Weight Loss Contest

Peter_Puget

Count CARBS not calories. If you are really serious about burning fat cut out the carbohydrates. Eat nothing but foods that are fresh. NOTHING that comes in a package. NO beer. Fresh dark green vegetables, as much meat/poultry/fish as you can stuff in your face. No potatoes, carrots, rice, tofu. No sugars of any sort.

Eat a two or three egg omlette with ham or bacon and cheese, onions asparagus or whatever in the morning. (Absolutely the most important meal NOT to eat any carbs like porridge or cereal)

Any kind of meat and a big huge greek salad for lunch. And whatever for dinner. I guarantee that you will start getting rushes of energy in about four days that will have you blasting through your days like shit through a goose. As soon as your blood sugars start leveling out which takes about three or four days of twenty grams of carbs a day or less. You will not be hungry or have cravings for carbs, you will not be disappointed.

I dropped fourty five pounds five years ago and have never put any of it back on, all my blood test numbers are good to great, far better that when I started. It is worth a try if you have trouble with diets.

I dropped 12 pounds in less than three weeks eating like this but ultimately couldn't stick with the minimal carb diet with my work schedule and put it back on eating carbs.

Another interesting approach to this is the Anabolic Diet by Dr. Mario D'Pasquale, same approach Monday thru Friday and then Saturday/Sunday you eat low fat, high carbs. The concept being that you're basically manipulating your bodies biochemistry to switch between fat burning and muscle building with the carb loading phase too short to turn to fat storing. It's way more complicated than that but I'm still looking for that second cup of coffee...

Were you able to keep the weight off with the low carb thing? I read in the article that Tree posted that the subjects who did this diet gained back more wt than those on other diets. However, it looked as though even after the regain, they still netted a bigger loss overall. What was your experience with the 'aftermath'?

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gained it back (well, I was 3 pounds lighter when I weighed myself for this little gig than when I started that diet) but only because I couldn't stay on the diet. It's really quite difficult to eat low carb in this society unless you have the time and ability to plan out your meals in advance. I suffer from low blood sugar and if I go to long without eating, I start to bonk. The problem with that is, trying to find a quick low carb snack at work is a joke, unless I brought all my food for the day, prepared in advance. Which takes time. Planning on buying a mini fridge and stocking it with veggies and hard boiled eggs, lunchmeat, cheeses, stuff like that for eating on thruout the day.

After reading more of TREETOAD's posts, I remember why the Anabolic Diet pulls you off the low carb after 5 days. Ketosis, which is basically your body eating your muscle for fuel because of the absense of carb fuel. Doesn't really matter for dieters but bad news for bodybuilders, and to a certain extent, climbers.

Be happy to send anybody interested a .pdf of the book.

There's nothing wrong with carbs if you eat them from good sources.

Sure, everyone's body is different, but you should be suspicious when someone tells you to stay away from whole grains and fruit and instead load up on bacon and cheese. :rolleyes:

I agree with that. I'm no diet expert, but I would have to read the whole bacon and cheese theory from a bunch of sources with real certification as people who have studied diet issues for years.

I'm going to go out and do some stair hiking now.

okay it is monday again and i did my offical weigh in. I lost 1 whole pound from last monday. not great but not the end of the world either. I am looking for sustainable. I can not live the rest of my life with out white bread and sugar. i just want to not eat them every day.

142 today. one pound a week is healthy. no huge loss but i feel good.

I'm just getting over that damned cold - I haven't been out running in a week, haven't changed my eating habits any, but gained at least 5 pounds from not training. I finally went running yesterday and could feel it bounce. Have to shake it off in the next couple of weeks.

Carbs, sugars, fats, whatever. In the end the only thing that matters is the delta between caloric intake and caloric expenditure. Burn more than you consume and you lose weight. Consume more than you burn and you gain weight. End of story.

I am too ashamed to admit my weigh in this morning, but I brought whole grain brown rice mess and leftover salmon (bbq, not fried or anything) for lunch today.

I had almonds for a midmorning snack--thanks to Sherri for good advice.

I should eat with a baby spoon so I feel like I am eating more. *sniff* *waaaa* *chubby bunny*

Carbs, sugars, fats, whatever. In the end the only thing that matters is the delta between caloric intake and caloric expenditure. Burn more than you consume and you lose weight. Consume more than you burn and you gain weight. End of story.

Right on. Calories in, calories out.

Try the "Eat less, exercise more" program. Works wonders.

