n cascades trivia/riddle

geordie

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add to the lists (or correct others), but don't give it away..

Challenger, not Maude

Inspiration, not Swiss Peak

Chopping Block, not Fury

Davis, not Fernow

Slesse, not Cathedral

this game may help me with a research project I'm working on..

Three Fingers, not Baker

Rainier, not Forgotten

Green Giant Buttress, not Dreamer

Hozomeen, not Jack

Yellow Aster Butte, not Ruth

not if Lowell's right about Dome...

The rumor I heard was that Fred himself was along on the Dome trip. But I never got a first hand report about it and I don't recall seeing it written up anywhere.

Constance, not Cruiser

Chimney Rock, not Lemah

Redoubt, not Bear

Some of these are almost guessing on my part.

I don't have the historical references to respond in riddle form, but you've given us the thinly veiled answer already:

Bill- nope.

Here's a clue. In recent years Colin has moved some peaks from one column to the other. Once by himself.

Inspiration and Pinnacle/Chopping Block were Colin winter FAs. The latter was the solo. We saw photos of the former at the Dwayner/Marko/Colin Pickets traverse last year. Good fun. thumbs_up.gif

I'm glad this provided folks with some fun. So far it's brought two peaks into question for me.. Have Bear or Dome received winter ascents, if so by whom and when?

I'll admit I haven't been through the CAJ yet, but I think I've been through all the AAJs.

There's lots of FWAs to be had - the race starts anew 12/21.

I'm glad this provided folks with some fun. So far it's brought two peaks into question for me.. Have Bear or Dome received winter ascents, if so by whom and when?

Dome Peak: "First winter ascent by Fred Beckey, Paul Gonzales, and Laurel Black in March 1994." (CAG-2, 3rd Ed., p. 249) I neglected to check Fred's latest edition before my previous post. So the rumor I heard back then was true.

As for Bear, I don't recall ever hearing about a winter ascent. However, in about 1987 Mark Bebie and Monte Westlund made a winter attempt on the original Beckey/Fielding route on the north buttress. They found the buttress festooned with huge dollops of unstable snow mushrooms and retreated. I remember discussing this climb extensively with Mark by e-mail. He and I were going to attempt it together, but for some reason, I bailed out. At the time, planning a climb entirely by e-mail was very unusual. Mark worked at Microsoft; I worked at Fluke. This was before Internet Service Providers and the World-Wide Web and just a few universities and high-tech companies were on the Internet.

Lowell thanks for that info. FB keeps changing his mind on where he lists winter ascent info. Sometimes under the general pk info, sometimes under specific route info, and here under the NE peak. guess I missed it.. oops.

The history of attempt is interesting stuff, the Mt. Baker Club tried 3 successive winters before suceeding.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...