St. Helens Eruption

Jake

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The local news channel has reported that the lava dome has actually moved...about an inch in height and an inch and half to the north. Also the earthquake acitivity has increased suggesting a magma erruption. Gosh I never thought I would see this volcano blow twice in my lifetime! Kind of funny how the reporters are trying to get solid information from the scientists but they refuse to speculate...

Volcanos have a habit of making scientists look pretty silly, so I'm not surprised about the lack of speculation.

P.S. I wonder if the guys who decided to build the Johnston Observatory feel pretty silly for building a multi-million dollar observatory in memory of someone killed by the volcano in that exact area, now that there are signs of activity.

anyone happen to look east towards hood yesterday about 5? there was a 'tall' cloud above hood in a relatively cloudless sky.

well, it WAS a cloud, but i'm not the only one who had to double take.

with the activity up north and down south (http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc51147892.html) maybe the entire P-Rim is going down.

see ya in arizona bay

Volcanos have a habit of making scientists look pretty silly, so I'm not surprised about the lack of speculation.

P.S. I wonder if the guys who decided to build the Johnston Observatory feel pretty silly for building a multi-million dollar observatory in memory of someone killed by the volcano in that exact area, now that there are signs of activity.

That's some heavy irony at work there.

Here's the funniest bit of news so far:

Yamhill Co. Schools:

Yamhill-Carlton- Y-C high, Yamhill Grade and Carlton Elementary closing at 1:30 due to volcanic action. All walkers must have parents check students out through office. Buses will transport students at 1:30

That's farther away than where I live!

It was interesting to see the seismic stations of Mt. Hood and Rainier, how the activity is detected as far south as the Sisters.

There was a rescue on Mt. Hood yesterday from someone falling down over the bergschrund. While we were up there a HUGE amount of the Steel Cliffs came crashing off. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the scale was incredible. This happened along with debris fall I have not witnessed before on the mountain. I can only speculate that this was due to the seismic events up on Helens.

Some others did, I'll see if I can get one. Not that you could tell in that pile of rubble! The dust cloud was huge. It was very loud at Timberline, apparently. We were heading up Crater Rock and looked over to see what looked like the whole mountain shifting. It made us nervous to be underneath Crater Rock. Several huge boulders came rocketing off, crossing over the ropes connecting our litter, right where the litter had been 5 minutes earlier!