Hooked

chrisIW

Just got back from Mt. Hood. It was awesome!! Any suggestions on what I should do next? I think I might be addicted now. I went to Powell's and bought Selected Cascade Climbs. Just one more question or point to ponder, are people allowed to bring their dogs into wilderness areas? It was just an unusual sight to see someone with a dog on top of Hood.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...are people allowed to bring their dogs into wilderness areas? It was just an unusual sight to see someone with a dog on top of Hood.

No, dogs are not allowed outside homes or fenced yards; it would've been perfectly legal and justifiable if you'd have hacked the mut to death with your ice axe in front of its owners.

...are people allowed to bring their dogs into wilderness areas? It was just an unusual sight to see someone with a dog on top of Hood.

No, dogs are not allowed outside homes or fenced yards; it would've been perfectly legal and justifiable if you'd have hacked the mut to death with your ice axe in front of its owners.

Seems like a well thought out, measured answer to the question. rolleyes.gif

But it's a good segue into the question why some dog owners continue to climb while thier dog's paws are leaving blood stains in the snow. I've seen this a few times (4) and it seems a little rough on the dog.

My friends dog has seen the summit of quite a few peaks in the cascades; Shuksan, Eldorado, Baker, etc...What the hell do you care if theres a dog on the summit of a mountain, your there. Goats are there, bugs are there. If you dont want to see a dog climb something harder.

What other mountains has anyone seen dogs on the summit?

Adams: German shepard chased a volleyball that got away from the players. Chased it right down and tried grabbing it with his mouth to bring it back. That was funny to watch!

St. Helens: Some mutt playing frisbee next to the rim. Almost went over the lip trying to grab one out of the air.

Numerous smaller, non-glaciated peaks and knobs. Those don't count.

Mike said:

you need to re-think your idea of wilderness if a dog ruins your wilderness experience. I mean, doesn't the climb involve a ski area slog for almost half of the route?

Everything on this earth is natural from dogs to styrofoam.

Mike: are you suggesting that seeing 2 million skiers on the lift overhead as you hike up above Timberline should affect him slightly more than seeing a dog?

Have we even ascertained what kind of dog it was? It could have been a Schnauzer or teacup poodle for Christ sake. Just kidding about that last part, I just wanted to say Schnauzer.

I was wondering what Chris meant by this: ?

It sort of put a damper on what I did when I saw that an unleased dog.
blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif : wazzup.gif

Chris asked :

What other mountains has anyone seen dogs on the summit?

This one I can answer. I've been up many of the Cascade Shield volcanos, often by several routes. I might have seen dogs on probably all of them. Propably every damn one at one time or another. Especially a crowded weekend on Adams or Helens, pretty much guarenteed. I don't remember any on Raineer, but thats probably just faulty memory. There use to be a Mazama guy around here named Peter Gaeska, I heard someone say his dog had summited most of the big Cascade mountains, and I think I heard Mt Hood alone like 20 times, by a bunch of different routes as well. Some of those damn dogs can climb close to 70-80 degree slopes on a less than hard ice day. The part that always gets me is not seeing any goggles on the pooches. You't think they 'd be tearing their eyes up from the UV rays.

A better thread might be where all those lazy F*en Cats are? You ever see any Cats on anthing from a slog to WI2 or up? NO! It's astounding I say. Hey, my cat just sits on it's ass, I'm not saying she's anything different or special.

Chris, clarify yourself.

I'm under the impression that you think it's unsafe or harmful to have dogs up high on the mountain. If that's the case then I might tend to agree with you.

I was up on Hood descending the Chute 2 years ago when mountainspeedclimber and Caddis were heading up. Caddis was leading the way, and seemed to be in great shape. Contrast that to a few years prior when I ran into a guy and his dog at the Hogsback. He was sporting some cool new Levis, a wife beater and some worn out tennis shoes. His loyal pooch was walking around scared, cold and leaving patches of blood from his paws wherever he could find footing. madgo_ron.gif

So what is it? Inconvenience, or are you really concerned about the animals? wazzup.gif

About the dogs:

1. I am allergic to most dog and cat hair

2. I just thought it might be unsafe or hamful to animals.

Not that I don't like dogs, I love them. I am not trying to tick people off. It was just an unusual sight for me. Also made the allure of wilderness less thrilling.

It would be like seeing someone with jeans and a T-Shirt at the top of the mountain. Which of course is not the same thing. Just the thought that it is so easy a "dog" could do it. Is the Southside route a hands in your pockets kind of climb.

Should I not have paid a guide to climb such an "easy climb".

Again nothing against dogs or people who bring them with them.

About the dogs:

1. I am allergic to most dog and cat hair

2. I just thought it might be unsafe or hamful to animals.

Not that I don't like dogs, I love them. I am not trying to tick people off. It was just an unusual sight for me. Also made the allure of wilderness less thrilling.

It would be like seeing someone with jeans and a T-Shirt at the top of the mountain. Which of course is not the same thing. Just the thought that it is so easy a "dog" could do it. Is the Southside route a hands in your pockets kind of climb.

Should I not have paid a guide to climb such an "easy climb".

Again nothing against dogs or people who bring them with them.

1. you are not allergic to their hair, you are allergic to dander. Don't pet them and then wipe your nose and you will live.

2. save your mothering for your own pets.

and personally, I respect someone who can make the mountain in a tee shirt and jeans; especially if he has a dog running beside him.

It was just an unusual sight for me. Also made the allure of wilderness less thrilling

Ahhhh, did someone ruin your wilderness experience. cry.gif

You need some group therapy and a hug.

... It would be like seeing someone with jeans and a T-Shirt at the top of the mountain.

Yeah and dude is probably laughing his ass off at you for needing plastic boots, an ice axe, a helmet, a rope, a harness, and tons of poly-pro and goretex, to go snow hiking.