sick of this feminist bullshit

glassgowkiss

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you can wear polypro. just don't layer with shorts.

So, if you are coming off a glacier climb with a base layer, climbing pants, and shell pants, and still have a 5 mile hike to the TH, and its about 30 degrees warmer than when you started for the summit, you prefer to drop trou', peel off your long underwear, pull on a pair of regular underwear, and put your climbing pants back on - and then finally zip off the legs to simply doing the latter? All this to avoid some kind of climber fashion faux pas? Now THAT'S something I'd expect from a chick... rolleyes.gif

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

All this to avoid some kind of climber fashion faux pas? Now THAT'S something I'd expect from a chick...

Only men would be dumb enough to suffer schweaty balls for 5 miles rather than appear too "girly" and slow their compadres down with a quick break to shed some layers. rolleyes.gif

...ok...so explain the women's climbing technique classes!

yelrotflmao.gif

Is there some sort of technique required of women that is differnent than men??? yelrotflmao.gif

YES! Absolutely. I can explain more later if you like. I gotta run for now, tho.

bigdrink.gif

you've got to be kidding me??? All the women i climb with climb the same way i do, only better! Seriously...

Thats exactly it Rumr! All the women you climb with climb the same way YOU do. Men and women both have "strengths". men tend to (in general, but not absolute) use their physical strength to help them climb. Women (in general, not absolute) tend to have better balance which can be more efficient for them than focusing on their arm strength. I will try to find a link to this video I watched recently. First a woman, then a man climbing the same .12/13. The difference in how they climbed was blatently obvious. Neither of them climbed wrong. They just climbed using the strengths they posess as a male or female.

(ie.the male did pull ups all the way to the top. The female, flagged, flagged, flagged...used her hips rather than her arms to pull up- a more specific technique for women, backsteps, and heelhooks).

About a year ago I was with you a 100% on your above statements. After climbing with some kick ass female climbers, I have seen the difference.

I still climb like a guy. Not a good one, either, just a real mediocre guy.

I did, however, recently see the light in terms of skiing. It wasn't from lessons (can't always find good female instructors), actually it was a complete fluke. I pulled a muscle in one of my hips very early in the ski season, and that injury, coupled with brand-new Rando gear, forced me to ski more "womanly." I really had to rely on grace and balance because of the injury and the touchy gear, and man oh man, after something like 30 seasons of skiing mostly like a guy, all of a sudden it was a whole new me on the slopes. What an improvement. I only hope some day I learn the same in climbing.

I know this is total thread drift, but this is not a half bad topic. I would say that for sports like climbing and skiing, it would be great to see instruction geared toward refining technique to optimize use of feminine assets like balance and flexibility. thumbs_up.gif

this has been great fun, but now i'm tired out. but i'm still gonna layer shorts over my polypro. i'll be that guy on the trail. please point and laugh.

Have you ever tried this? It is flexible, and quite fun! It feels fantastic to fluant the societal norms as laid down by your particular social group. But don't be caught dead without your name on a piece of tape on the front of your helmet. You might want to change your underwear too.

i just want to ask any of the women/girls/females in the audience this: how many of you personally have felt that a guy wouldn't climb with you b/c you were female? this assumes you were going to be climbing that you had the physical skills to climb. If some guy says "hey i'm looking for a 5.11 partner today and you don't climb 5.11 you can't claim discimination you can only claim lack of skill.

I have on a number of occasions run into guys who wouldn't climb with me because their wife/gf didn't want them climbing with women, even if it was a glacier slog with a number of other men along. I have only once run into someone who actually came out and said he wouldn't accept a belay from a woman because "Chicks, they always droppin' you."

What I run into a lot is the assumption that the guy I'm climbing with must be my boyfriend, must be the reason I got into climbing in the first place, must have led all the hard pitches. I don't really give a crap about that though. People can think what they want, it doesn't make any difference to my climbing.

In climbing, like in everything, sometimes being a chick works for you and sometimes against you. I could sit around and bitch about the times it works against me, but I prefer to enjoy the times it works for me.

ok as usual the topic drifted waaaay away from what i was saying. it wasn't about gender differances or other shit like that. my point was that this woman in particuar writes a book about the events that took place many years ago. first of all there is nothing more you can write on this topic, since people involved are dead. so there is no chance to obtain information first hand and charachters involved can answer to any of it. it's an analysis of an analysis. and to play is safe she wraps it into a nice "feminist package"- so nobody can critique her- that's all i'm saying and that's what i call bullshit. a little fucking honesty can go a long way.

there were at least a dozen books written on this subject. on the other hand why not write about some female climber, who is still alive and does high altitude climbing? hey, maybe because she could not write a bunch of hyped up bullshit and make money off it. or maybe because it's much easier to be called on your bullshit by people who are alive? like i said - a little honesty please....

So why is the name of this thread "Sick of This Feminist Bullshit," and not "That damn Jennifer Jeffries, Talking about Dead People and Shit." confused.gif

I think he spends more time on Ascensionist these days Jay, you just haven't been holding the conservative banner up in an inflammatory manner lately, you prick.

While that last bit may have been totally uncalled for, I just wanted to illustrate your point. yellaf.gif

Spray ecology. The political symbiosis has been broken.