Weight Loss Contest

Peter_Puget

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count CARBS not calories. If you are really serious about burning fat cut out the carbohydrates. Eat nothing but foods that are fresh. NOTHING that comes in a package. NO beer. Fresh dark green vegetables, as much meat/poultry/fish as you can stuff in your face. No potatoes, carrots, rice, tofu. No sugars of any sort.

Eat a two or three egg omlette with ham or bacon and cheese, onions asparagus or whatever in the morning. (Absolutely the most important meal NOT to eat any carbs like porridge or cereal)

Any kind of meat and a big huge greek salad for lunch. And whatever for dinner. I guarantee that you will start getting rushes of energy in about four days that will have you blasting through your days like shit through a goose. As soon as your blood sugars start leveling out which takes about three or four days of twenty grams of carbs a day or less. You will not be hungry or have cravings for carbs, you will not be disappointed.

I dropped fourty five pounds five years ago and have never put any of it back on, all my blood test numbers are good to great, far better that when I started. It is worth a try if you have trouble with diets.

Back from Mother's Day brunch at Eola Wine Cellar. A total foodgasim as Muffy would call it. Seriously turned on staring at the dessert table, but managed to control myself and stay away from the chocolate. Nothing looked as good as Sherri's description of her cake sounded so I remained strong. I also kept my distance from the waffle and crepe station because that sounded oh-so-yummy. My cheats today:

1 glass of Pinot Gris (a nice oak and fruity blend), 1 glass of mimosa (the bubbly was fantastic even though the OJ is a no-no on the diet), 3 pan-fried oysters (seriously to die for though not as good as chocolate or icing, but oh man, you can't beat the breading and the oil combo. So satisfying. The oysters were stuffed with someting equally tasty, but I didn't want to know what it was in case it was a big no-no for the diet. Would have eaten many more if not on diet.), 1 small bite of macademia nut cookie (not worth eating the rest so put aside), a little honey mustard dressing with my spinach salad and an veggie omelette with no cheese (I'm not supposed to have animal products, but boy did this hit the spot.)

I think I'm going to head to Lacamas Park in a bit for a hike to burn off some of those extra calories!

Hope everyone else is doing well diet and workout-wise and ready for weigh-in tomorrow!

Count CARBS not calories. If you are really serious about burning fat cut out the carbohydrates. Eat nothing but foods that are fresh. NOTHING that comes in a package. NO beer. Fresh dark green vegetables, as much meat/poultry/fish as you can stuff in your face. No potatoes, carrots, rice, tofu. No sugars of any sort.

Eat a two or three egg omlette with ham or bacon and cheese, onions asparagus or whatever in the morning. (Absolutely the most important meal NOT to eat any carbs like porridge or cereal)

Any kind of meat and a big huge greek salad for lunch. And whatever for dinner. I guarantee that you will start getting rushes of energy in about four days that will have you blasting through your days like shit through a goose. As soon as your blood sugars start leveling out which takes about three or four days of twenty grams of carbs a day or less. You will not be hungry or have cravings for carbs, you will not be disappointed.

I dropped fourty five pounds five years ago and have never put any of it back on, all my blood test numbers are good to great, far better that when I started. It is worth a try if you have trouble with diets.

you mean never eat carbs or sugar again? ever? :cry:

you mean never eat carbs or sugar again? ever? :cry:

I've read about the no carb diets before, but I've also read a bunch of stuff that puts the idea down. I'm not sure where to stand on that....I eat carbs

i think healthy carbs are an important part of a human omnivore diet. it is sticking to the healthy carbs that i have a hard time doing.

it is better for me if i separate carbs and protein. so i can have veggies and carbs (brown rice, whole grains/ multi grain tortillas ore bread) or meat and veggies. i need to start doing that again.

2210 calories today. bad but not as bad as it could be. went to my second favorite diner for breakfast this morning. sausage omelet, hash browns side of gravy coffee cake and OJ. that is my most favorites breakfast. i had a fajita salad for dinner though. that was way better for me.