I gained it back (well, I was 3 pounds lighter when I weighed myself for this little gig than when I started that diet) but only because I couldn't stay on the diet. It's really quite difficult to eat low carb in this society unless you have the time and ability to plan out your meals in advance. I suffer from low blood sugar and if I go to long without eating, I start to bonk. The problem with that is, trying to find a quick low carb snack at work is a joke, unless I brought all my food for the day, prepared in advance. Which takes time. Planning on buying a mini fridge and stocking it with veggies and hard boiled eggs, lunchmeat, cheeses, stuff like that for eating on thruout the day.

After reading more of TREETOAD's posts, I remember why the Anabolic Diet pulls you off the low carb after 5 days. Ketosis, which is basically your body eating your muscle for fuel because of the absense of carb fuel. Doesn't really matter for dieters but bad news for bodybuilders, and to a certain extent, climbers.

Be happy to send anybody interested a .pdf of the book.

These are good points.

You need to prepare your lunch at home. I have three rubbermaid containers with separators in them. On Sunday I will make three days worth of lunches. Usually I prepare three chicken breasts or three steaks or whatever. I make a large salad and split it into three. Usually romaine lettuce tomatoes purple onion raw broccoli green pepper. I put in a chunk of feta cheese/kalamati olives, and a couple of celery sticks. I keep a low carb salad dressing at work like ranch or greek dressing. I now have three days of lunches made. I usually do this at dinner time on sunday so it is no big deal.

It cannot be expected that your family eat the same as you so you have to reserve a shelf in your fridge for your stuff. You need to be somewhat selfish about your diet as well. It is after all about you.

Most of the processed food that you can eat are actually made for diabetics. Ross's chocolate bars are very good and some only have one gram of carbs in them.

If you don't cheat your blood sugar levels out and you do not get the ups and downs during the day which make you crave a mid morning snack (ususally a "healthy" muffin) you literally do not feel hungry at all after staying on for a week or two. The real kicker is the really fast feedback you get from it. You really do drop a around a pound and a half every couple of days. So you want to stay on it.

There's nothing wrong with carbs if you eat them from good sources.

Sure, everyone's body is different, but you should be suspicious when someone tells you to stay away from whole grains and fruit and instead load up on bacon and cheese. :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with complex carbs, and you will loose weight if you work out hard while eating lots of them. You MUST have carbs to be healthy. We are not talking about a regular diet here. We are talking about reducing the amount of carbs in your body so that your metabolic rate increases to the point that your body looks for fat to burn instead. This is the temporary part of the diet. The western diet is so loaded with simple carbs that we never get to the point of burning fat. As a result it needs less water to burn carbs so your body stores that and it needs almost no fat because the carbs are more readily available. The fat gets stored as well.

So...you stay away from all sources of carbs to drive your body into ketosis. You burn fat like there is no tomorrow. You burn so fat so fast that it takes about three days to stop burning it when you introduce the complex carbs back into your diet. This is the regular diet that you live on. there is a balance between the amount of energy you are using to run your body and the amount of ready fuel you put into it. So you can vary the amount of comlex carbs you eat to the amount of energy you require. If you are out in the tulies on a three day approach and sweating your bag off the stuff your gullet with chocolate or whatever, your body will use it up. Just don't do it when you are lounging around the house watching T.V. They say to treat white flour and just about any processed sugar as if Carl Rove himself was offering them to you.

This diet has a lot to do with how your gal bladder and liver function and how they deal with cholesterols and fats. It is very interesting and it is the last diet that I would have gone on having a history of stroke in my family. My doctor was amazed at the blood test results as he had recommended against it at first.

He is a convert now.

i am such a bad bad girl.... i had a hawaiian plate lunch and ice cream for dinner... I ate less then half of the plate lunch... and just a little ice cram... 2150 calories today. :blush: i suck at this. i need a food monitor.

I am too ashamed to admit my weigh in this morning, but I brought whole grain brown rice mess and leftover salmon (bbq, not fried or anything) for lunch today.

I should eat with a baby spoon so I feel like I am eating more. *sniff* *waaaa* *chubby bunny*

I'm so proud of you! :tup: :tup:

Hey, no shame in trying the baby spoon thing. Utensil size is not an inconsequential factor in how much/quickly we eat. Stay away from those big soup spoons at any cost. Switch to chopsticks if you want to go hardcore. (Unless you happen to be especially dextrous....)

Hey, no shame in trying the baby spoon thing. Utensil size is not an inconsequential factor in how much/quickly we eat. Stay away from those big soup spoons at any cost. Switch to chopsticks if you want to go hardcore. (Unless you happen to be especially dextrous....)

I tried switching to chopstick for all of my meals, I just ended up eating just as fast once I got good at it.

I tried switching to chopstick for all of my meals, I just ended up eating just as fast once I got good at it.

...You need to use ONE chopstick.