Yerba Mate in Seattle, (for less than $20/#?)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up some good organic mate at Uwagimya market for a good price. I like it better than the typical "Yerba Mate" brand that is sold everywhere too.

Another thought for you is to get some green tea with toasted brown rice in it. Good stuff and you can get a pretty good caffiene buzz off it. Loose leaf you can get it for about $4.50 for a 7oz bag at Uwagimaya too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
mate aint good imo. coffee fukin rules

Drink it the Argentina way. Fill mug with loose leaf mate (Rosamonte rockband.gif - Boca made Cruz de Malta isn't bad) insert bombilla. Add boiling water. Wait 20 seconds. That's a better stimulant than any expresso. Milder uptake, longer lasting.

They sell Guayaki Yerba Mate at the WP Zoo. It is hippy approved. 100% organic, rainforest grown, and the sale goes to help the environment and the local Paraguay tribes that grow it. It is a little pricey for the loose leaf $15 for 1/2 pound, but you get a pretty damn good discount (15% i think) if you are a zoo member. The bagged tea is like $10 per 1/2 lb (without the discount). Maybey a little more expensive but very good and direct from the source. The zoo is the only middleman. IMO the loose leaf is the way to go. It has like 4-6x the caffeine of coffee. Just make sure you use a press, an official yerba mate cup (kinda expensive), or what I found works great is the little green plastic "cup-pour-ri" thing for camping. If you use a regular tea ball the tea gets a bit...chunky. mmmmmm twigs!

(tea)>>> bigdrink.gif

Gourds are for yuppies. So is making it like tea. Locals drink it out of a coffe cup, piled to the brim with leaves, then filled with water. The bombilla (filtered straw) is the big requirement - so you don't get the twigs etc. in your mouth.

And $36/kg is a ripoff!

Gourds are for yuppies. So is making it like tea. Locals drink it out of a coffe cup, piled to the brim with leaves, then filled with water. The bombilla (filtered straw) is the big requirement - so you don't get the twigs etc. in your mouth.

And $36/kg is a ripoff!

Wow..... You’re HARD CORE!!! Are you from South America? Are you there now? Are you "local"? No, then keep your condescending advice to yourself. I am not going to buy some "straw" for $15 when my $1.50 coffee filter works just as well. Who cares how it is consumed? I am no sociologist, but I am uncertain how the manner in which someone consumes a beverage determines his or her socio-economical status. If you are going to be an expert in a subject, pick something more substantial than tea. If you're going to be an expert, don't be a jerk about it. And what’s with the metric conversion? I happen to think that $933 per Firkin is a great deal. Besides I feel better about paying a little more, knowing that it will support local S.A. tribes and the WP zoo.

And yes I am a Young (27) Urban (Seattle) Professional (AMA recognized medical care provider), or "Y.U.P.pie". How do you think I pay for all my equipment and my bunny killing SUV? Not by selling pot in Bellingham.

I would rather be a yuppie than a hippie. So put down your Frisbee, get in your VW bus, drive home, and go take a bath with your hemp soap.

Sorry to get on you Cj001f, your attitude just rubbed me the wrong way this morning. I appreciate your wisdom and counsel; just don't be a dick about it.

Peace

Kyle

bigdrink.gif

Are you there now?

I got back Wednesday. Hippie yelrotflmao.gif The yuppie comment was an observation on what seems the standard American cultural apropriation mechanism - we take one of the least important elements (the gourd) as essential, and leave out the comraderie (the group mate ceremony) and the practical (the bombilla)

My disdain for the Guayaki is because of the pandemic corruption in Paraguay I severely doubt much of the money reaches the locals.

$36/kg is a ripoff because you can mail order it for $5/kg http://store.amigofoods.com/yemapr.html Mate is commonly sold in .25kg, .5kg and 1kg packages, hence the metric conversion.

Congratulations on your safe travels and use of big pretty words. I appreciate the fact that you have learned so much from other cultures and have an inside view on how other countries operate. I have not yet been afforded such opportunities. I look forward to the day that I will be. My point was simply this. If you have useful, accurate information to share, don't spread it around like some pampas, arrogant, ass-clown that needs a ladder to climb down from his high horse. People will have much more respect for you, find your advice more credible and be more appreciative of said advice. In response to your reply, I have cups and mugs, therefore a gourd in not an "essential" item for me....just the mug. Secondly the Bombilla is not "practical" for my application. True it makes you look cool, but my simple Made in the U.S.A. pat# 5,967,019 "Cup-Pour-ri" is much more practical. Does that make me a bad person, a poser or a world-dominating American drone? No, it just means that I have a Made in the U.S.A. pat# 5,967,019 "Cup-Pour-ri" and I use it to make tea and coffee. And lastly, South Americans and people from the United States of America (you and I) have vastly different cultural traditions, one of those being our expression of camaraderie. I don't sit in a circle drinking tea with the other males in my tribe, the same way the tribes of South America do not get a keg, a bucket of 7 alarms from the "Wing Dome" and watch Monday Night Football.

That being said thanks for your insight. I will do some research on the Guayaki. I will also check out the website for the less expensive stuff. Thank you for suggesting that I do so.

See that wasn't so hard.

Peace homie

Kyle

• 2 months later...

Patagonia? Thats a clothing company. I have been all over this world to places like Tijuana, Vancouver BC and Cincinnatti. I think I would know if there was a country named after a clothing company. Geesh. Nice try though.

Seriously though, that is a good price. can it be ordered on the net?

20 dollars a pound!!! 3 dollars a kilo in patagonia

Today's offerta at La Anonima AR$2.70/kg. That's less than a buck a kilo.

Cheapest mail order is the yahoo site listed above (that I know of). Unless your nice, then I might bring you back a key or two.