SOmeone hurt in leavenworth?

freak

I think it boils down to individuals rather than an entire organization. If the "leader" of a group from any organization is a prick then the assumption is that the whole organization are pricks. I believe it's called stereotyping and yeah I've been guilty of it specifically against the mountaineers.

I'm with Fred. I think there are just more people getting out and climbing is a dangerous sport. I've been climbing for about 9 years now and that was the first major accident I've been witness to. I've been lucky. Glad to see you guys are relieved she's ok.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: What do The Mountaineers have in common with Oscar Meyer weiners?

A: You only find them in packs of eight, sixteen, twenty-four, thirty-two, forty, forty-eight, fifty-six, sixty-four, seventy-two, eighty ...

[This message has been edited by Retrosaurus (edited 05-08-2001).]

not sure how everyone figures that a self taught climber is dangerous or ill equipped to deal witht he rigors of climbing. all of my tight friends/partners are self taught we all taught each other. then again we have never stopped leaning the art of rock craft. as self taught climbers, we have 1st ascent in alaska, many, many walls, .12 sport and .11 trad and hard ice. we are alos self taught kayakers, skiers and any other sport you could want to try. some poeple have the desire and not the money. i think fred said that he had heard customers of a mtneering school whining about the climb. that just shows the different motivation levels and the different types of deisre to climb and to climb for fun. i think the biggest thing that people lose about climbing is the fun. i can illustrate this through yesterday. we climbed at little si in the earlier part of the day, most of the people we met at the crag, had some sort of attitude or chip on the thier shoulder. overall they were not forthcoming friendly. some even seemed not to want ot be there!? in the afternoon we went and ran mt si. every person we met on the trail said "hi" and they all seemed to be enjoying what they were doing. where is the fun!

regardless i don't really care where the mtneers are. if you don't like them sack it up and move off the easier routes where it is obvious where the mtneers practice their skills. so in the end. self taught climbers can be safe and climb hard. and mtneers have the right to climb as well. (truthfully it is not a right but a privlage, but never mind that)

so just go have FUN!

i also hope that whom ever was injured is okay.

[This message has been edited by erik (edited 05-08-2001).]

Hey Cpt,

The reason that they wouldn't let your bud share their campsite is that they didn't want any extra competition for the tent-hopping event later that night. It's not their fault, they have just been watching too much "Survivor" on TV and your bud was voted out of their tribe.

Mountaineer bashing is so easy to do....Can't we all just get along?

If your heading to the icicle on a sat or sun that's what ya get. (lots of people)

But mountaineers need to learn: go midweek with your giganto groups, learn climbing ettiqute(don't hog climbs, make efforts to let other get a chance) and remember the climbers who you may be turning your noses to, are the ones who will(or might) rescue you!(that goes for everybody and even rhymes!)

Find someone that gets the newsletter "go Guide, the Mountaineers" (I think, or get one at the club DT) and see what they are up to. On some more popular climbs I plan around it. I don't know of a web site, but I bet there is one. I respect the club, but after several run ins I keep away from them. There always is a leader who doesn't know the big picture.

I heard a little rumour that there will be an army of about 200 Mountaineers at Ingalls Peak on June 3rd (I think that's the right date). If it's true, don't plan on parking at the parking lot or climbing anything around the south side of Stuart that weekend because the whole area will be overrun.

I dont agree with mass produceing climbers. as far as camping goes, that was me in the pullout, I came in very late and left in the morning, just slept in my car, and bailed. Sorry I dident know that was bad karma.

ALso i have a question regarding access to the rat creek boulder, is that a go? I was up there lookin the other way when passing the (no tresspassing) sighns, a friend told me that it was writen into the lease of the property that the owner's had to allow access to that boulder. Can any one verify this? nick