Calories in, calories out. It's no more complicated than that. Everything that you say to avoid here you can eat as long as you burn more than you take in at the end of the day. Simple.

I don't think anyone here that is "participating" in this contest really believes there is some magical plan out there that helps you lose weight. We're either trying to burn more than we take in, or eat less than we burn. The rest of this banter is just clean supportive fun. :wave:

:confused: You want me to cheat, Sherri? I thought you wanted me to save myself for your Chocolate Sauce Cake.

I can't wait to read what you write about that. ;)

(And, no, I don't want you to cheat. But we want to hear all about it, if you do. :whistle: )

:confused: You want me to cheat, Sherri? I thought you wanted me to save myself for your Chocolate Sauce Cake.

I can't wait to read what you write about that. ;)

Neither can I.

(And, no, I don't want you to cheat. But we want to hear all about it, if you do. :whistle: )

I'll need a few minutes to recoup, though...

Ahhhhhhhhh, I'm back. I feel sooooooooo much better now.

So, what did I miss?

You know, every time we read that thing we're gaining weight. It's so real you can taste the chocolate right thru the computer screen. Don't ask me how I know that.

Carbs are the first thing your body uses to run itself, storing fats stored for later use if needed, along with water which is needed less for burning the ready calories in carbs. To start the diet you have to think of all carbs as the same. Not true but for the purposes of the diet you just have to think that way.

During the weight loss part of the diet you cut your carb intake to 20 grams of carbs. You can find carb counters online. You must drink lots of water, you must take vitamin suppliments and most importantly you must not cheat.

After your body uses up the carbs that are in your body which takes about three or four days, you will feel a huge surge in energy. I am talking about stay up till two in the morning doing stuff like you just smoked a spliff of B.C. bud. This means that your metabolism is changing, speeding up and your body is now a fat burning machine. The energy rush lasts for a day or two, but you will indeed have more energy than you can remember. YOu must remember to drink lots of water because when your body uses fat to run itself it needs more water. The first ten pounds that you loose will be water and it will take about two weeks to do that YOu will also burn fat during this time. Your body is now in ketosis. Ketones are produced during the process of fat burning and you can test for this using ketosticks available at a drug store near you. Use them as a guide to make sure that you are not too far into ketosis. This is a condition that is not favourable for a prolonged period of time if the tests come out too high. Your breath may smell odd as well.

This is not a magic bullet by any means. It takes a change of lifestyle choices to keep weight off but this will get you results and give you energy to do the things necessary to change the life style. The twenty grams thing is kept up untill you are nearing the target weight and as you get close you starting adding carbs in the form of high quality natural grains. just a little at a time. It will take a few days for you to stop burning fat so just add a little at a time. At some point you will reach a state where under your normal day to day activity you will stay the same weight. This means that you have found your personal Glycemic level. Avoid any white flour and processed foods like they were the food of satan himself. You will notice that your body is way more fine tuned now and that when you eat a shitty breakfast it will effect you. If you miss a lunch you will know it right away. It really gives you feed back quickly.

I got ten guys to go on this diet five years ago. Half of us got blood test before we started. We lost a a total of over three hundred pounds altogether. Everybody lost the weight that they wanted. 7 of us still weigh the same today. OF the guys that got their blood tested all of us had better hdl/ldl ratios better glycemic numbers.

One of the guys was a vegetarian and had been for years, slowly gaining weight. He had been eating only the vegetable part of the diet and could not loose weight. He was getting tired and depressed. I talked him into going to a pub and eating chicken wings. within a day and a half he started dropping weight. He was also running ten kilometers a night and he dropped thirty pounds in one month which in my opinion was way too fast.

He is still thin and has gone back on a vegan diet but eats no rice.

I eat choclate and high carb food when I am climbing for two or three days in a row and it has no effect because I am burning the carbs right away. Check out this link.

If you do this diet properly it will work, read about it first,

make sure that you make a shelf in the fridge for yourself because that is the only place that you will be getting food from. NO PROCESSED FOODS. Check out the labels on foods like salad dressings and real Mayo forget reading the calories just the carbs. Ranch dressing has 1 gram for a couple of table spoons. Check out what fat people eat, potato chips, chocolate bars, any processed foods pretty well are loaded with carbs.

