pulling plastic surpasses real rock climbing in WA

shapp

According to the Interacengy Committee for Outdoor Recreation's latest comprehensive report on recreation in Washington State (October 2002) more than half of all rock climbing in Washington is done indoors! WTF. They need a new category now called plastic climbing cause indoor climbing aint rock climbing.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duh. Anyplace where it rains more often than not and people want to get their tuggin' fix, they're going to climb indoors. Not to mention, the convenience of the gym makes it possible to rack up indoor sesh hours after work or whenever, further upping climbing time on the plastique. It's a win-win situation, losers.

Gym climbing is just what it sounds like, a gym! A place for newbie’s like myself to gain a little strength, stamina, and most importantly confidence. It’s a gym, a work out, nothing more. And if helps me make a transfer to real rock in any way shape or form then its very beneficial.

haha. I go to the gym several days a week during lunch to work problems. There is a handful of other men in that come in daily also to 'boulder'. Whenever I mention my evening and weekend bouldering outings outdoors they have no reaction at all. Just a glazed over far away look of blankness. No questions, no curiosity, not even a hint that climbing outdoors on real rock would be of any interest or even be slightly related to what they are doing in the gym.

ultra-ghey.

like using the little emoticon smiley things.

actually, this is a good thing...it keeps the numbers down on real rock!!

True but on the flip side their introduction to climbing is in an environment where excess chalk use, tick marks, pink pointing, and so on are accepted... and some times encouraged.

Face climbing isn't crack climbing, granite isn't sandstone and indoor isn't outdoor; it seems pretty obvious. Besides Stone Gardens does have an outdoor climbing area. Is the UW rock real? Does it even matter?

yes--"gym" climbing being indoors or "out" is different than going out and climbing actual rock. even if we're just talking about cragging.

i'm sure that i'm not the only one that's seen some "straight from the gym" near catastrophes at our local crags.

i'm sure that i'm not the only one that's seen some "straight from the gym" near catastrophes at our local crags.
There is your downside, but it can be remedied through training and education.

The nice thing about gyms is that if they get crowded, you can build another gym. The supply can always increase to meet demand. Not so with outdoor crags, unfortunately.

It's unfortunate that man-made outdoor crags are so expensive to build.