glove/mitt/leash systems

Gary_Yngve

I'm curious what everyone uses.

I think we can all agree on the benefit of having a pair (or more) of climbing gloves, and a separate pair of belay mitts.

I think we can also agree that if we can get away with a thinner pair, then that's better (regarding gripping the tools, placing pro, etc.).

Some possibilities:

mitten shell with liner glove beneath, mitten stays on the tool when you place pro -- possible issues w/ super-cold temps?

leather glove, either remove it from the leash or unclip the leash - if it's a cheap glove from the hardware store, the fit might not be great?

lightweight Shoeller - sucks when wet?

pricy burly Goretex "Alpine"/"Ice Climbing" gloves - seems too beefy/awkward?

others?

Perhaps it's best to break down based on temps:

-2 - +2 C

-7 - -2 C

-15 - -7 C

-25 - -15 C

-40 - -25 C

I'm curious what yall think.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloudveil Ice Floe gloves rockband.gif! I climbed everything from Polar Circus in -25C to Terminator at around freezing with these gloves. I've been using them for 3 years after trying many other systems and they seem to work the best for me. I use android leashes, so the gloves stay on all the time. They also have great grip for when you want to go leashless. They're kinda pricey, but I get the pro deal for a bit less. grin.gif

I carry Marmot ski patrol work gloves for belaying/rapelling and have had the same pair for 2 years. They are the toughest warm gloves I've ever used. Many, many rapells and still going.

1-3 pair of cloudveil ice floe gloves (depending on how wet it is and if you are just ice cragging or doing an alpine route ) + 1 pair of BD mercury mitts. I sized the mitts so that I can put them on over the cloudveil gloves at belays.

A pair of approach gloves is also key... if you sweat like most people then whatever you wear on the approach is going to get soaked.

Also a beater pair of car gloves are key for chaining up, digging out, etc etc so you don't trash your good stuff.

Perhaps it's best to break down based on temps:

-2 - +2 C

-7 - -2 C lead in leather work gloves

-15 - -7 C lead in a thin pair of cheap wool glooves

-25 - -15 C " "

-40 - -25 C haven't climbed in -40C temps

and i have one pair of belay gloves i use of most all belaying. I have yet to find a pair of liner gloves with a shell that you put of it that provide both dexerity and warmth

I'm curious what yall think.

If's it's really warm I wear a pair of Hercules work gloves (the kind with the cotton mesh top and super grippy palms). I have tried using the gloves and shell mitts thing and had a real crappy time cause my glove would slip around underneath the mitt shell... Bad idea. For colder conditions I use an approach glove (I think the OR windstopper fleece glove), black diamond spindrift gloves for climbing, and black diamond mercury mitts for belays. Seems to work okay. cheeburga_ron.gif

ditch the leashes, go leashless.

as far as glover go- so called "climbing gloves" are the biggest rip off. a 100 bucks pair will work the same as 20 dollar pair from your local hardware store., so this is what i use:

for dry, not so cold (to mid teens) i use regular Atlas therma fit construction gloves. they are great for hard ice and dry-tooling, since they gripp really well. remember- a thick glove doesn't keep you warmer on the pitch anyway. i found that with the thinner gloves i can relax my forearm more and my blood circulation is much better.

last year i bought at mec gloves made by Auclair. they had 2 thickness of liners and they are very grippy and dexterity is really good too. the best is that on sale they were something like 13 canadian dollars.

for belaying i use in warmer conditions a pair of leather insulated gloves bought for $10 at your local hardware store and i also have a pair of mittens.

i also use hand warmers in my gloves. but in general cheap is good, don't buy any of the hype bullshit.

OK I've had enough, I like my BD ice- $100.00 gloves. My hands are never cold, and I hear everyone else say there hands don't get cold til your out climbing, and see them wimpering, when there hands start thawing out. Wear whatever you want, my hands won't be cold, and I don't care if yours are.

I got some of those new OR Alias gloves and they are awesome. They kept my hands warm for moderate temps (to high teens) and they are super sticky. They also bave minimally padded fingers and a funky gel underside thing. They are kinda expensive ($60), but I had some REI gift cards from christmas to spend. I also have some BD Ice gloves from last Christmas, and while warm, the dexterity isnt even close. I checked out some nice work gloves at Fred Meyer and the good insulated one were close to $40. For $20 difference it is close. Vs functional $10 gloves, it is harder to justify the fancy stuff. I would probably buy those if I wasnt a gear whore. I do think the ORs are better though.