I'm callin' it...

Fairweather

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The electoral college system was established, in part, to preserve the power and identity of individual States and to ensure that presidents are elected by States, not by the general populace. The USA is a republic, not a democracy.

If you want this to change, you'll probably be waiting awhile.

Won't argue with that. But do you see where I'm heading with this Colorado initiative? It's an idea I would like to see applied here where my party is the minority, but not in a similarly Republican state. The idea is good on paper, but poor in practice I suppose.

...and the Dem's attempt to change Colorado's system at this late date certainly qualifies as gerrymandering IMO.

That's a cool site, Fairweather. thumbs_up.gif

I'd be all for proportional distribution of electors, in WA or elsewhere. The CO initiative sounds like some kind of half-assed Tim Eyman thing that will likely get thrown out by the court. I'm surprised it made it onto the ballot.

Doesn't anyone have to vet citizen initiatives for constitutionality before they get placed on the ballot? That obviously doesn't happen in WA...

...enlightened like you, I suppose. Thankyou....for making my case.
Well, yes Fairblather, I am enlightened. I achieved nirvana in 1975 when I walked out the front door of the reception center at Ft. Lewis and saw Mt. Rainier looming over the Army airfield to the southwest. But I live in Grays Harbor County (Taholah), and nobody has made your case, least of all you.

I don't have any problem with the popular vote Foulwanker. Like Squid said if we had a popular vote 4 years ago then we wouldn't have the chimp wrecking our economy and making enemies with our allies.

On another note I find your tone confusing. You act like you want to be a voice of reason yet you can't seem to avoid making cracks about the liberal elite or being a jerk to someone who's trying to argue straight up with you (please note I'm not talking about me yellaf.gif).

Edited by AlpineK

What's with the left/lib slur Fairweather?

Not a slur. A fact. How else can you explain Jim McDermott?

Do you mean, Jim McDermott, the congressman who is consistently elected by >70% of the vote in his district? I am not sure what point you are trying to make by saying he is liberal. Of course, he is liberal, if he wasn't liberal, he wouldn't be elected with such overwhelming majority in his district.

I don't htink Bush has a chance this year. There has been a major get out the vote effort, and it hasn't been backed by the conservatives.

All of the polls show the opinions of "likely voters", not those of the few million new registered voters. These new voters are the slackers that the fatass Michael Moore (and others) have been recruiting. The polls have never taken their opinion into account. Quite frankly, if you're not going to vote, your opinion doesn't matter.

Now if we can only convince them to follow through and vote...

but the Reps are registering record numbers at NASCAR and WWF events. Mullets ALWAYS vote for the elephant.

• 2 weeks later...

The vote in Hawaii has traditionally favored incumbents, irrespective of party. That, plus the fact that Hawaii has its first Republican Governor in years has probably contributed to the swing. Here is a link to a recent poll taken in Hawaii showing a dead heat.

The economy in Hawaii does favor a strong military, however the economy is growing towards industry (Bio-Tech)that would benefit from Democratic President. Of course, now that Sisu is there, who the hell knows what could happen!

Aloha!