Best tick's of 06

StreetBoss

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see this as chestbeating or bragging. In fact damn, some of you all are true inspirations.

I love reading these threads for that reason: but somehow, when it comes to posting my list, it's like having a small penis but being hesitant to pull it out in public since everybody elses is so much larger....hey, if it's was normal or larger I'd definately join in though. Maybe this is what is up with Kev, can't say as I think he did some pretty good routes though.

Started out the year @mid 10s, no complaints there.

The highlight of the year (my probable best tick of 06)- I did a solo 5.9 FFA (with loads of preview, shovel and prybar prepwork) which I was pretty happy with. (Right side route of that group I've been shoveling at the Butte).

The interesting part, my route grading abiliies have seemed to have gone to shit this year. I went back to clean that very same route some more like 2 months later or so, and after rapping down and cleaning once more I clipped the line to the top and solo toproped it to get out and it seemed signifigantly wayyy harder at the top doing it on TR. Same thing happened later when Ujohn and I TRed it again. It wasn't doing a TR vs lead though as about the next week I went out and solo TR the route Powerhound and I had done (his lead) which we'd both guessed/thought @5.10 and I was thinking 5.7-5.8.

Strange.

Lowlife of the year. Not working up the nerve to jump on Free for Sum this year. I use to cruise it. Last time I tried it, I downclimbed from the low crux feeling weak. Must be age. Haven't been back. Strange.

BTW, my vacation this year was 3 weeks in Tibet, sooooo, next year maybe 3 weeks in Yos and I'll have a member I can share again:-)

Edited by billcoe

Since it pisses Kevbone off.....

Red Mountain - Rando

Silver Star via SS Creek - Rando

Das Toof with the wife

Rainier - Kautz to DC Carryover

Sloan Peak - Corkscrew

Liberty Bell - Beckey Route

Black Peak - NE Ridge

Vesper Peak - North Face

Prussik Peak - West Ridge in a Day

South Early Winters Spire - SW Rib

Concord Tower - West Face

Cutthroat Peak - South Buttress

Kangaroo Temple - NW Face

Snow Creek Wall - Outerspace

Edited by ericb

Dont you mean "best strokes of 06"? Who can stroke the others ego better! "I climbed this or that"... "oh, how brave of you, you must be a great climber"..." I shouldnt even post near you, you might not like me. Im not that good of a climber"

Frickin Brag, brag, brag.

Makes me want to puke!!!!!

The baby on the bus goes waa waa waa, waa waa waa.

Climbers need to share our accomplishments with each other, becasue the rest of the world doesn't freaking care. If I tell someone I was three pitches up on a mankey piece making a hard run out move, they look at me with glassy eyes like WTF?

I like hearing of the ascents. Keep em coming.

It does not piss me off, it just makes you look like a fool.

You must have fun stroking yourself. And I know you are a great climber. Just ask yourself.

Haven't you ever been sitting around a campfire and asked someone, "Hey, you do any good routes this year"? Discussion commences.

If you choose to do any of these routes, be nice to ask someone whos done it recently what conditions and pro are like. Surely when Mike did Mox or Wayne did the recent traverse, posting the info here isn't chestbeating?

Besides, it's been setting records with the rain, what else ya gonna do?

Edited by billcoe

It does not piss me off, it just makes you look like a fool.

You must have fun stroking yourself. And I know you are a great climber. Just ask yourself.

1) pretty sure it pisses you off (hence why you took time to post two replies)

2) pretty sure most people on this site knew I was a fool long before this particular post

3) Good to see that despite your paternity sabbatical, you have not lost your quick whit - your masturbation talk never gets old

4) I'm not a great climber.....yes I am.....no I'm not....

Edited by ericb

I like these threads too because it reminds me of climbing I want to do but am not thinking about. so here are my highligts:

-Fuggs Falls in vantage - finally, ice at vantage. endured massive ice storm to get there and back.

-4 of the best powder days of my life.

-A month climbing and exploring the SW. Indian Creek, Arches, Moab. Love it. Found that Frogland is my favorite route for the grade in red rocks.

-many great early summer days cragging and kickin' it with friends at tieton, index, eerie, etc

-some clean alaskan rock and a minor new summit

-backbone ridge, Dragontail in a (long) day

-finally got back and scoped/climbed some fun new lines on the Witch Doctor Wall with excellent bro's.

can't complain too much.. wink.gif

I guess through the mists of rain, flooding, work and otherwise down-time from climbing, I'll bite on this thread of fun times in '06 (which aren't over yet for skiing and ice climbing). Ok here goes my stroll down memory lane:

Green Dragon, Index

Silver Star via Varden Creek (teleskiing)

Regular Route on the NW Face of Half Dome

Beckey's variation of South Face of Prusik

Torment-Forbidden Traverse

North Face of Terror

SW Face of Early Morning Spire combined with Dorado Needle on same day

Goose Egg Mt.

