Murders Orchestrated For The Camera.

Peter_Puget

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just don't buy the "outrage" over this. Sounds like another right wing mis-direct, paint the mainstream media as the "liberal media", evade the harder questions.

Where is the outrage over the Pentagon's Office of Special Plans and their selective use of (faulty) intelligence to sell the war? Where is the outrage that the same OSP had made little if any plans for the occupation? Gee, does it show? Ya think?

Where is the outrage that the CPA cannot account for BILLIONS of dollars allocated for reconstruction? WTF? I work for DOD and we get questioned over $10.

Where is the outrage that in spite of legislation designed to protect servicemen and their familes, financial institutions are illegally foreclosing on their mortgages while they are on the battlefield?

Where is the outrage the returning Guardsmen and reservists are not having their "regular" employers uphold their employment rights?

Where is the outrage over Chalabi and his shenanigans?

Where is the outrage over turning the Shaivo case into politcal theatre on a pre-meditated basis (yes Sen. Martinez, everyone knows you let a staffer take the fall you lying sack of anal refuse)

Where is the outrage that Dems Biden and Lieberman voted for cloture on the Bankruptcy bill, then had the fucking gall to vote against the actual bill, telling their constituents "see, we look out for you, we voted against the bill". Do they think we are that stupid? Fuck you Joe "MBNA" Biden, Sen from Delaware home of a plethora of credit card companies.

Where is the outrage that the only govt official with balls enough to put an accurate number on the cost of the Iraq clusterfuck, was fired for his candor. And guess what...he was DEAD ON THE MARK with his $200B estimate.

Where is the outrage that a President decries the future solvency problems with SS, but centers the debate on an issue that does nothing to address the solvency problem, refuses to put forth any concrete plan, then chastises the opposition for not putting up a counter plan (kinda hard when there is no plan to counter!)

Where is the outrage when the SS road-show is spending taxpayer money to push a political agenda, excluding the general public or anyone who opposes the President's "kinda plan" from these so-called "town hall" meetings?

Where is the outrage when the House Majority Leader has half his cronies under indictment, repeated ethics violations, and attempts to CHANGE THE RULES so he won't get reprimanded?

Where is the outrage when Bush makes commitments and takes positions on issues during the campaigns, yet fails to live up to them? EPA CO2 regulation being the latest example.

Where is the outrage when our AG supprted indefinitely detaining US CITIZENS without access to the courts or due process?

Where is the outrage when the Dems complain about the repercussions of the Iraq clustefuck, yet they voted almost wholly in favor of the resolution authorizing it?

The AP pays their stringers you say? Egads, what a concept. The local photog got tipped to a murder and "cooperated" by being there to record it? Sure he did. Is it a national crisis? Hardly. Eye on the ball people.

But wait...there's more. From CNN via the AP:

"BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A CBS stringer has been arrested as a suspected insurgent, U.S. military officials said Friday.

The video cameraman was wounded during a firefight in northeastern Mosul between U.S. troops and insurgents Tuesday.

U.S. military officials said the man's camera held footage of a number of roadside bomb attacks against American troops, and they believe he was tipped off to those attacks.

A U.S. military statement said troops believe the man "poses an imperative threat to coalition forces" and that he "will be processed as any other security detainee."

There was no immediate comment from CBS.

One official said at least four videos in the man's camera show roadside bomb attacks on U.S. troops.

All had been shot in a manner that suggested the cameraman had prior knowledge of the attacks and had scouted a shooting location in sight of the target.

"The individual in question was carrying press credentials from CBS News. Military officials detained this individual and are conducting an investigation into his previous activities as well as his alleged support of anti-Iraqi insurgency activities," a U.S. military statement said Friday.

The U.S. military has said that the cameraman was shot by soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment after it appeared to them he had a weapon.

The U.S. military said the shooting occurred amid the chaos of a suicide bombing and that the cameraman was standing next to an armed insurgent at the time.

U.S. troops have been fighting insurgents in Mosul almost daily.

Execution-style shootings

Meanwhile, the bodies of 10 civilians shot to death execution-style have been found near Baquba in northern Iraq, a hospital official said Friday.

