quote by Jimmy Carter

Gary_Yngve

regarding Hamas,

"If you sponsor an election or promote democracy and freedom around the world, then when people make their own decision about their leaders, I think that all the governments should recognize that administration and let them form their government,"

As much as I despise Hamas, I think Carter has a good point.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

regarding Hamas,

"If you sponsor an election or promote democracy and freedom around the world, then when people make their own decision about their leaders, I think that all the governments should recognize that administration and let them form their government,"

No one has moved to prevent them from forming their government. The US and other countries have, however, indicated that they have no intention of subsidizing a government dedicated to the anhiliation of Israel. The fact that anyone construes this as unjust interference in their affairs is amazing.

No one has moved to prevent them from forming their government. The US and other countries have, however, indicated that they have no intention of subsidizing a government dedicated to the anhiliation of Israel. The fact that anyone construes this as unjust interference in their affairs is amazing.

Gee, given we've supported Israel's systematic dismantling of the Palestinian economy, leaving the Palestinian economy wholely dependant on foreign aid, I can't imagine why they'd be pissed when we support a boycott of all aid rolleyes.gif

Gee JayB - recent history has shown the poorer and more lawless the Arab country, the fewer terrorists end up being based and emerging, right?

Jay, have we not said (along with the Israeli's) that we will not talk to them because they are a terrorist organization? Might we undermine the formation or function of their government if we stick to this position?

Did we similarly refuse to talk to Likud because they were dedicated to the destruction of any Palestinian state?

Gee, given we've supported Israel's systematic dismantling of the Palestinian economy, leaving the Palestinian economy wholely dependant on foreign aid, I can't imagine why they'd be pissed when we support a boycott of all aid rolleyes.gif

Right, which is why Carter suggests that if we can't legally give humanitarian aid to the PLO right now, we funnel the money through UNICEF or another organization.

Right, which is why Carter suggests that if we can't legally give humanitarian aid to the PLO right now, we funnel the money through UNICEF or another organization.

Hmmmm..this quote perfectly expresses modern political behavior...

bigdrink.gif

confused.gif I wasn't speaking of any one group.

Only pointing out that in the last 5 years Israel, and it's policies, have shattered the already pathetic Palestinian economy and left the Palestinian people completely dependant on foreign aid. When forced into such situations people rarely look upon the string pullers fondly.

Interesting that Hamas has been elected, Iran has gone hard right, Chile and Argentina have gone more lefty, and other middle east monarchies have back-stepped from more democratic forums since our invasion of Iraq. So just where is freedom on the march?

Interesting that Hamas has been elected, Iran has gone hard right, Chile and Argentina have gone more lefty, and other middle east monarchies have back-stepped from more democratic forums since our invasion of Iraq. So just where is freedom on the march?

Here damnit! Freedom's on the March here you limp wristed, lefty.

Oh wait a minute people are getting arrested for wearing T-shirts at the State of the Union, and are phones are being tapped. Never mind me...

madgo_ron.gif

confused.gif I wasn't speaking of any one group.

Only pointing out that in the last 5 years Israel, and it's policies, have shattered the already pathetic Palestinian economy and left the Palestinian people completely dependant on foreign aid. When forced into such situations people rarely look upon the string pullers fondly.

Yes, the PLO was dependent on foreign aid, including aid from us. Now that Hamas is in charge and blacklisted as a terrorist org, we cannot legally give the Palestinian people any more humanitarian aid. But we can funnel the money through UNICEF.

Basically we're not giving them a second chance or any time to fix things up. We're trying to shove "the right way" up their asses. No wonder folks across the world don't like us.

During the second World War, when the Germans were crossing the border into Russia, they passed a number of Russian trains hauling grain and other provisions to Germany. Naturally, they allowed the trains to pass, and the trains duly delivered their goods as the Germans began their onslaught. At least the Russians could claim that they were deceived. People who want a resolution of the hostilities would have no such excuse in this case.

I encourage the members of the Hamas fan-club on this board to read their founding charter, as well as their other publications and speeches, and see if you can still convince yourself that we should blindly subsidize their agenda.

If they want to pursue a hopeless and doomed campaign that will condemn their entire population to further ruin - they should be free to do so, but the notion that we should promote such actions through no-strings-attached subsidies is retarded. Idiotarians of the World, Unite!

but the notion that we should promote such actions through no-strings-attached subsidies is retarded. Idiotarians of the World, Unite!

So the creation of another poverty ridden radical islamic state is exactly what the world needs? Exactly who is the idiot here?

regarding Hamas,

regarding George W. Bush,

wave.gif

Not to mention them there Canadians.