Bent crampons

DPS

So I managed to bend my aluminum crampons. They are still functional, however, some of the downward pointing points now are splayed to the outside. Should I try to bend them back into position (possibly weakening them further) or leave them as they are?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

High strength aluminum alloys are precipitation hardened. This occures by heating the metal (it comes form the supplier "solution heat treated" which is soft) to a carefully specified temperature for a given period of time. During this treatment alloy constituents such as copper pricipitate as a fine array of crystals in the aluminum microstructure, hardening the metal. The metal is now not very ductile and rebending your crampon points back to verticle must be done very carefully to avoid cracks. Yes, the re-bent points will not be a strong as they were origionally. DO NOT heat or anneal the metal as this will just further the precipication process making it harder and more brittle. Is is possible to repeat the solution heat treatment for some alloys followed by repeating the precipitation hardeding process, but this would be a very precise, complex set of heat treatment steps and cannot be done without special engineering and equipment support. I would not trust reheated crampons. To have it done commercially would be prohibitively expensive.

Edited by still_climbin