Drury Falls

sexual_chocolate

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the spray i have been hit with over the past nine years, drury has been soloed a few times a year...i'll spray for him since i love to spray: i believe rat is speaking from personal experience. i saw him on it once when it was in the most attrocious state ive seen it.

ive never been on it.

A few questions:

I have not seen a single pic that looks a hair more dificult than WI3. I can understand if it is hard to take a pic with proper angle, so please somebody clarify (no need to write if this is the hardest you've done :)). How does it compare to say Polar Circus technically?

What about the Pencil, pic in WA Ice definitely looks mostly low angle, WI4 max.

What kind of time is it approximately from the base for Drury?

Every guidebook says cross the damn lake... Where the heck do you get a boat, is it possible to rent in L-worth on a weekend? What about foot crossing, any beta?

Thanks in advance, I'd appreciate the help - burried in work.

I have not seen a single pic that looks a hair more dificult than WI3. How does it compare to say Polar Circus technically?

Its WI4, the upper tier is quite steep in spots. Polar Circus is harder, but its also rated WI5.

Every guidebook says cross the damn lake... Where the heck do you get a boat, is it possible to rent in L-worth on a weekend? What about foot crossing, any beta?

I would suggest crossing the river in low enough water. You have to come up with the boat yourself, when we climbed it we borrowed a 3-person rubber raft from a friend. Crossing at the lake adds a number of hours to the approach and decent.

Agree with Alex. Think hip waiters and trecking poles and cross further up.

clueless...

this season the water is not as low as it has been in recent years....you would most likely drown if you tried to wade

their is a fair amount of ice along the margins of the river at falls creek...im no lewis or clark so not sure how this effects launching or landing a vessel

jolanda is also quite icy but not enough to walk across...its only about a mile to falls ck

4-5 mile snowshoe from hatchery creek, suck but safe...

the approach pitches are 3, the main upper falls are 4 by the easiest line and 5 by the hardest. Your results may vary because waterfall ice doesn't always form up the same way.

the pencil is 5

the crux to these climbs is finding them in condition. The river can sometimes be crossed at the Drury drainage but it's more reliable to cross the lake and snowshoe

if you want it to be real interesting like we did it, cross in one of those really cheap inflatables that could easily pop and has very little directional stability. The crossing is in the dark both ways and with a really small inflatable you have to make two trips each way to carry the packs then the partner. It's best also to keep the inflatable stored for several years before the attempt, that way there's a risk of dry rot.

then drift across in the dark wondering if there's some tree branches just underneath the surface and how hard it's going to be to swim with plastic boots and full winter gear.