GODZILLA: WHY IM HARD

P.P. [sleep]"Ouch those personal insults."

Dude...I detect a pattern in your discourse. You start pissing people off when you make it personal. I don't comment on your personal climbing resumé, occupation, or whatever when I'm discussing issues. When you start doing that, however, you cross a line, and change the nature of the discourse.

"Actually you and Pope have both indicated (several times) that you have never climbed a hard route by modern standards. I could go bother looking up the threads but since you know it to be true you also know I do know more than squat."

If you think many 5.11's trad and a few thrashes at 5.12 trad are not hard by modern standards, then I guess we're a bunch of weak-kneed washed-up pussies. (BTW, I ain't climbing that hard now but pope probably be up for it.) If modern standards include sporty clip and hang techniques, count me out. I have more respect for a guy who can climb 5.7 smoothly from the ground up, place his own gear, and go on his way then some dude spending 3 weeks of his life trying to rehearse and wire a short bolted sport climb.

I stand by my word...you don't know squat. So when you get personal, you will more than likely be speaking from ignorance and asking for a harsh rebuttal.

"Dwayner! Please refrain from insulting me! I am a fragile poster."

Another Pugetian theme: if your skin is thin, you must by your verbage assume others are much thicker.

"Oh and did you mean perhaps logion?"

No, I meant "logician". You are a pseudo-logician.

I know you want to be my buddy so cool your jets and think before you type! [rockband]

- "Dwayner"

P.S. Visne scire quod credam? Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere et luctationes omnes praestitutas esse!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayner quote: “Dude...I detect a pattern in your discourse. You start pissing people off when you make it personal. I don't comment on your personal climbing resumé, occupation, or whatever when I'm discussing issues. When you start doing that, however, you cross a line, and change the nature of the discourse.”

PP rejoinder: Wow what chutzpah! Dwayner you have made numerous insulting comments to many as you discuss things here on CC.com. I plead guilty to, in this thread, referencing your resume, however occupation I have not and “whatever” casts such a wide net that I pleading guilty just to be safe. I would say; however, that by bringing up repeatedly your climbing past ( eg I am from the 70s) you have yourself brought your resume into the fray. Now just what line do you claim I crossed? Read on!

PP original quote: "Actually you and Pope have both indicated (several times) that you have never climbed a hard route by modern standards. I could go bother looking up the threads but since you know it to be true you also know I do know more than squat."

Dwayner reply:”If you think many 5.11's trad and a few thrashes at 5.12 trad are not hard by modern standards, then I guess we're a bunch of weak-kneed washed-up pussies. (BTW, I ain't climbing that hard now but pope probably be up for it.) If modern standards include sporty clip and hang techniques, count me out. I have more respect for a guy who can climb 5.7 smoothly from the ground up, place his own gear, and go on his way then some dude spending 3 weeks of his life trying to rehearse and wire a short bolted sport climb.”

”I stand by my word...you don't know squat. So when you get personal, you will more than likely be speaking from ignorance and asking for a harsh rebuttal.”

PP’s rejoinder: Getting personal? Speaking from ignorance? I hate to say it but 5.11 just ain’t very hard. By the way back in ’79 or ’80 Eric Wenstien told me that “anyone can climb 5.11.” I am not sure I agree but his point was well taken. Some time ago JayB suggested that perhaps you didn’t climb hard and that may be influencing your viewpoint. Pope responded saying he was right you didn’t climb hard. Now I do not think that Pope, JayB or myself was getting personal with insults when any of us claimed you did not climb hard routes by modern standards. I don’t climb hard by modern standards. Even by late 70’s standards 5.11 wasn’t hard. So I say “wrongo boyo” to the getting personal and the ignorance claims.

To be clear in my original quote “you” meant you Dwayner not you Pope and Dwayner. I’ll admit it was a bit ambiguous and you ran with it using the plural “you” in your response. Touche. I never said anything about being a washed up pussy. You did and I wonder why you think that way and why you think someone stating you are not climbing hard by modern standards is an insult.

Also I do claim several unprovoked insults from you to me. (eg P.P. you're back to your old, tired self) But read on below!

PP quote:"Dwayner! Please refrain from insulting me! I am a fragile poster."

Dwayner quote:”Another Pugetian theme: if your skin is thin, you must by your verbage assume others are much thicker.”

PP rejoinder:Silly I was poking fun. I was once called a Fragile Poster by your friend Pope. And as I demonstrated above I was not being personally insulting but with this line with humor indicating how your discourse could be interpreted as such.

PP quote:"Oh and did you mean perhaps logion?"

Dwyaner response: “No, I meant "logician". You are a pseudo-logician.”

PP rejoinder: I know silly. I was making a silly joke. Anyone reading send a PM if you liked it!

