Graffiti at The Feathers

catbirdseat

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The standard treatment appears to have been to cover the graffiti with paint of a color that matches the rock. It is difficult to do this perfectly. Sandblasting would probably be best but would be very costly and time-consuming, not to mention it alters the rock. There is a solvent-based removal scheme but I know very little about it.

We tried several methods of removing the spray painted graffiti. A commercial paint stripper, Super PolyStrippa, worked best. From earlier research we knew that this kind of product can be used without affecting the original rock painting underneath the graffiti. (Appropriate health, safety and environmental precautions must be taken when handling this product; the active ingredient is the solvent methylene chloride). Solvent treatment was followed with a water rinse using a plastic squeeze bottle. Locally available soil was then rubbed into the areas treated. The soil was applied by hand and with a stiff plastic bristle brush.

http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/about-cci/cci-i...Document_ID=112

I don't know how much graffiti is there, but using a solvent to remove it is the best as far as its effects on the rock and its looks, but you probably wouldn't want to use methylene chloride. It sounds like that was special because it removed the graffiti but not the paint underneath. It's a potential carcinogen and probably 10x more expensive than something you could just buy at a hardware store. It will be a substantial cost no matter what method you use, 'cause paint, solvents, and sandblasters are all expensive in large scale.

you guys are talking about removing sacred artwork. these should be considered national treasures depicting the tirals and tribulations of the youth of our time. and you just want to chemically piss it away. how dare you! these paintings are timeless classics to be viewed and enjoyed for years to come, proof that man's creativity can be introduced to any natural setting. thumbs_down.gif

Interesting notions about cleaning up the Vantage crags of "graffiti".

How about cleaning up the permanently installed closely-spaced metallic graffiti found on top-ropable or clean-climable basalt columns everwhere in the vicinity? Got any solvents that will dissolve some of these?:

fixebolthangers.jpg

That's all I'll say about that for the moment because they might kick me off of here for expressing such an OUTRAGEOUS viewpoint. rolleyes.gif

Something else to think about: when does graffiti become vandalism vs. art or history? For example, there's some graffiti carved in the rock at the base of Air Guitar at Vantage in memory of Goran Kropp. Some might think it's a special case; others might think it's especially egregious because it is incised into the rock, and thereby not even removable with solvents or what not.

I noticed that there is a great deal of new graffiti at the Feathers. Now that the concert season is over it's time to remove or cover the unsightly crap.

Why do you assume it's the concert-goers? It could be anyone, including wayward climbers.

Something else to think about: when does graffiti become vandalism vs. art or history? For example, there's some graffiti carved in the rock at the base of Air Guitar at Vantage in memory of Goran Kropp. Some might think it's a special case; others might think it's especially egregious because it is incised into the rock, and thereby not even removable with solvents or what not.

I thought I heard that there is also some sort of plaque there now as well?

I have mixed feelings about the inscription at the base of AG. Not very "sensitive" or PC to air the negative half of those feelings though. Who did that inscription anyway?

Dude, beware the slippery bolt slope. Stay on the wagon.

If asked I would not have approved of the carving on Air Guitar. The plaque perhaps, but not the carving. It's kind of like those monuments along the roadside. How can you tell someone they can't do that after they've lost a loved one? Still, a temporary monument would have been better.

Though I have never felt good about adding to the paint, I hereby confess that I have for four years been painting much of the brown paint over some of the graffiti at the feathers. I started by taking out the “mr mojo” insignia after an OzFest about 4-5 years ago, and I have continued to monitor and paint over much of the graffiti since. I feel bad about adding to the paint, but know that if the graffiti is not covered or removed, it will encourage more. The tremendous amount of graffiti added this year is hard to cover with the brown, and I ran out of paint. Know that if anyone wants to put together a clean-up and needs help, I can probably supply numerous laborers.

Eric

Hey man you guys need to take some stock in your life. Who you tryin to impress the boy in the bubble. Man the stuff is called spray-on paint remover. They charge a fortune for it down at home depot. I swear to god the stuff i'll strip powder coating. I saw it right in front of my face man. Or do what I do have your friend at the body shop swipe you a bottle. Man I bet you belong to AAA. I gota go fruit.gif

Acetone's not all that cheap either, when bought as a "chemical" for "research." That adds about 100+% to the price of something common though, so I'm sure you could find it cheaper. It ought to work. The tricky part would be to actually remove the paint instead of dissolving it while the acetone runs down the rock 3 inches then evaporates leaving the paint 3 inches lower and much, much uglier cool.gif I'm sure it could be done.

Does anybody know how to get a hold of acetone [or another relatively environmentally and people-friendly chemical that will remove said paint] cheaply and legally? I will possibly be at Vantage this weekend, weather permitting, and wouldn't mind helping out if I have the tools.

Maybe I'll bring a little acetone and a couple other chemicals to test out our theories before anybody spends bucks on something that won't work.

Edited by ClimbingPanther

CP say:

Does anybody know how to get a hold of acetone... ...cheaply and legally?

Walgreen's, K-Mart, Target, Rite Aid; the list goes on. It's nail polish remover, fer chrissakes. rolleyes.gif

slaphappy sez:

acetone can be purchased at the Home Depot paint dept. but I don't think you'll find it capable of removing any dried paint...

Works swimmingly on dried nail polish, which is a laquer (a paint) and also quite similar to automotive paints/finishes.