Gas Powered Drill?

John Frieh

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our Mazama locals has a gas Ryobi that kicks ass on my Bosch Annialator. Downsides are that the hot muffler WILL burn your arm and MUST be kept away from the rope.

Up sides: It is very powerfull. With a new bit it will drill 20 holes on a pint. My Bosch takes two batteries for the same.

Long body so it makes for awkward drilling stances in an already awkward activity.

Big down side is that I have heard it is not made any longer so look for it in surplus tool stores.

Good luck,

Scott

I shot the shit with a dude at a hardwear store the other day... he recommended Tanaka. Anybody use them before?

I looked up Pionjar and the only model I could find is the 120 (do they make more than one Mo?) which weighs in at 57 lbs... bolt on lead cantfocus.gif

Bolts are one half my application purpose... my other interest would be continued route manufacturing on local bridge pilings.

So... gas powered drill with similar weight to a Bulldog?

I looked up Pionjar and the only model I could find is the 120 (do they make more than one Mo?) which weighs in at 57 lbs... bolt on lead cantfocus.gif

No, John, that's the one and only that I've ever seen; I was kinda messing with you. Just think how burly you'd be if you could put up something on lead with one of those mothers.

Unbeatable tool in their place, but being down in a hole with rock dust and and engine exhaust sucks.

No, John, that's the one and only that I've ever seen; I was kinda messing with you. Just think how burly you'd be if you could put up something on lead with one of those mothers.

Unbeatable tool in their place, but being down in a hole with rock dust and and engine exhaust sucks.

If I got one of those the Sellwood Bridge will fall down! yellaf.gif

The Sellwood Bridge, on a scale of 100, rates a 2 for its structural health. The bridge, the only river crossing between Portland and Oregon City, sees 30,000 vehicles each day, many belonging to commuters from Clackamas County. Strapped for cash, Multnomah County has looked across the river for help, but so far, Clackamas County commissioners have been cool to the idea.

Sgt Schultz on the gas rotohammer John. (I know notzing!)

If you want a big industrial cheap free one, it's yours for the taking still hanging on the side of Cerro Torre. 'Bout 4500-5000 feet of cold assed frozen granite-rime iced cutting biting winds though.

Might be a little tweaked after hangin there for the last 35 years, but it's evidently still there -garbage waiting to be hauled off.

Tanja-2.jpg

Good luck.

Nope, gas power is gonna weigh more. If you want to drill on the lead, go for battery power on a waist belt. If you're just gonna do the whack and dangle tango, anything goes. Scott's got a good point about the hot muffler issue, but running out of juice in the battery really sucks too.

The battery is dead on my cordless, so at the end of the season on my crag in the front yard we resorted to dragging the generator over and running the corded hilti. The big bonus was it also ran the small compressor: 120 psi and a blow gun do a great job of not only cleaning out the holes but blowing the dust off all the holds too. Of course, you're not gonna pack that rig into whatever projects you've got up your sleeve.

A little more background: plan to use this drill for route manufacturing on concrete structures (drilling features) as well as adding bolts. As this would be done on concrete structures I get the feeling no one is going to whine if I place lead bolts (as well as make the climbing features) on rappel.

My thoughts were I could drill a lot more holds/bolt holes with a gas drill and not have to constantly buy new batteries... hence my interest in petro power.

If I were hiking any major distance I would opt for a hand drill or a Bosch.

So... I'm thinking for my applications a few more pounds for a lot more holes and no dead batteries is fine with me. Looking at the Tanaka TED - 262HS for example the beast weighs in at 11.2 lbs dry. With a 17 ounce tank that mean 12.2ish lbs fully gassed. Compare that to a Bosch BULLDOG Xtreme 1" SDS-plus Rotary Hammer which weighs in at 6.7 lbs and I'd say the trade off is worth it.

Am I on the right track here? wazzup.gif

Just curious John, there are little generators that are smaller than some briefcases. Easy to carry, quite efficient, allow you to use a much lighter smaller drill on the wall. If you are developing concrete I would assume it is not that hard to access. Are you really commited to a gas drill?

• 8 months later...
I shot the shit with a dude at a hardwear store the other day... he recommended Tanaka. Anybody use them before?

Bolts are one half my application purpose... my other interest would be continued route manufacturing on local bridge pilings.

do not be drilling into bridge pilings, you fucking moron...