Dwayner quote: I know you want to be my buddy so cool your jets and think before you type!

PP rejoinder: I know you want to be my buddy so cool your jets and think before you type!

Hugs

PP

NB – And honestly I do think my little theory about hangdoging is not too far off the mark.

Dwayner - get to bed!

quote:

Originally posted by sk:

I read somewhere that lead climbs have rights and if some one is top roping or planning to top rope a climb, and someone willing to lead comes along said top roper is SUPPOSED to excuse themselves and let the lead climb go.

Reality is, this really doesnt work in most cases.

While it might be polite to let someone lead through if you are "projecting" (shudder) a route, I and just about all of my friends will be the last people to look down from halfway up and say..."oh, sorry, you wanted this?", lower off, clean all the gear, make it all purty, just so some clod with a lead rack can flail on the route? Who is to say that Mr Leader will actually only take 5 min? Or only take an hour and a half? Especially with a route like Godzilla, where people routinely wet their pants, you might be suddenly placed in a situation where Mr Leader now has to lower off, clean, retreat, walk around the top, give up the sharp end to his ropegun buddy, etc, all wasting your time. Just 'cause you thought to be polite.

If you would like to test my assertion that this is indeed reality, please go visit the Gunks on a summer weekend, and walk up to the nearest topropers and say, "sorry, chum, gonna lead through". They will give you a blank stare, draw their concealed weapon (they are all New Yorkers after all) and you will run! [MR T]

I am with Dywaner on this one, totally.

However, that said, it is COMMON COURTESY to get off a route as soon as you are done with it, not hog it Mountaineers style for the whole afternoon. Thats straight bullshit.

Alex

MY STANCE TEX.....IS DO WHAT YOU WANT YOU ARE MOST LIKELY NOT GOING AFFECT MY WORLD....JUST AS LONG YOU ARE NOT SOME WANKER POUNDING PINS IN FREE CLIMBS(CHUCK YOU THERE?)...I WAS LOOKING FOR CLARIFICATION.....THATS ALL......

I CLIMB LIKE 3 OR 4 FACE ROUTES A YEAR, I ENJOY THEM, I GOT WORKED I GO BACK THE CRACKS.....CARRYING THE DICUSSION AND SHIT TEX....

AND IF I WERE DOGGIN OLE DFA, THEN HE WOULS BE IN TEARS......

[big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

erik is JERRY SANCHEZ!!
[Eek!]

hardly uli....erik is erik....now if jerry wished he were me he can join the "i wish i were erik" fan clib....trask is the pres and gregw is vp, drul was treasurer but he kept devaluing the club bank account switching american green backs for canyuckidan brown money....he has been demoted to janitor of the club house....

"After putting several weekends and a lot of work into figuring out how to hang on through 80 feet of at-your-limit sickness, it IS frustrating to have to sit there while someone takes twenty minutes to figure out the first move. Is the frustration that big of a deal? No. Sport climbing is frustrating as *@, and that's part of the fun; beating your head against the wall to solve improbable sequences and link them all together."

So, if sport-climbing is frustrating and frustration is all part of the fun, why complain about having to wait? By that view, the additional frustration entailed in the uncertainty of waiting can only add to the "good times"!

Sorry, mate, but as a trad-man, it's really hard for me to relate to several weekends involving "80 feet of at-your-limit sickness".

Nothing I read so far changes my opinion and I'm surprised that the "Doctor" didn't enjoy the humorous sporty-stereotype.

[big Drink][rockband][big Drink]

Funny thing, I never hear of sport climbers complaining about gear climbers. It’s always gear climbers bitching and moaning about sport climbers. What gives? The only thing I hear from sport climbers as "trad" climbers pass by at the crags is chuckles:D or laughter [laf] at the self righteous idiot in a helmet with all new gear and chaotic mess of slings draped over themselves like a medieval barbarian proclaiming some mantra about bolts this or that. Climbing is supposed to be fun. If your so involved that your knocking people for being a sport or a trad climber and not focusing on you and your friends climbing maybe you should see a doctor. Or just do something else like play in traffic! [Moon]

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

erik is JERRY SANCHEZ!!
[Eek!]

hardly uli....erik is erik....now if jerry wished he were me he can join the "i wish i were erik" fan clib....trask is the pres and gregw is vp, drul was treasurer but he kept devaluing the club bank account switching american green backs for canyuckidan brown money....he has been demoted to janitor of the club house....

i quit the fan club, i didnt like the NO GIRLZ IN CLUBHOUSE rule. although I understand why Erik insisted on it...once he gets the opeation done he will allow chix into his hallowed clubhouse again without having to worry about ading to his paternity sheet... 6 younguns under the age of 3 is enough and im sorry he didnt do it sooner instead of passing on his Tacoma-riddled bad seed...talk about negative eugenics.

