where to eat between Cle Elum and Vantage

dryad

I'm running away from the rain and out to Vantage again this weekend and seeking to expand my culinary horizons beyond the Mexican joint in Cle Elum that we always go to. Suggestions? The ideal place will have easy freeway access and cheap ghetto dive ambiance with good food.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Golden Harvest in Vantage has always been good to me (close sorta early though). Excellent pie!

There's another place (E-burg?) right on the freeway (north side), the "Bar-S" or something with "Bar" in the name confused.gif. Anyway, they give you your own personal thermos when you order coffee. Prtty good if you're beat and not looking forward to fending off sleep driving over the pass.

Edited by chucK

E-burg has the same Mexican joint but a different location. There's also Perkins on the west end of E-burg, right off the freeway. Big breakfasts served any time of day. Huge bread bowls that are really good. Plus your typical sandwhiches, burgers, etc. you get at a family restaurant. Used to eat there all the time in the college days.

The Blue Grouse (or sumpin' close to that) at Exit 106. It's kitty-cornered from the Perkins that nolanr mentioned.

There's also a truck stop just south of the interstate at Exit 109 with a restaurant right next door. Can't remember the name. Sak's, or something like that. Don't bother with the steaks; they use the soles from old climbing shoes. rolleyes.gif

With more time available to you on your way back home, a really good place to chow is the Valley Cafe' on 3rd Street and Pearl Avenue. Good "college kid" style menu and decent prices for good wines by the glass and microbrews. The Ironhorse (a sports bar kinda place) is directly across the street; obviously cheaper and domestic swill is available.

If you got more time and money, try Pearl's on Pearl, just around the corner from the Valley Cafe'. But have your date pick up the tab on that one. tongue.gif The trick here is to order the wine flight instead of wines by the glass. For a $10 flight, you get 4 glasses of wine (all reds or all whites) at about 2 or 3 oz each. That's over half a pint for $10. A single 4 oz glass will run about $6 all by itself. Economize!

D & M Espresso in E-burg. Not a place for a full meal, but the Clawson (americano with caramel syrup) is THE best. I tend to pass thru in the morning, and have found the Breakfast Calzone to be reasonably good. Can't speak for afternoon or evening fare. E-burg now has several D & M locations. The closest to I-90 is the original, which is in an old service station about a mile up Canyon Road.

Don't forget the new Taco Del Mar just off the Canyon Road exit.

Simona: if you want to spend about $10 more on your meal then I wholeheartedly recommend Mama Villone's in Cle Elum. North side of the road through town maybe about halfway along the street. The restaurant is in a house, not a traditional commercial building. I've eaten there about four times and have been very satisfied every time.

thumbs_up.gif

Breakfast = The Palace in E-burg. It is located about 1.5 to 2 miles straight down Main Street from the Eastern most exit for E-burg.

Lunch/dinner = The Tav in E-burg. It is located kitty corner from The Palace. If you like burgers, order the SuperMother with bacon.

Campus Utotem (or something like that) in Eburg. Cheap burgers. Can't rember where it is but it's not far from the freeway. We came into Eburg years ago on the old hwy and found an old fashoned burger stand. Rotovs?

Rosso's (or Russo's).Their slogan (in neon lights) is "U-Tote-Em" burgers. Take exit 106, go through the intersection with the Perkins, Chevron, and Blue Grouse, continue towards town on the old highway, cross over the RR tracks on the overpass and it's on the left before you get all the way into town. I'll give a thumbs_up.gif second on the place as a decent burger joint.

Folks have definitely hit on the four spots that are mandatory for me when I'm back visiting the 'burg: Campus U-Tote-Em for takeout burgers, The Tav for sit-down pub grub, D & M for coffee, and the Valley Cafe for upscale dining. I brought some D & M beans back to Colorado with me after Christmas last year and got all of my co-workers hooked on'em. Now we put in a monthly order.

Ahh, the Vallleeeyyyy.....just hearing the name of that place makes me hungry!

My other faves in E burg:

Palace for b-fast

Tav for their nachos

D and M for da beenz

Casa Fiesta (one in Cashmere as well) on Canyon Road for da Mexican.

But for a fancy pants place, the Valley is soooo yummy.

There is a really old establishment in Roslyn - brick construction, huge imported bar, pool tables, stage, and running water-in-gutter type spittoon at the base of the bar that serves up a wicked pot-roast special on Sunday nights. The burgers are also pretty sweet. Killer ambience and good food.

Plus you can meet and make peace with the slednecks that congregate there in winter...