Valentine's Day

Dechristo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Because you've spent the rest of the year pontificating on how cool it is to be single because no one else is good enough for you and this is the day that you get reminded that you're wrong?

You must be referring to yourself, because I ain't done no pontificating about that. Not on the coolness of being single, or that no one else is good enough for me. confused.gifwazzup.gif

Somewhat myself. But I'm sure I can think of half a dozen each male and female climbers I know who mostly enjoy being single.

Being single is great because you can do whatever you want when you want. You don't have any constraints. You don't need to compromise or worry about hurting someone's feelings. It's the ultimate in selfishness. Want to go to the Himalaya for three months? No problem. Is someone good enough for you to sacrifice your selfishness (climbing, education, lifestyle, etc.)? In many cases, no.

Being a couple is great because of situations where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, or one can help the other when the other has hardship. As a couple, you have reliability, but it comes with compromise and the sacrifice of selfishness.

As for the juicy stuff, sex, as a single, it's hit-or-miss. Partners may be semiregular or rather irregular. My opinion is that sex with someons you don't truly love is fun, but nowhere near the holistic experience of with a soulmate.

So anyway, back to VDay. Most of the time, being single is great. But sometimes it's not. Much like living alone versus having a roommate. If you're living alone, there are no issues regarding noise or messiness. You can walk around naked all day. But if you had a rough day and wanted someone to talk to, you're out of luck. With VDay and its ubiquitous and overt reminders to spend money on couple activities, it reminds me of the downsides of being single, which for me, tend to be greater at this time of the year than in summer.

bah humbug! i'm going skiing. valentines day is just another lame hallmark holiday. the only holiday we celebrate with expensive gifts is my birthday evils3d.gif

i don't get the whole valentines day thing. why would i want to go out to eat at an overpriced restaurant that's packed with other couples who needed a specific day on the calendar to acknowledge they have feelings for their date thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

bah humbug! i'm going skiing. valentines day is just another lame hallmark holiday. the only holiday we celebrate with expensive gifts is my birthday evils3d.gif

i don't get the whole valentines day thing. why would i want to go out to eat at an overpriced restaurant that's packed with other couples who needed a specific day on the calendar to acknowledge they have feelings for their date thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

Not quite on-topic, but the skiing on Easter usually kicks ass. I think something like 5 out of the last 10 Easter Sundays on the mountain have been powder days, and there's been noooooooooooo ooooooooooooonnnnnnne out there. One Easter at Crystal was especially incredible. Probably the only time in my life that I'll double-over because of dual quad-cramps and still be smiling. Jesus really was my personal savior that day. fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif