glorious

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heh. At some point in my thesis, after bashing my head against a wall for quite some time, my advisor came out with "If I'd known this was going to be so hard, I wouldn't have set you off doing it". Small comfort from the man who already had his diploma and job in hand.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Get a hold on your life. I'm tired of your bitching.

Yeah I'm going to go with E on this.

Come on Gary, every person you meet has bs in their life. Why are you special? Get a different advisor, get a job and forget about grad school, or suck it up and take it.

those are the first three obvious options.

But please please please quit whining. wave.gif

Two years ago a project I was working on with my advisor fizzled out. My advisor contended that I gave up to early, and I contended that he led me down a wild goose chase.

This weekend, as a corollary to some other work I was doing, I proved that what we were trying to do was impossible. the_finger.gif

You should have done this two years ago, then.

Don't tell me your still under the impression that research is supposed to work, and do things like give you reasonable data , and makes sense are you? I know a pour sould who's in the fifth year of masters degree because he keeps hoping to get "good" data. Poor guy.

I finally just ignored the 3/5's of my data that I didn't like, and now it all makes perfect sense smile.gif

If you know how it's going to turn out, it isn't research. Dead ends are a valuable and inevitable part of grad school.

Oh yes. But the point here was that my advisor accused me two years ago of giving up too early, saying I could have found a way through had I persevered, and I just proved him wrong.

I don't know what's with all you fuckers saying that I'm whining -- I was bouncing up and down on cloud nine when I discovered this, and I was merely sharing my glee.

Oh yes. But the point here was that my advisor accused me two years ago of giving up too early, saying I could have found a way through had I persevered, and I just proved him wrong.

I don't know what's with all you fuckers saying that I'm whining -- I was bouncing up and down on cloud nine when I discovered this, and I was merely sharing my glee.

From one who knows: Crying Wolf.

A classic tidbit today:

(I sent my advisor some ideas an an email a few days ago.)

Him, interrupting my analysis of the Zuu matrices: But what if we could improve the stability by (idea that I sent him in email)?

Me: Yeah, that's a really good idea!

Wait for the real world when they patent it.

I saw a corollary of this is at a workshop once. My advisor was describing a problem he was going to work on to some grad student of a colleague. Toady Grad Student immediately bolted off to Worshipped Advisor describing how they could do this problem NOW, knowing full well that it would take my advisor a couple of month's work to start getting results. He didn't discuss research problems with anyone after that. Toady Grad Student is now chairman of the department at UC Berkeley.