They were found Thursday inside black body bags in Balad Rooz, about 60 kilometers (37 miles) east of Baquba in Diyala province.

Iraqi soldiers took the bodies to a hospital morgue late Thursday.

Iraqi security forces are investigating the shootings, the doctor said.

In other violence, an Iraqi police officer was killed in Baghdad and a U.S. Marine died in Falluja.

That death brings to 1,544 the number of U.S. troops who have died in the Iraq war."

And why don't you answer RBW's question about your service history?
How is it relevant? Does one's service record, or lack of, exclude them from the arena of ideas?

Its relevant in measuring your integrity. You do a lot of patriotic chestbeating on here and I am just curious whether you stepped up and made the sacrifices to back up that chestbeating. Its easy to sit there in the comfort of your home, writing about how you support the administration's war efforts, how you think its badass to shoot a prisoner who is bound in the head at point blank range, etc., but far from pulling the trigger.

So, what branch did you serve in sport?

The New York Times is running a story on the execution on Haifa Street. Reporter Mark Glassman has commented:

... the AP director of photography told him the photographer was 50 meters from the scene of the assassination; the AP has asserted elsewhere in this April 6 Editor & Publisher story that the photographer was 300 meters from the murders. I didn't go back but Didn't J_B refer to this story? ... In correspondence that we have not posted on the site, we sought the expert opinion of the prominent former New York Times photographer D. Gorton regarding the photograph. Mr. Gorton's analysis of the photo is consistent with our comments regarding the photo on the site and with our interpretation of the quoted AP statements.

Gorton concluded that:

The event appears to have been unfolding for some time, since the kneeling man and prone man are still and have assumed positions that I presume they were ordered to take. ... The photographer is elevated ... I would estimate the distance between 15 and 25 meters. The distance would be the same if the lens were "normal" but an enlargement of the print had occurred. This may be a "blow up," in other words. ... So, the assassination picture has all the earmarks of a planned image, indicating that the photographer had taken most of the considerations that I have written about above.

Gorton was later shown an uncropped image of the photograph. He said:

There is nothing about this alternate version that would trouble my initial analysis. ... Viewed in this light, I believe that collusion between the terrorists and the news media is quite possible. It certainly happened in the US. Why would Iraq be different? The photo appeared to portray an insurgency that "controlled the streets" of Baghdad, where the insurgents could kill with impunity. In a similar vein, many of the Southern lynching photos that we have studied give a similar message. Their purpose, in part, was to dispirit and undermine attempts to ensure equal rights in the US South, along with terrorizing African Americans and their allies. It is profoundly ironic that the lynched men in the AP photo were voter registration/election workers. It recalls to me and my wife our work in the Southern civil rights movement.

I would remind those obscurantists among us that this thread was begun in repsonse to the completely bogus award given the AP.

Events unfold....

While in your local Starbucks buy tomorrows issue.

bigdrink.gif

LOL J_B you crack me up! You are truly amazing. I can just hear you in the morning.. I will walk in line..I will walk in line....

or maybe it's more like this:

"That Manson fellow and those nice hippes say they know nothing about the murders. Now we're all out of clues." frown.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

Edited by Peter_Puget

I have no shame at all. I would point out that even your old fav the Guardian has concerns of the quality of the reporting using local iraqi stringers. I would point out the CBS stringer just arrested. I would point out the the NYT is printing a story about these pictures.

Me thinkest tho dost protest too much. Or something like that.

I have no shame at all.

should i be surprised? nothing stands in the way of politics, right?

I would point out that even your old fav the Guardian has concerns of the quality of the reporting using local iraqi stringers. I would point out the CBS stringer just arrested. I would point out the the NYT is printing a story about these pictures.

is this the evidence? rolleyes.gif you understand what evidence means, right?

Me thinkest tho dost protest too much. Or something like that.

what i protest is your weak attempts at smearing whichever reporter isn't embedded. i won't even bother discussing your obvious double standard according to which reporters are supposed to report only the propaganda that suits your politics (and now a little "shock and awe" for the world to see)