Major Weather

jmace

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what river are you hitting this weekend.

Probably this one:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/3603/

if the flows hold up overnight.

Don't think that you'll have any problem finding water out there. I heard through the grapevine that the Sky is supposed to hit 38K on Sunday.

Pretty easy to find a crew to hook up with at www.professorpaddle.com if you are need to scrounge up some folks to paddle with.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

300 PM PST FRI NOV 3 2006

...THEN THE THIRD STRONG SYSTEM PLOWS IN LATE IN THE DAY

SUNDAY. THE BAROCLINIC ZONE THAT SETS UP OVER THE AREA SUNDAY NIGHT

AND MONDAY PROMISES TO BE THE WETTEST SYSTEM SO FAR...WITH A VERY

MILD AIR MASS...CLASSIC PINEAPPLE EXPRESS.

ya plenty of wet stuff...breaks wed/thur then Fri is the next round...

Jay, I know the PP.com crowd very well. I post there as Tradguy2 LOL. Do you post there?

I already have people to go with, taking some beginners out Sunday and looking to hit the NF of thr Sky tomorrow. No way I'm touching the main Sky at 38K. I've seen Boulder at 30K before, nothing but waves and holes of biblical propotions.

Aha...registered there under the same name, but haven't posted more than once since the exile began. ScottH is a good friend of mine who you may or may not have run into.

Snap some photos of BD and post them at pp if you get the chance - I've always wanted to see that thing when it's roaring. I've heard of people running it at 55K, but I don't think I'd want much to do with it unless it was about 11X lower.

Word.

The Sky was frighteningly high and fast this weekend. Was anyone out that way? I am wondering if anyone else heard the very, very strange thunderous rumble Sat night at midnight. I thought it might be an avalanche--there was a very long, loud rumble--but only one. It didn't seem like that could be thunder, could it?

The Sky was frighteningly high and fast this weekend. Was anyone out that way? I am wondering if anyone else heard the very, very strange thunderous rumble Sat night at midnight. I thought it might be an avalanche--there was a very long, loud rumble--but only one. It didn't seem like that could be thunder, could it?

There's some footage of the main rapid on the Sky on Saturday here - at 15,000 CFS which made me want to hurl:

http://www.professorpaddle.com/mediaview.asp?mediaid=573&riverid=586

It's currently at 71,700cfs and may peak a bit higher. eek.gif

Anyone out that way that'd care to take some pics? This is a level where it wouldn't be surprising to see double-wides getting recirculated in surreal hydraulics.

I don't think it was one weather front hitting another (the only thing I could think of that would cause one protracted rumble) because it was already raining so hard for days. I am not a weather expert (and I'd like to hear from some about this) but I didn't think that it was possible to just have a single thunder episode like that in the middle of a storm. It was very strange. Any thoughts?

Word is the river's been run at 77,000cfs before. Footage, people, footage....

A buddy of mine lost his waterfront cabin during that flood. More accurately, both neighbors on either side had their cabins and property swept away...my friend's cabin remained cantilevered halfway over a fifty foot cliff, supported only by its concrete foundation. Needless to say, the insurance company frowned on his moving back in as is.

Never buy riverfront property on an outside bend.

There was definatly two or three seperate bursts of lightning on Saturdy night here in Bellingham. I saw the flashes but did not hear the thunder b/c it was raining so hard. My living room was illuminted with the unmistakable burst of blue light two or three times while we were watching Serpico. NO SNOW cry.gifcry.gif

I read that this is part of an "el ninita" system. Does that mean anything? It seems like every year they come up with a new version of el nino to explain storm systems. Is this level of rain at this time of the year part of a longer cyclical pattern?

I also read that this means our winter is going to be shorter. Can that be predicted this early?