Iconoclast and Hyperspace

Razorback Ridge with NW Buttress descent on Stuart

Solo of West Ridge of Stuart in a day

Attempts: Drury Falls, Thin Red Line, The Nose of El Cap (bailed from Dolt Tower). These three are also unfinished business for 2007. bigdrink.gif

I didn't feel like I was chestbeating, obviously my accomplishments are pretty minor compared to what some others here can do. But they were climbs I was excited about and would love to share that excitement.

Save the bickering for spray.

Wow.....I was chestbeating....I think the detective work Kevin is doing on this site is extremely valuable. Let's face it....there are some egos on this site...there are, and while it's scary to take a personal inventory, sometimes it's the best thing a person can do. We all need to take a good look in the mirror.

"Chestbeating", "stroking"....doesn't matter what label you put on it....it has no place on this site. To the extent that Kevin's brutal honesty can make this site a place of honesty, vulnerability, and transparency, I applaud him. As painful as it is......

Bravo Kevin

Discovering Cascade Climbers, and its great networking abilities, allowed me to climb with some great people I wouldnt have met otherwise. The comraderie and new friends has been my favorite part of this years, here are some highlights:

Abiel Peak- Blind Date (thought it was a FA, but I guess some hardmen did it in the 80's)

Triple Couloirs- perfect conditions

Stuart Glacier Couloir

Sandy Headwall- First time up Hood bigdrink.gif

Reid Headwall- So much fun the first time I decided to come back with my sister

Liberty Ridge-beautiful and challenging

Sherpa-north ridge and balanced rock FFA (Jens risked a nasty fall to lead it)

Backbone Ridge- OW was tough!

Mt Adams w/ my Dad- Unforgetable

Chair Peak- North Face in November- Awesome mixed climb!

I havent really caught on to this bivy thing, so all routes were car to car (except Lib Ridge frown.gif)

Thanks for all the tips and advice (whether solicited or not smile.gif) and for an awesome resource!

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

When I arrived in WA (Feb), I was leading 8 trad / 9 sport, and at the end of summer I am leading 10 trad / 10+ sport. I have been here a little over 8 months now I have done the following (chestbeat!):

Baker - Easton

Rainier - Emmons (attempt, melted out)

Guye peak

Dragontail/Colchuck linkup

Dragontail - Serpentine arete

Tooth - south face solo, NE slabs (attempt, too much avalanche activity)

Mt.Whitney - slog route

Boundary peak - slog again

Lots of cragging:

Squamish - 4 weekends (Ultimate everything, Diedre, bannana peel, calculus crack, mosquito connection, many others)

Darrington - Silent running

Vantage - Most of sunshine wall and the feathers

Index - Lots of time on the lower wall and Green Dragon on the upper wall

Smith - Zebra zion, many other nice lines

Exits - averaging about once every 2 weeks or so, running out of lines I can do...

All this and I had to take a month off due to an injury.

Can't wait to get my first ice season in here (assuming I can find the ice and someone to go with). wave.gif

Don't post here much, thought I'd introduce myself with trips I've done this year.

Orbit, Angel, Condorphamine Addiction, and various other crag climbs in 11worth and Vantage

Fernow, Big Snow, Davis, Sahale, Sperry, Overcoat - scrambles

Colchuck - Northeast Buttress Couloir

Stuart - Stuart Glacier Couloir

Adams - Adams Glacier

Exfoliation Dome - West Buttress Blueberry Hill

Liberty Bell/Concord Tower - NW Face/Tunnel route

Stuart - Upper North Ridge

Dragontail - Serpentine Arete

Shuksan - NW arete

SEWS - EBD

Lexington - EF

Dragontail - Backbone Ridge

Prusik Peak - West Ridge, Burgner-Stanley

plus 3 failed attempts on Rainier, and 1 each on Baker, Chimney Rock, Stuart, Colchuck, Triumph, and Liberty Mountain.

sharing gets the psych up for the future! Thanks for the sends, people!

got an open project out in vantage in the spring, short power problem prolly 13c or d, and did extended illness in a few goes out at little si. Psyched!

now to rehab a bad finger, and start pulling down in the gym.

Stay psyched!

uh yeah...yer welcome for the beta on extended! grin.gifyellaf.gif

just kiddin'...