Yellow Jacket Tower Squabble

robotslave

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a member of the insane clown posse, i can't believe how you guys have this group mentality that is so anti-group. Club CC.com could learn some manners from Telemarktips.com and minnesotaclimbing.com.

perhaps the icp should shake the iron admin fist blush.gif

HOLY SHIT man I took my dad up that route for his first-ever climb in the mountains last summer. We got stuck right behind this mounties party. Seriously, I'm no footwork expert, but those guys really could have used some slab technique pointers.

Were they wearing rockshoes or boots?

BOOTS but how does that affect technique? I've soloed that in both directions in both tennis shoes and rock shoes. WHY anyone would be wearing big leather boots there is far beyond me.

I agree, it's not hard to climb 5.4 in boots. But it's certainly easier to climb slab in tennies or rockshoes.

That's the Mounties mentality for you. Moreso the older generation. The younger generation is more likely to climb in gyms and use rockshoes. As I said, things are changing, but slowly. Hopefully there will be no more Mounties approaching Eldorado or Olympus in plastic boots.

John, I'm being serious here. If you ever catch a Mounties party larger than 6 in NCNP (or two Mounties parties camped together), please report it to the Mounties at once.

WA pass is a prime example.

WA Pass isn't in the NCNP. rolleyes.gif

its the principle, pompompoofpoof. Gary was talking about them trying to limit their impact on other groups...

HOLY SHIT man I took my dad up that route for his first-ever climb in the mountains last summer. We got stuck right behind this mounties party. Seriously, I'm no footwork expert, but those guys really could have used some slab technique pointers.

Were they wearing rockshoes or boots?

WTF would you wear boots on that for? Duh...

I agree, it's not hard to climb 5.4 in boots. But it's certainly easier to climb slab in tennies or rockshoes.

That's the Mounties mentality for you. Moreso the older generation. The younger generation is more likely to climb in gyms and use rockshoes. As I said, things are changing, but slowly. Hopefully there will be no more Mounties approaching Eldorado or Olympus in plastic boots.

eventually they'll have "eliminated" this issue darwin style...

at least they're trying to address their problems. not sure this mentor thing is the way to go about it but at least it's something.

i do want to be clear. i know some pretty cool folks that are/have been mounties. the organization as a whole bothers me but most of the people i've known/met were good folks. some of i've really enjoyed doing things with. others are one time and out.

octavius seems to be a good example of getting what he needs from the mounties and still continuing to evaluate and think.

Minx and RuMR made some good points:

The club system is from an older time, and things are different now (it made a lot more sense before the Internet and today's fast-paced society). One could argue that fifty years ago, learning through the Mounties was probably the best way to go. There are many more options now.

The Mounties will go extinct if change doesn't happen. They've had a steady reduction in numbers over the years, and their average age is growing.

Some Mounties are trying to change the system. But there are committee members and board directors and bureaucracy. And many of those people are old and/or old-fashioned. While conservatism is good for keeping the club safe from lawsuits and other stupid shit, it doesn't allow the club to freely change with the times.

Gary, I don't know for sure if this is true or not but it strikes me that there is increasingly less interest in mountain climbing among younger folks these days, even more than the reduced climber numbers we are seeing at Mount Rainier or the North Cascades. I also think that younger folks are less and less inclined to join an organization.