Sorry to rant but I know this works well.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/03/06/diet-atkins.html

i think healthy carbs are an important part of a human omnivore diet. it is sticking to the healthy carbs that i have a hard time doing.

it is better for me if i separate carbs and protein. so i can have veggies and carbs (brown rice, whole grains/ multi grain tortillas ore bread) or meat and veggies. i need to start doing that again.

2210 calories today. bad but not as bad as it could be. went to my second favorite diner for breakfast this morning. sausage omelet, hash browns side of gravy coffee cake and OJ. that is my most favorites breakfast. i had a fajita salad for dinner though. that was way better for me.

This is what your diet would look like after you have got to the weight that you want to be. Just keep away from white flour, any sugar, and be wary of the amount of carbs you taking in. Make sure that they are complex carbohydrates like flax and whole grains etc. not simple ones.

Calories in, calories out. It's no more complicated than that. Everything that you say to avoid here you can eat as long as you burn more than you take in at the end of the day. Simple.

I don't think anyone here that is "participating" in this contest really believes there is some magical plan out there that helps you lose weight. We're either trying to burn more than we take in, or eat less than we burn. The rest of this banter is just clean supportive fun. :wave:

The problem with lots of people is that they are overweight and do not have the energy to excercise because their blood sugars are up and down from too heavy carb intake. they fell sluggish usually at the end of the day as their blood sugars plunge once again probably from the bagel and whatever they scoffed down at lunch. When your blood sugars level out you maintain a good steady energy level. I used to get paralyzing headaches in the afternoons sometimes and then I would find myself so sapped of energy around 2 o'clock that I could not keep my eyes open sometimes. I have had maybe two headaches in the last five years and never feel tired until I go to bed at night.

Again, this is not a magic bullet but a way to regain your energy levels and turn your body into a fat burning machine. You have to do the rest, change the lifestyle get exercise for your heart. Although you will burn fat on this diet sitting at your computer , and I am not shitting you here. Most of all you cannot cheat on this diet. As soon as you start eating carbs, your body will start storing fats and water again and it will take another three or so days to get back into ketosis.

Yes! That's a great assessment of the process, or cycle. :tup:

Energy is a key point here. We're accustomed to hearing references to our energy in the passive sense, "being low," or "having lots of energy." But, take this a step further: start thinking of food itself AS ENERGY. That's what it is! That's why we eat--to get energy. Calories are a measurement of energy, whether fat, carb or protein.

This should imply that all food imparts energy equally, or that all calories ingested make us feel more energetic than we'd feel if we hadn't ingested them. Do they?

Pay attention to what foods YOU feel give you energy.

Do you feel alert or maybe like going for a run after eating a bag of potato chips?

Or is that a food that TAKES your energy, makes you lethargic, tempted to eat a little more to get some "ummph" back? (Bad news is, even if it "takes" your energy, you still get the calories.)

What makes your body feel fueled and ready for what you want to do, weather it's to do the yard work, finish a book without falling asleep, or redpoint that long-standing project climb?

Think of your food as energy. What type of energy do you wish to cultivate? Then choose your fuel.

Edited by Sherri

i think i speak for a few here in requesting more culinary seismic experiences!!!

NO!!!!!!

I guess it is ok if it is about cupcakes and chocolate covered strawberries. Sweets have never done it for me. Now when you start talking about savory foods you have crossed the line.

I dropped 12 pounds in less than three weeks eating like this but ultimately couldn't stick with the minimal carb diet with my work schedule and put it back on eating carbs.

Another interesting approach to this is the Anabolic Diet by Dr. Mario D'Pasquale, same approach Monday thru Friday and then Saturday/Sunday you eat low fat, high carbs. The concept being that you're basically manipulating your bodies biochemistry to switch between fat burning and muscle building with the carb loading phase too short to turn to fat storing. It's way more complicated than that but I'm still looking for that second cup of coffee...