Hey j_b/prole!

Fairweather

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah democracy is just so PESKY! Look at what the people will vote for , given the chance.

South America was so much better off when the US propped up the likes of Pinochet and Somoza etal.

You guys really show your true allegiance to the principles of democracy with your advocacy of a military overthrow of Chavez; hypocrites! (I suppose you are aware of your awkward position?)

This reminds me of the recent US supreme court decision that allows local governments to take land from individuals and give it private land developers so they can turn a profit. Only in this case its backwards.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

Yeah democracy is just so PESKY! Look at what the people will vote for , given the chance.

South America was so much better off when the US propped up the likes of Pinochet and Somoza etal.

You guys really show your true allegiance to the principles of democracy with your advocacy of a military overthrow of Chavez; hypocrites! (I suppose you are aware of your awkward position?)

Hitler was elected Chancellor through a democratic process.

Hitler was elected Chancellor through a democratic process.

Hitler was APPOINTED Chancellor in a shady backroom deal.

In November 1932, Fritz Thyssen, Hjalmar Schacht and other leading German businessmen appealed to Hindenburg in a letter to appoint Hitler as leader of a government "independent from parliamentary parties" which could turn into a movement that would "enrapture millions of people." [3] Finally, Papen and Alfred Hugenberg (Chairman of the German National People's Party, the DNVP, which before the Nazis had been Germany's principal right-wing party) conspired to persuade Hindenburg to appoint Hitler Chancellor in a coalition with the DNVP, promising they would be able to control him and stabilize the government. When Schleicher was forced to admit failure in his efforts to form a coalition and asked for emergency powers along with the same postponement of elections he had opposed earlier, Hindenburg fired him and reluctantly agreed to appoint Hitler Chancellor, Papen Vice-Chancellor and Hugenberg Minister of Economics in a cabinet which included three Nazis in key positions (Hitler, Göring and Wilhelm Frick). On the morning of January 30, 1933 in Hindenburg's office Adolf Hitler was sworn in as Chancellor during what some observers later described as a brief and indifferent ceremony.

Adolf Hitler greeting supporters from aboard a parade vehicle.After the Reichstag was set on fire (and the communists were blamed for it), the Reichstag Fire Decree (28 February) suspended basic rights including habeas corpus. On 5 March 1933, in elections marred by paramilitary violence, the Nazis received 43.9% of the vote, which brought the coalition between them and the DNVP an absolute majority. Hitler further strengthened his parliamentary basis by detaining Communist deputies and (illegally) excluding them from parliament.

At an impressive constitutional opening ceremony of the Reichstag, held in the replacement parliament building on 21 March, both Hindenburg and the world press were impressed by Hitler's apparent acceptance of constitutional government.

Hitler was APPOINTED Chancellor in a shady backroom deal.

His party won a plurality of votes in a democratic election.

The point is that calling an election democratic does not justify its results, the person elected, or the government when it morphs into something far from "democratic". Of course, that isn't obvious to you all in the case of Chavez, because your goal in life is to be contrarian in all matters of US foreign policy positions because you hate Bush: "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

moon.gifpitty.gif

1) The election in which the Nazis took 44% of the vote was not democratic, any more than recent elections in Zimbabwe are democratic.

It is hypocritical bullshit to claim the Nazis were not elected democratically and simultaneously claim Chavez was.

2) You claimed he was elected Chancellor. Not true. So instead of admitting you were wrong, you prevaricate.

You're playing semantic games. His party was elected with a plurality, and he followed democratic processes in Germany at that time to become chancellor. Now piss off, I have better things to do than waste my time on you. the_finger.gif

Independent election monitors, including a former US President, certified the Venezuela elections as conforming to democratic standards. this would not be the case for the 1930's German elections, in which the brownshirts were out in force, threatening and beating the Nazi's opponents.

The Nazis were not democratically elected with a majority, or a plurality. The DNVP was elected with a minority. The Nazis were their junior coalition partner. A conspiracy of German business leaders swung a deal to have Hitler appointed Chancellor. Hitler than ran a non-democratic "election" in which he still only took 44%, assumed power anyways and ruled as a dictator.

This reminds me of the recent US supreme court decision that allows local governments to take land from individuals and give it private land developers so they can turn a profit. Only in this case its backwards.

Except our government has to pay fair market value for the property. Pretty big difference.

Independent election monitors, including a former US President, certified the Venezuela elections as conforming to democratic standards. ....

Not completely true, Dru. EU election monitors refused to participate and returned home when it became apparent they would not be allowed proper access to polling places and counting stations. Sadly, our own Jimmy Carter sees Chavez through rose-colored glasses.