TR: Prusik Peak WR

scot'teryx

quote:

Originally posted by fern:

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

I think Fern still wants to drag me up it as a 1 day trip this weekend but we will see.
[big Grin]

we will see ... this is what they call chestbeating in advance. now everyone will laugh when we fail.
[Roll Eyes]

It would be cool to have you along Ray
[big Grin]
, ... if we go. Your other comment is inaccurate.

I am already practicing my evisceration skills for when we end up doing the forced bivi and I have to cut open a goat and crawl inside it to stay warm. SINCE it sounds like Fern is gonna kick me if I suggest spooning [laf] Maybe Ray will spoon with me. [Eek!] Or show me the secret 1954 beckey cache of tennis shoes and Sterno.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was "Golden Week" in the Enchantments. This is the name Peg and Bill Stark gave to their annual pilgramage every first week of October for over thirty years. They didn't give up this tradition until they reached about age eighty -- or did they? Were there some old folks camped on a rock above the N. shore of Lake Viviane? Thanks for the pictures...

quote:

Are you referring to the "first pitch" If so, everyone free'd it, though it was a little tricky with a rope in one hand.

Not the first pitch, plus we took the right side version of that pitch that gained the ridgeline below the 5.7 slab pitch. We were able to complete the climb in 3 pitches. We did not take the direct 5.8 leg eating crack to the summit as I watched someone in front of us do it and it looked totally awkward. The 5.4 chimney that was around the corner on the top was easy but not too exposed, only had to put in 2 pieces on that last pitch, it was just too much fun. We started that pitch in the hand crack that had the blue runner in it.

Yeah, I'll second what Ivan said...the car-to-car made it a challenging day in terms of effort required, but the climb itself is not very difficult at all. I thought the final chimney was the most difficult by far, and from everybody's posts, it seems we did some sort of 5.8 variation chimney instead of an easier 5.5 or 5.6 one. In any event, I only saw the one chimney, so that made the decision easy. [big Drink]

Also, I would definitely recommend *against* bringing 2 ropes. The north side rappel is actually quite blocky and we got the rope stuck once even with just a single. I think the knot would be a huge liability.

If I did the WR Prusik again I would take a light 50m half rope. I'm pretty sure 50m would reach all the repells and for the 2 spots where Ivan and I belayed you could double the rope as they aren't long at all. That's just my opinion, so YMMV.

-josh

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

Greg Crouch puts a pretty picture on the last page of the new rock and ice and now even boulderers wil be hikin pads up there.
[Wazzup]

There seemed to be so many boulder problems up there on some of those boulders just right off the trails, I'd wouldnt be surprised if there were just a ton of classic problems up there.

Wont catch me hauling anything less than I have to up that evil snow creek trail

But, the boulders at the bottom of Aasgard Pass have some potential eh?

Thanks for the biner again Tex!

my friend appreciates it

watch out for cougars smokin in the hut!