sucky covers of songs

HappyCamper

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fern, if you'd just get a little older and develop CRS you wouldn't mind (or notice) thread recycling.

It was on This American Life where I heard The Dishes do a great cover of the Nanny Song from Mary Poppins. I think that show is my favorite thing on the radio these days...

ditto the Manfred Mann crime against nature, but rod Stewart mangling Waits' "Downtown Train" holds a special place in hell for the money-grabbing no-talent ass-clowns of his ilk.

I always liked Living Colour's cover of Talking Heads' "Desperate People" and "Love and Happiness". Hell, they could make Itsy Bitsy Spider rawk...

Kurt, April Wine did King Crimson? Is it possible to hurl retroactively?

awesome covers:

Bob Dylan songs done by chick singers...

about a week ago on KEXP, heard some like alt-rock-ish (?) white girl singer doing "Buckets of Rain"

also, about ten minutes ago on KPLU, heard a young black (?) siren doing "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go"

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

wish i'd caught their names.

lameass covers:

Jane's Addiction doing the Grateful Dead's "Ripple".

thumbs_down.gif

How 'bout, if anyone listened to This American Life this evening, that song in one of the stories, who was it? Some woman from the '80s Covering "The Itsy Bitsy Spider"? yellaf.gif Totally brain-bendingly bad. Shatner's got some competition there on the stylistic tip, and a definite beating on choice of content.

Is it really a cover if the song is traditional? Versions of The Itsy Bitsy Spider are found in cultures throughout the world and are not attributable to any one author/composer.

Dave Mathews, Van Halen's and Dolly Parton's version of Stairway to Heaven. I can tolerate them, but there was but one real Stairway, and you know what I'm talking about.

"No Stairway....Denied": Waynes World

How 'bout, if anyone listened to This American Life this evening, that song in one of the stories, who was it? Some woman from the '80s Covering "The Itsy Bitsy Spider"? yellaf.gif Totally brain-bendingly bad. Shatner's got some competition there on the stylistic tip, and a definite beating on choice of content.

Is it really a cover if the song is traditional? Versions of The Itsy Bitsy Spider are found in cultures throughout the world and are not attributable to any one author/composer.

Well, it's not really relevant to the fact that it was a nauseatingly bad rendition of the song, but if you wanna split hairs, then sure, it's probably not technically a cover. Whoever it was, though, didn't write the song, so from that standpoint, it fits under the cover umbrella.

Sheesh.. rolleyes.gif

Well, it's not really relevant to the fact that it was a nauseatingly bad rendition of the song, but if you wanna split hairs, then sure, it's probably not technically a cover. Whoever it was, though, didn't write the song, so from that standpoint, it fits under the cover umbrella.

Sheesh.. rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings?

I was just curious if a known originator was necessary for a song to be a true cover.

Whoever it was, didn't write the song, so from that standpoint, it fits under the cover umbrella.

Works for me.

311's cover of Love Song by The Cure.

good song - wrong band to cover it.

New Found Glory cover of Brian Adams (Everything I do) I do it for you.

Kick ass band covering a shitty song from an shitty original artist.

Ministry covering Dylans "Lay Lady Lay"

Rockin' band covering a rockin' tune