love", or one of its descendents, can still be seen in the alley behind. Most of these places have now been converted to trinket shops. The owner of the Icicle Tavern now operates the "Post Office Tavern", so I heard, which is a great mix of locals and visitors.

Good times!

I'm with you Sobo. Visconti's is a place to avoid because of the service/attitude. I had the same exact experience with a group of climbing friends back in 2001, gave them a second chance a year later and they failed again.

Gustav's is great when you want fries, otherwise head to Uli's. Way better food and beer.

I went into the Post Office Tavern once; almost had to deliver justice... horrible Karaoke to Garth Brooks/Shania Twain/Alan Jackson, et.al., mulleted rednecks puffing their chests up as they walk past you, etc. And impenetrable cigarette smoke. That place is Marked for Death.

For apres-climbing beer drinking ambiance, Gustav's is on par with one of those "Elmer's Pancake House" chains on the I-5 corridor. :tdown: