Index Crack List

assmonkey

I'm nosy, so I was poking around on Jason Martin's site, and I found this link (JTree crack list), and then I found this link (crack workshop).

Since I am currently trying to differentiate my ass from a hole in the ground at Index, I was wondering if any of you Index masters would care to craft a list like the one noted in the link above for us (I'm sure there are more than just me) Index wanna-bes. I would love to progress at Index, but I don't know where to start or where to go.

Maybe you guys have covered this already, but I didn't find anything like it by searching.

What is the path to redpointing Thin Fingers? assmonkey wants to know.

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest going to the UW Rock and start practicing on the cracks there. After you get them wired w/o feet start doing things like seeing how many jams you can fit into a particular crack. The crux on Thin Fingers is a face move at the bottom. If you have the UW Rock mastered, Thin Fingers will be easy.

Thin Fingers is actually a pretty easy route for Index. Its sinker hands all the way up. Here is a brief stab at something similar to the "Crack List" in your second link

Index Cracks:

p1 Even Steven

p1 that approach pitch to GNS, forget its name - wide

p1 GM

"5.9" - these are all pretty real for 5.9s

Toxic Shock

p1 Jap Gardens

Godzilla

Rogers Corner

p1 Davis Holland

5.10a

p2 GM -> Heart of the Country as one pitch sinker great practice for Thin Fingers!

Breakfast of Champions - more great practice for Thin Fingers!

"5.10a"

Libra Crack - thin hands!

Saggitarius - long pitch with everything!

hard 5.10

Davis-Holland on UTW

Godzilla p2 and Slow Children

Thin Fingers (I dont think its 11a at all, sorry)

Even Steven, upper

Iron Horse

others I am not good enough to climb

Senior Citizens in space is a great 5.8 thin hand crack at Private Idaho. Nice 5.9 offwidth Battered Sandwich is right next to it.

Also good 5.8's and .9's on that wall to the right as you hike up to the Inner walls. I think it's "Happy Puppy" and "Who put the purr in my pussy". I backed off what looked like a great 5.8 crack climb "Al's Armed Response" in the same area. It needed some major gardening (a year ago) and my belayer was being swarmed by yellowjackets so I downclimbed pretty fast. It has pretty cool positioning right on the end of an arete with a big ole crack splitting it perfectly. Index is a great place to learn crack climbing because of the bomber rock quality and good pro.

What is the path to redpointing Thin Fingers? assmonkey wants to know.

To specifically train for Thin Fingers you could toprope Thin Fingers to death.

You can get a rope up there by either climbing Tatoosh/Free At Last (5.9 burly squeeze) or Narrow Arrow Standard (5.6 hanta-virus chockstone crawling) to the big ledge with big tree, then climb down a tree to the TF anchors. If you find a 70m rope you can toprope it from the ground.

There is a nice sustained section of sinker hands, but I don't know how Alex can characterize it as sinker hands all the way. The sinker hands is a rest between the hard parts.

Add:

Rattletale 10a/b to the list above.

What about princely ambitions (10a??). it's pretty slabby with flake moves along the bottom but up toward the top there some crack. also the second pitch has got some good crack climbing on it. what is that 11a on the right crack parallel to princely ambitions pitch 2?. Oh ya, second pitch of city park is pretty killer too.

Thin Fingers is actually a pretty easy route for Index. Its sinker hands all the way up. Here is a brief stab at something similar to the "Crack List" in your second link

Index Cracks:

p1 Even Steven

p1 that approach pitch to GNS, forget its name - wide

p1 GM

"5.9" - these are all pretty real for 5.9s

Toxic Shock

p1 Jap Gardens

Yeah - thin fingers is actually that near the bottom of the crack but it rapidly opens up to nice hands.

Uhmm - P1 of Jap Gardens is not 5.9 - Going to the intermediate rap anchors is 5.9+ I'd venture. Going all the way to the top of P1 is 11c (I think the lower 11b crux in the cramer book is actually harder and i think the 11b crux on the full Sagittarius is harder still)

that said the mid anchor on Jap Gardens is great lieback crack practice - won't get you ready for thin fingers though.

um princly a (5.9) doesn't have very much crack

In order to construct a list for index similar to the J-tree ones you would have to do a lot of cleaning I think so get out your sky valley rock and brush

has libra or pitch 3 of gm been mentioned, timberjack has some crack but you can lie back it.

The Key is simple... Take bunch of gear and fall your monkeyass...er...Assmonkey up the route. Their is no shame in falling and "French Free-ing" a route that chalenges you. If you have to, place a piece of gear, yard up on it, stand in a sling, whatever. When you get to the top, pull up a second rope (one 60 meter wont get you to the ground), set up a top rope and have fun.

Don't let anyone tell you Thin Fingers ain't 11A. Personally I find Thin Fingers harder than all the 10's I've done at Index. It's easier than all the 11b's and the few 11c's I've done there. I've been on the route in the past few weeks with a partner (that just redpointed an 11c face/crack at Index) who would tell you it's every ounce of 11A.

So A.M., if you're going to be differentiating between your backside and a hole in the ground, this guide-line might help: Ratings are normally accurate to within a letter grade but can be off more. So don't be surprised if a 10A kicks your ass and another 10A is a walk.