Orange Marine Marker Paint

Tyrone_Shoes

Some of you may have noticed the use of the bright orange Circle/Arrow paint marking on many of the belay stations, and summits on Mt Slesse, Rexford, and Cdn Border Peak. This is a newer European technique. Why is there no talk of these markings on your mountains. I would think this would be very unappealing to the masses of Western Climbers. [hell no]

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint is no good. I go to the mountains to get away from people and take in the beauty. Spray paint doesn't belong on rocks on the top of a mountain. A little checking around and you will figure out how to get down. What next, painted arrows showing you where the route goes and how to get to the top?

Tyrone, if you are headin up to the nesakwatch spires are you planning on sprayin the routes up there as much as you spray on this site? if so, put a little of that napalm in the faces of the people who think they own these places. heads up for the razor wire and lots of big talk

I did not spray any paint on any routes! I just wanted to bring light to the fact that this is happening and knowbody was talking about it. I thought it was interesting how I want to bolt a few popular routes to allow access to a wider variety of climbers but knowbody cares about orange paint.

I'm not against it completly as it clearly designates effective belay areas but I had nothing to do with ANY PAINTING !

Tyrone may be a troll fisherman, but I HAVE seen painted stones in cairns and painted lines on slabs in New Hampshire, painted circles denoting fixed pins on a hut approach in British Columbia, painted route numbers on crags in Ontario and France, and painted route markers in Germany. I've never fealt the urge to spraypaint any mountain or crag, but when I visited Germany some years ago I heard a story of a guy climbing the east face of the Watzmann and painting red dots along the route -- somebody else climbed behind him with the grey paint, covering the dots. Anybody know if the guy with the red paint went back and repeated his marking? Maybe this is the Euro version of bolt wars.

quote:

Originally posted by Jake:

Paint is no good. I go to the mountains to get away from people and take in the beauty. Spray paint doesn't belong on rocks on the top of a mountain. A little checking around and you will figure out how to get down. What next, painted arrows showing you where the route goes and how to get to the top?

When I did Fisher Chimneys several years ago, there was a bright orange arrow sprayed onto the rocks, pointing to the entrance gully to the chimneys.

Is that still there?

quote:

Originally posted by slaphappy:

quote:

Didn't someone mention that The Fisher Chimneys route has an arrow painted to mark the correct gully?

You are correct. As of mid August there was an arrow pointing up the correct gully. Pretty disgusting. What happened to adventure?
[Confused]
So, the gully is marked at the top and bottom then. There was too much snow to see the lower arrow when I went through in mid-July but the arrow below Winnie's Slide marking the top of the Chimneys was disgustingly clear.

Folks that must spraypaint to find their way need help.

I'm not sure what kind of help though.

Two summers ago while hiking the loop trail off of WA Pass that takes you up Ross lake and around Jack Mt. and back down to WA Pass to the East, there was a 5th class (at most) route that had white spray paint with arrows and huge anchors you could hang a truck off of. The peak's name escapes me, but it was the last peak before descending down the switchbacks to the eastern trailhead off the trail loop. Don't have my topos with me now, but will try to find out. There is a small lake just east of the peak. The route, which goes up the South side was approached via a trail from the lake, was easy scrambling. Pretty uneventful for only a couple hundred feet or so. You could see other peaks, including Jack, as well as WA Pass and it was around 8,000' Anyone know this route or mountain?