Most useful/useless items on remote climb

luwayo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoping it's not so horribly obvious as to not need mentioning but something else comes to mind. that is, if you're relying on air travel out you should plan a little for that being delayed hellno3d.gif or, if you're extremely unlucky, impossible cry.gif...you should have enough food for a pretty good wait and/or a plan to hoof it if necessary.

5. a small mirror to reflect sunlight at the rescue

A good compass with a mirror will provide that. I wish someone at Suunto or Silvia or wherever thought about putting an aiming slot in the compass mirror, but you don't have to be 100% precise to attract attention.

drC

Coleman two-burner

Lots of candy (mike&ikes are good!, hard candies)

Weed

Liquor

music

crazy creek chair

me!

waterproof duffle or a tarp for covering all your schtuff outside the tent

sense of humor

handiwipes

books (novels and activity books like crosswords)

camera with lots of film/digi memory/batteries

powdered miso soup from trader joes

portable music with little external speakers (sound sux, but rockband.gif)

laptop with cellular/satellite internet for remote spraying

satellite phone

lots of maps ("what's that peak way over there?")

the book you take should be long and not very good.

Mitchner books fit the bill perfectly. I read "Alaska" while tent-bound in Alaska this past summer. When I was halfway through it's 1000 page girth, I tore it in half and gave the front half to my poor partner who had only brought a measley 200 page tome.

... Also I'd second the handiwipes. It's amazing how clean you can feel just by getting your hands clean.

Hands? moon.gif

And last but not least, sandals or clogs for camp.

Sandals or clogs on a glacier? cantfocus.gif maybe a pair of cozy sorels or down bootys.

Nobody has mentioned the Solar Shower, either. nothin' like a hot shower ! even if you gotta melt the water and warm it on a stove...worth it.

Heavy duty BLACK garbage bags to throw snow in and melt when the sun is cranking.

5. a small mirror to reflect sunlight at the rescue

A good compass with a mirror will provide that. I wish someone at Suunto or Silvia or wherever thought about putting an aiming slot in the compass mirror, but you don't have to be 100% precise to attract attention.

drC

Evolution already created it... it's called the hand. Hold the compass/mirror in one hand and aim it in the general direction of the object you're signaling to. Hold up your other hand at full arm's length, with your index and middle fingers extended in a "V", or peace sign gesture. Sight the object with the peace sign hand, putting the object anywhere within the triangle formed by your fingers (but centered as much as possible is of course best), and then adjust the sunlight hitting the mirror to land on your peace sign fingers. Those in the chopper/plane/OP will see the flash, and you are assured that the beam is traveling along your line of sight to the object.

Also, if you're signalling to a moving object, track the object with your peace sign and mirror. A (nearly) steady, bright light rising from the surface and beaming right at a pilot attracts a lot more attention than an errant flash now and then. Those airborne searchers see a lot of intermittent flashes as they cover a search grid. A steady light will have them homing right in on you, precisely because it is unnatural in the outdoors to see that.

If you're on a Denali type climb or something similar whre you will be flown in and flown out, it's not a bad idea to Cache a couple books at your pick-up and drop-off point along with extra food. This way if you get down and have to sit for three or four days waiting for the weather to clear, you'll have something fresh to read that you didn't haul up the mountain.

Jason

Book buying tip for remote climbs. Go into a thrift store and buy the thickest book you can find on sale for a dollar. Usually this will be a romance novel or some L Ron Hubbard Scientology-fiction dreck. If lucky you might find Sidney Sheldon, or Danielle Steele. The ultimate page value is the unabridged author's preferred version of "The Stand" by Steven King which is like 1,500 pages long blush.gif

You will need a headlamp in April & early May. The AAA led's work fine except for serious route finding. BD Zenix IQ uses 2 AA's which allows you to use Lithiums, which work better in the cold.

In late April it's dark at 11pm or 11:30pm and still does not start to get light until 5am. Even the 1st week in May is dark around 4am.

Jedi

432104-BearsTooth.jpg.a6228cf34d86192c077273aed79dc2f8.jpg

Bring:

1 - Digital camera as navigation aid: shoot when weather and angle are good, refer to image (digi zoom very helpful) when you're in the thick of it and aren't sure which dihedral/gully leads where. Also useful for future extortion of partners.

2 - Coin for making important strategic decisions.

3 - Knife for cutting rope if traveling with Joe Simpson.

4 - Beano for your partner.

5 - Aluminum foil instead of pot lid and heat xchanger.

6 - Your satellite crackberry to link to CC when things get dull.

Lindt or Droste chocolate are one of my 11 essentials

as for reading material, i've tried bringing along taoist literature in the hopes it would take my mind off whichever immature, needy or high maintenance primadona is spreading their joy....but it doesn't work. so next time, low grade smut it shall be ! blush.gif

Edited by luwayo