Really Great Books

EWolfe

Let's hear 'em.

We're talking top 5.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. Amazing book!

Others:

"The Immortal Class: Bike Messengers and the Cult of Human Power" Travis Hugh Culley

"The Four Agreements" Don Miguel Ruiz

The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity" Daniel P. Reid

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An excerpt for Dru (from Bryson's book):

"For animals that need never surface, obscurity may be even more tantalizing. Consider the fabled giant squid. Though nthing on the scale of the blue whale, it is a decidedly substantial animal, with eyes the size of soccer balls and trailing tentacles that can reach lengths of sixty feet. It weighs nearly a ton and is earth's largest invertebrate. I f you dump one in a normal household swimming pool, there wouldn't be much room for anything else. Yet no scientist-no person as far as we know-has ever seen a giant squid alive. Zoologists have devoted careers to trying to capture, or just glimpse living giant squid and have always failed. They are mostly known from being washed up on beaches-particularly, for unknown reasons, the beaches of the south island of New Zealand. They must exist in large numbers because they form a central part of the sperm whales diet, and sperm whales take a lot of feeding.*

*The indigestible parts of giant squid, in particular their beaks, accumulate in sperm whales' stomach into the substance known as ambergris, which is used as a fixative in perfumes. The next time you spray on Chanel #5 (assuming you do), you may wish to reflect that you are dousing yourself in distillate of unseen sea monster."

I forget the name of it, but in '79, while I was in a drunken stupor, I was reading a pretty good book in the Rock Springs, Wyoming jail. The title escapes me.

Rode to da jailhouse with the stripper that they busted for indecent exposure at the same juke joint I got arrested for public drunkeness, disturbing the peace (I said "fuck-you" to a cop), and resisting arrest (it took six fat-ass cops to put me on the hood of the patrol car because I laid the "drunken climber sock-monkey move" on 'em).

She was a nice girl.

An excerpt for Dru (from Bryson's book):

"For animals that need never surface, obscurity may be even more tantalizing. Consider the fabled giant squid. Though nthing on the scale of the blue whale, it is a decidedly substantial animal, with eyes the size of soccer balls and trailing tentacles that can reach lengths of sixty feet. It weighs nearly a ton and is earth's largest invertebrate. I f you dump one in a normal household swimming pool, there wouldn't be much room for anything else. Yet no scientist-no person as far as we know-has ever seen a giant squid alive. Zoologists have devoted careers to trying to capture, or just glimpse living giant squid and have always failed. They are mostly known from being washed up on beaches-particularly, for unknown reasons, the beaches of the south island of New Zealand. They must exist in large numbers because they form a central part of the sperm whales diet, and sperm whales take a lot of feeding.*

*The indigestible parts of giant squid, in particular their beaks, accumulate in sperm whales' stomach into the substance known as ambergris, which is used as a fixative in perfumes. The next time you spray on Chanel #5 (assuming you do), you may wish to reflect that you are dousing yourself in distillate of unseen sea monster."

Live giant squid have been seen and filmed now, and they do not get any longer than 45 feet Geek_em8.gif So your book is wrong, but don't let that stop you from loving it.

Some random great books:

Pale Fire, by Vladimir Nabokov

Pnin, by Nabokov

Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis

This Gun for Hire, by Graham Greene

...and? I just started Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace. It might make it onto a list like this, but I'll have to let you know in a month or two, or however long it takes me to read all 1,000+ pages.

Some random great books:

Pale Fire, by Vladimir Nabokov

Pnin, by Nabokov

Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis

This Gun for Hire, by Graham Greene

...and? I just started Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace. It might make it onto a list like this, but I'll have to let you know in a month or two, or however long it takes me to read all 1,000+ pages.

Another Nabakov fan!

I read Infinite Jest--twice. Great book.

My favs:

White Noise by Delillo

London Calling by Martin Amis

Don Quixote by Cervantes (unabridged version)

London Calling, on the other hand, is the Clash's 2nd best album.

interesting... what's the first?

christ rbw, you really read 'infinite jest' twice? And it couldn't have been while tentbound because the fucker's way too big to put in a pack...

christ rbw, you really read 'infinite jest' twice? And it couldn't have been while tentbound because the fucker's way too big to put in a pack...

Correct--I read it the first time right after it came out but it took me a long time. Its actually quite interesting and entertaining. The second time I read it was while vacationing in Croatia when I knew I would be lounging a long time on beaches and have time to devote to it in longer stretches.

I took Delillo's Underworld with me on my first trip to the Alaska range. Even paperback, that tome weighed me down. I had a hell of a time getting rid of it when I finished it.