Dream Job

EWolfe

A friend of mine just got a job as a Black Diamond Rep, and it got me thinking wat a great gig that is.

I had a hard time thinking of what my "dream job" would be.

I kind of think some non-profit would be high on the job satisfaction scale, but a lot of other elements come into play:

-open days off

-minimal work/maximum pay

-low stress

-active or passive?

Discuss.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent 4 summers on a forest service trail crew in the sierras. That was pretty awesome. The best parts:

-camping out for 9-day work weeks in the wilderness

-climbing after work

-flexible schedules (one tour we started at 2am to avoid the heat)

-companions (some of those after work parties were the best...something about knowing there's nobody around for miles)

-you are in awesome shape since you hike and work your ass off every single day chopping trees and moving granite, then usually climb and hike on your days off

-occassionally seeing some cute hiker ladies

-the best part: having the mountains as your office thumbs_up.gif

Similar, in some aspects to the USFS trail crew, I was on an Interagency Hotshot Crew for five fire seasons. Working in tight quarters with 19 other like-minded people. Working 14 days straight, 12-hour days, 16 average, then two days off at home...repeat for five months or so. Make a pretty good wage with about 1000hrs of overtime in that five month period, with no time to spend it. Then get 6-7 months off, paid by unemployment (for a hotshot crew = $500+/wk). Spend that time off travelling the world. Just about the time you run out of funds, its time to go back to work. Wouldnt trade those fire seasons/off seasons for anything. Pretty hard on the body though, so not many folks can do it forever.

I guided backpacking trips all summer. The clients paid for the food and cooked. All I did was walk, keep from getting too lost, find campsites 200 ft from water, and keep up some sort of banter. Plus I planned the trips so I could scope climbs and conditions. ... and the boss ran a pack string so he would take me and my gear way up in the mountains, and then pick me up some days later. It was so much fun that it felt like a scam.