Men over X

archenemy

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another quotation from dear ol' Edsgar:

"The competent programmer is fully aware of the limited size of his own skull."

The relevance of this quote would be to the ability to visualize and simulate code inside your head. Just as phone numbers are seven digits because it's hard for us to remember more, there's only so much we can keep track of in our heads.

Green was a hack. Gauss pulled on gear...speaking of which:

COMPUTERS ARE AID.

Some mathematicians do believe computers are aid. I personally believe those mathematicians are old-fashioned.

Here's a great quote from a proof of the four-color theorem:

We should mention that both our programs use only integer arithmetic, and so we need not be concerned with round-off errors and similar dangers of floating point arithmetic. However, an argument can be made that our `proof' is not a proof in the traditional sense, because it contains steps that can never be verified by humans. In particular, we have not proved the correctness of the compiler we compiled our programs on, nor have we proved the infallibility of the hardware we ran our programs on. These have to be taken on faith, and are conceivably a source of error. However, from a practical point of view, the chance of a computer error that appears consistently in exactly the same way on all runs of our programs on all the compilers under all the operating systems that our programs run on is infinitesimally small compared to the chance of a human error during the same amount of case-checking. Apart from this hypothetical possibility of a computer consistently giving an incorrect answer, the rest of our proof can be verified in the same way as traditional mathematical proofs. We concede, however, that verifying a computer program is much more difficult than checking a mathematical proof of the same length.

Oh please, computer science and information systems are different. That's like saying that math and actuarial science are the same. My PhD work relies heavily on math and physics. I prefer the applied nature of CS -- that I can produce something useful -- which isn't necessarily true of math.

Here's a quote by the late great Edsger Dijkstra:

"Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied mathematics; the poorer mathematicians had better remain pure mathematicians."

Here's a quote from Betrand Russell (forgive me if I don't remember it exactly)

"We explain the universe in mathmatical terms because we don't yet know a more profound way to do so."

How hard can it be? You guys only have 2 digits; mathemeticiancs have 10.

The next time you go climbing, use two digits instead of ten. Let me know how hard it is.

Communication is easily effected with two digits.

the_finger.gif

i can effectively communicate with one digit. the_finger.gif

"Charol Shakeshaft, the author of the study and a professor of education at Hofstra University, said that even when the woman is not a teacher, the relationships are not healthy. 'A 16-year-old is just not fully developed," she said. 'Male brains tend to develop the part that can make decisions about whether it is a wise thing to do later.'"

BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

As if.

Here's a quote from Betrand Russell (forgive me if I don't remember it exactly)

"We explain the universe in mathmatical terms because we don't yet know a more profound way to do so."

That's a neat quote. During the first part of this century, a bunch of mathematicians and philosphers were struggling with concepts of math being inconsistent or incomplete, that there are things that math and science won't be able to do. I can only imagine how Russell felt when he discovered his simple paradox. That same line of thinking later led to some classic results in the theory of computation.

That's a neat quote. During the first part of this century, a bunch of mathematicians and philosphers were struggling with concepts of math being inconsistent or incomplete, that there are things that math and science won't be able to do. I can only imagine how Russell felt when he discovered his simple paradox. That same line of thinking later led to some classic results in the theory of computation.

11zern.jpg

QED. wink.gif

I once had a two-year stetch of dating only men shorter than me--that's just how it worked out. Big deal. Does that mean I'm not shallow? I doubt it.

Out of curiosity, any men here have ever dated a woman taller than they are?

My second girlfriend was this punk rock chick who older and taller than me.

I had friend pretty much only dated women that were taller than he, this was mainly by default since he was only 5' 1''. Even though he was a short pudgy italian with attitude, he still manage to go out with tall amazonia drop dead gorgeous women all the time. His reputation preceeded him and he became known as The Italian Pony.