Psychological Cascade Routes

scottgg

Ok, what about psychologically challenging Cascade routes? It seems some of the more hyped hard climbs are well within most of our technical range, but due to the mysterious aurora (whether deserved or not) they receive few ascents. the_finger.gif

Last week I saw two parties bail off saber ledge on Castle Rock, after deciding against the canary route. After seeing both parties climb the first pitch (harder) I know the intimidating pitch was within their technical reach.

What are some other technically moderate routes with a big psyche-out factor?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to "aura," I think the Curtis Ridge route on Mount Rainier sees few ascents in part because of the fact that there was at least one bad accident there many years ago. I've been told it is a good route, though.

Also, the 5.9 off-width on Backbone Ridge seems to deter parties who are plenty capable of climbing it.

MisterE described Sagitarius to me in the following way on our drive to index:

5.10a... and it's the hardest .10c climb you'll find. Should be called Sagi-Scary-ous.

That had a psychological effect on me.

I don't understand all the hype that Saggitarius gets. It's a little burly, but not that hard technically. And the pro is great for the 10a lieback up top.

Now the top part of the approach pitch to Thin Fingers, that thin crack above the ledge, that's spooky because rope-stretch will likely make you hit the ledge.

G-M p3 feels more awkward to me than Saggitarius.

How about the one alpine peak that a famous tick-list climber didn't climb (for posterity), and took Mike 4? 5? tries?

Saggitarius: Thanks, Blake. Anyone who wishes to call themselves a 5.10 trad climber should be able to do this benchmark climb, to the second anchors. Apparently, easily! rolleyes.gif

To say it is not hard and psychologically challenging, even to an experienced climber, is a yellaf.gif

That is a person who has lost their beginnings, and probably, the true path that Dean has shown us. hahaha.gif