Stupid people from Summit Post

crazyjizzy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but how could no one speak up about those dumbshits after 8 months? Does anyone read trip reports on that site?

1) Maybe lots of people at Summit Post are stupid. I know that Klenke and Allison both go there.

2) Maybe, also, people don't read trip reports there.

Go there yourself, and tell me if it's a troll. I don't think so.

I've read this before and was astonished by it. That TR was posted on SP before you could comment on trip reports. I've sure if it was posted now there would be many comments regarding the stupidity of the climbers and guides.

It just goes to show that Summit Fever can be a deadly disease. Perhaps they need to go to the talk advertised in another post on this site: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/534499/an/0/page/1#534499

As someone already mentioned... Kilimanjaro is notorious for this. Many of the guiding outfits, particularly the local ones, are not knowledgeable about these issues. They put forth such great advice as "Don't take Diamox... the people who take that medicine are the ones who don't do well on summit day." Ascent rates are way too fast in many cases. Add in some clients/climbers with little experience with altitude issues and you have a bad mix. A few client die per year and, worse, several porters die each year.

I worked in Nepal for a stretch in Pheriche and interacted with lots and lots of trekkers on their way to Everest Base Camp -- a goal that holds a place in their minds that is pretty similar to the way a lot of folks approach Kilimanjaro . There were the scattered few who didn't have a clue about the altitude and its potentially harmful effects. The norm, however, was that most people knew it could be a problem but didn't know enough details to be able to recognize altitude illness or respond properly when it occurred.