Pandora Solos Nisqually Icecliff

catbirdseat

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tex,

Perhaps starting a new thread questioning why people congratulate others would be a useful way for you to spend your time. Your insistence on hijacking this thread is tired and inappropriate. Just stop now.

Congratulations on a great climb, Hannah.

Somewhere in an alternate reality the title of this thread says "Pandora drags some fatass dude up the Nisqually Icecliff."

Don't take this question as criticism on the climb, it sounds pretty cool, but this has been gnawing at me - if one climber is climbing with another, is it a solo climb? Did she just solo the technical portions?

confused.gif

Again, I don't really care one way or the other, just kind of cornfused (as usual).

I would not call that a solo. Being utterly alone on a big mountain, with no one to talk to for hours, only hearing the tinktink of ice dropping down around you is soloing. This can be a great experience, or it can be somewhat terrifying. The presence of another person changes the experience dramatically, sometimes for the worse.

Don't take this question as criticism on the climb, it sounds pretty cool, but this has been gnawing at me - if one climber is climbing with another, is it a solo climb? Did she just solo the technical portions?

confused.gif

Again, I don't really care one way or the other, just kind of cornfused (as usual).

I've heard Colin call that "simulsoloing".

I would not call that a solo. Being utterly alone on a big mountain, with no one to talk to for hours, only hearing the tinktink of ice dropping down around you is soloing. This can be a great experience, or it can be somewhat terrifying. The presence of another person changes the experience dramatically, sometimes for the worse.

Especially if your simul-solo partner turns violent and goes for the leg sweep.

2025IMG_0348-med.JPG

Somewhere in an alternate reality the title of this thread says "Pandora drags some fatass dude up the Nisqually Icecliff."

confused.gif

eh? I didn't say anything about there being anyone else there. Hence alternate reality. wazzup.gif Point I was trying to convey, is that she's at least as fit as any other mountaineer I know--and that has nothing to do with gender. (See original post for a translation.)

Edited by ashw_justin

Wow, I am amazed at the attention this climb has gotten without me ever posting a word! It was a fun read, so thanks to everyone who weighed in.

One thing I’d like to make clear: I consider this climb a solo because I was alone from the time I left Muir to the time I got back. It was the fourth, and hardest, route I’ve soloed on Rainier. Trip reports are fun to read but hard to write, and I want to be sure I’m doing these climbs because I love it, not to brag on cc.com. That said, I truly appreciate the congratulations!

fruit.gif

confused.gif

eh? I didn't say anything about there being anyone else there. Hence alternate reality. wazzup.gif Point I was trying to convey, is that she's at least as fit as any other mountaineer I know--and that has nothing to do with gender. (See original post for a translation.)

Sorry you seem to be a little to subtle for my dense cranium. I thought you were suggesting she had some company, my bad. cantfocus.gif

I did initiate some worthy thread drift though. thumbs_up.gif

That must have been a great day. Soloing for me was always the most rewarding, such a deep experience with yourself and the natural energies. Good for you to step into that space and that challenge! It sounds like you were prepared for it, and it was part of your progression and deepening relationship with the mountain. Cheers to you!

Dear Tex and Griz.

My grandmother always said that if you are feeling out of sorts and just can't seem to cheer up, try an enima.

Enimas are highly underrated these days.

It used to be common to give yourself an enima.

Cleaning out the colon is a great healthy thing that envigorates your entire digestive and immunological system.

Many cancers could be prevented by a healthy immunological system but have been stymied by the lack of enimas.

So give it a try Tex.

Griz, try two.