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:

So, if sport-climbing is frustrating and frustration is all part of the fun, why complain about having to wait? By that view, the additional frustration entailed in the uncertainty of waiting can only add to the "good times"!

Sorry, mate, but as a trad-man, it's really hard for me to relate to several weekends involving "80 feet of at-your-limit sickness".

Nothing I read so far changes my opinion and I'm surprised that the "Doctor" didn't enjoy the humorous sporty-stereotype.

OK, the point about frustration was not a good one. Frustration from actually climbing, good. People who monopolize routes without giving other people a go, bad.

And the Doctor might have enjoyed your "humorous" sporty stereotype had it seemed more like good satire than run-of-the-mill slagging and stereotyping.

quote:

Originally posted by TimL:

Funny thing, I never hear of sport climbers complaining about gear climbers. It’s always gear climbers bitching and moaning about sport climbers. What gives? The only thing I hear from sport climbers as "trad" climbers pass by at the crags is chuckles:D or laughter
[laf]
at the self righteous idiot in a helmet with all new gear and chaotic mess of slings draped over themselves like a medieval barbarian proclaiming some mantra about bolts this or that. Climbing is supposed to be fun. If your so involved that your knocking people for being a sport or a trad climber and not focusing on you and your friends climbing maybe you should see a doctor. Or just do something else like play in traffic!
[Moon]

Holy shit! The voice of reason speaks! [Eek!]

quote:

Originally posted by TimL:

Funny thing, I never hear of sport climbers complaining about gear climbers. It’s always gear climbers bitching and moaning about sport climbers. What gives? The only thing I hear from sport climbers as "trad" climbers pass by at the crags is chuckles:D or laughter
[laf]
at the self righteous idiot in a helmet with all new gear and chaotic mess of slings draped over themselves like a medieval barbarian proclaiming some mantra about bolts this or that. Climbing is supposed to be fun. If your so involved that your knocking people for being a sport or a trad climber and not focusing on you and your friends climbing maybe you should see a doctor. Or just do something else like play in traffic!
[Moon]

:::::raising hand in the air:::::

what he said.

Sport Climbing has helped me raise the bar in every climbing discipline. I now have the ability to solo long alpine routes (Torment-Forbidden Traverse) hard crack lines, and wiggle around in spandex sporto kswiss outfits.

Back to the subject - Godzilla is a mediocre 5.9 therefore the masses thinks it's classic.

I'm w/ TimL here...its all good...why classify oneself as a trad or sport climber? Go climb bolted faces...go climb multi-pitch trad routes...go climb at Smith...go climb at index or yosemite or indian creek or rifle...if its raining and your wife is giving you grief about road-trippin' w/ buds go pull on plastic, who cares (but you) anyway? If you lump yourself in a category, you've just halved your fun and that's stupid...I enjoy an onsight at my limit, but i also enjoy beating a route into the ground and finally walking away having sent something that kicked my a$$ previously...and I believe that makes you a better climber, period...

SPORTOS: THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WWF WRESTLING AND REAL WRESTLING BECAUSE THE MOVES ARE REHEARSED TIME AND TIME AGAIN AND THERE IS LITTLE CHANCE OF REAL STRUGGLE OR INJURY. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPORT CLIMBING AND REAL CLIMBING IS SIMILAR IF YOU PRACTICE EVERY MOVE FOR YEARS, WORK THE SEQUENCES ON THE GROUND FOR HOURS AND LEAVE YOUR PRO HANGING ON THE ROCK FOR CLIPPING EASE. MY GRANDMA AND DWAYNERS GRANDMA WORK 5.12 ALL DAY

REDMONK: DO NOT ASSUME THE DIFFICULTIES BEFORE YOU HAVE CLIMBED. I AM MUCH HARDER THAN PRINCELY AMBITIONS (WHAT A GAY NAME). I AM HARD BUT I AM STILL ONLY 5.9. YOU HAVE DEFEATED ME ONCE, BUT I AM SURE THAT IF YOU CONTINUE CLIMBING FOR LONG YOU WILL EVENTUALLY END UP HANGING FROM MY STEEP SIDES.

SPEAKING OF GAY NAMES: DR. FLASH AMAZING

PETER PUGET: I THROW FLAME IN YOUR DIRECTION. YOU'D BETTER ROW YOUR LITTLE BOAT BACK TO CPT. VANCOUVER'S SHIP IN A HURRY. YOU'RE GOING TO WISH YOU'D NEVER DISCOVERED THIS LAND [Mad]

Red Monk: you are obviously thin skinned and neurotic about attending a Canadian Bible school as noted by your elaborate responses. Chill out and smoke sum of that weed you aspire to. there is nothing wrong with Bible School except that everyone i have EVER met who went there has been defensive about attending it!!

"It's not a Bible School it's a CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY"