Murders Orchestrated For The Camera.

Peter_Puget

The actual Pulitzer Prize for news photography goes to the "Associated Press Staff for its stunning series of photographs of bloody yearlong combat inside Iraqi cities." One of these stunning photographs shows the Blackwater contractors strung up on the Fallujah bridge; another is the famous execution on Haifa Street. There are no pictures of the Iraqi elections.

Since news by definition shows the truth, one would expect the insurgency so lovingly depicted in these AP photos to have triumphed. But since that never happened and prospects grow dimmer by the day, the Pulitzer should be awarded instead for Poetry, since according to the Greeks history is reserved for things as they are but poetry may deal with things as they should be.

The award of the Pulitzer to this disgusting series of photographs should be welcomed by posterity. Fifty years hence people can look back at the work of people who called themselves journalists and judge.

The photographs themselves are available at the Pulitzer website.

thumbs_down.gif

Edited by Peter_Puget

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both incidents I have mentioned are almost certainly events “orchestrated” with the willing participation of the AP. The AP is not merely an observer of events but actively participating in them. In the context of the Pulitzer prize such considerations are of great importance. I should strive to be clearer in my posts as you did not understand the point of my post from the title or understand the background of the incidents referenced.

Having relatives killed in war and wounded in war, I am fairly certain “the price paid”is far greater than any individual death so the answer is no they do not represent to price of war. In any event these incidents were orchestrated media events. Are they the price of a "free" press? Is the price worth it?

Both incidents I have mentioned are almost certainly events “orchestrated” with the willing participation of the AP. The AP is not merely an observer of events but actively participating in them.

I assume then that you have proof to back up your allegations of murder for hire by the Associated Press?

Both incidents I have mentioned are almost certainly events “orchestrated” with the willing participation of the AP. The AP is not merely an observer of events but actively participating in them.

I assume then that you have proof to back up your allegations of murder for hire by the Associated Press?

Ratboy - I never said that the AP organized and paid for the murder of anyone. I invite you to research both incidents yourself.

Personally I'd consider the American press nearly the 5th branch of the US military. How rarely do we see ANY evidence on the killing going on over there? You can be sure to see the sterile pictures of tomahawks streaming off the decks of ships safely in the Indian ocean. Or but take one picture of flag draped coffins and all hell breaks loose. We're we to have a free press I can assure you, there would be many more images of the killing going on. An I for one would welcome it!

Congratulations are in order for Pulitzer. One of the few organizations to reward courageous journalism.

Ratboy - I never said that the AP organized and paid for the murder of anyone. I invite you to research both incidents yourself.

You are correct, the phrase "murder for hire" was an incorrect characterization. I apologize for that. But your charges are still grave. Are you saying that the AP had foreknowledge of these acts, or that they worked in tandem with the insurgents to manufacture these events, including the murders -- above just reporting what has already happened? Because that's what it sounds like you are saying, and I'd say that needs to be backed up with actual proof.

Perhaps because the elections took place in 2005, not 2004.

The elections constitute a broad category which encompassing an entire process. The majority of this process occurred in 2004 and it should be noted did require the casting of many votes in 2004.

Congratulations are in order for Pulitzer. One of the few organizations to reward courageous journalism.

Your choice of the word "courageous" odd given that photographer for the excution shot was in fact an Iraqi most likely working in line with the desires of the resistance. cantfocus.gif

Both incidents I have mentioned are almost certainly events “orchestrated” with the willing participation of the AP. Is the price worth it?

By this definition then the lead up propaganda to the war (remember WMDs?) fits the category. And no, it's not worth it.

Are those photographs not true? Did those things not happen? Are war and death not disgusting?

Anyone who reads the entire history of Iraq War II in 2004's Pulitzer photographs, or assumes that everyone in the future will, is acting like a self-serving idiot.

"Since news by definition shows the truth,..."

I would argue that photographs show the truth (unless you are arguing that they were retouched in some way). You certainly cannot argue that some individuals depicted were not slain, or that some other individuals in the photo seem to be quite delighted with that fact.

What news cannot control is what inference the reader draws from the image. You feel that the only conclusion to be drawn from the photographs is that the Iraqi insurgents have triumphed and that the AP somehow has used the photographs to promote that conclusion. I don't feel that way at all. Perhaps this simply demonstrates that you haven't communicated your message very well and you intended something else altogether.

I think the pictures are good journalism in that they convey (to me) the horror of the situation graphically. Of course, others might not see the picture as horrific, and that is the reason they are good journalism, they make the viewer confront their own views of "reality".

The dramatic picture of the Marines raising the flag on Guadacanal during WW2 was staged as well. (after the photog missed the first flag raising. )

The facts remains: we took Guadacanal and both sides paid a heavy price. The Japanese paid the heaviest, but in the end, the real US flag was really flying over that piece of blood stained black sand.

What's your point Peter?

I heard APs directory of photography interviewed on NPR yesterday. He claims that many of the photos, including the ones of burned corpses, were shot by Iraqi photographers. The AP hired Iraqis, beacuse the security situation fell apart and western journalists were being killed. He also alleged that the Iraqi photographes put ther own lives on the line to get these shots and that they were physically thretened and had to flee the scene of many of these photos once the mobs relized what they were doing.

I heard APs directory of photography interviewed on NPR yesterday. He claims that many of the photos, including the ones of burned corpses, were shot by Iraqi photographers. The AP hired Iraqis, beacuse the security situation fell apart and western journalists were being killed. He also alleged that the Iraqi photographes put ther own lives on the line to get these shots and that they were physically thretened and had to flee the scene of many of these photos once the mobs relized what they were doing.

Here is from of all places the Guardian: "But the absence of western reporters has raised questions over the ability of major news organisations to accurately report "

Check out this link: link

Just how many western reporters were kiled? IN what manner? Obvious blanks.

AP hired? Are stringers hired? Aren't they independent contractors selling to the highest bidder? Imagine a barker shouting out: "Come here for photos of death! Increased circulation warranted! Do I hear $5? Do I hear $10....going once...going twice..."

Sloth as usual makes personal attacks but as I suggested earlier read about the incidents I mentioned. Come to your own conclusions. Note that photos of the two incidents I cite are on the award site.

@Billcoe -

If you are equating reenacting the raising of the flag with journalists willingly going to a staged event in which people are to killed and their bodies desecrated for the medias willing flashbulbs, I give up.

Staging a photo op is staging a photo op. They are both propaganda.

Since you made the accusation that the photographer was 'most likely' working for the insurgency I invite YOU to post some evidence. Seriously. Its not up to me or anyone else here to back up your assertions.

Well Peter, I would hope that you could find consolation, peace and solice, in the fact that the Willamette Week, a small Oregon weekly, won a Pulitzer Prize for confirming that a certain former Oregon Governer had his penis in a girl who was repeatedly under 15 years old.

Talk about keeping your pimp hand stong! cool.gif

I heard the same report that Winter did. The AP hired and trained a number of Iraqies as photographers. The photographers did take a lot of risks getting the photos that are part of the prize. They were not random people hawking pictures of death to the AP.